Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You should have called the cops, then have the person paged over the store intercom.
What could the cops do? I don't think they write tickets for lousy parking, not in a private parking lot at any rate.
They might prove useful at preventing an assault though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 AM

237 posts, read 499,549 times
The stupidity in this thread is entertaining at least!

The OP posts a legitimate question about a situation that would hack off every person in this thread. Yet, they all dogpile on the OP for keeping his vehicle looking nice by parking in the back of the lot. I'll assume some of the naysayers in this thread are being intentionally daft, because I can't imagine them having such a dumb opinion with a straight face...

Also, there is a clear divide between parking at the back of the lot and minding your own business, versus intentionally double-parking in multiple spots. The former is just someone like myself who wants to take care of their vehicle and be left alone, the latter is a brazen attempt at attention-whoring. The difference could not be more clear!

j

Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Rant ahead:

So tonight after work, I decide to stop at Fry's (grocery store) and pick up a few necessities- beer, olives, Mt. Dew, fried chicken- the usual. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS park away from EVERYONE else no matter what vehicle I'm driving, I don't need my car dented, dinged, or scratched so I always park at the end of the row away from all cart returns and other vehicles as well as entrances/exits. It might be a little walk but it's much better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

Because it was a fairly nice day and I wasn't getting many groceries, I drove my Corvette. I park at the end of the parking lot, away from every other vehicle. I do NOT take up two spaces, just a single space right between the lines. I go inside and get my few items. I come out about 15 minutes later and I immediately see some ****ing jack*** in a POS 90's Honda Civic with the mirrors taped to the vehicle and the bumper almost dragging on the ground has parked INCHES away from my driver side allowing me NO access from my driver side door into my car. I have to climb OVER the center console to get into the drivers seat. I'm both embarrassed and IRATE at this point, I literally wanted to wait for this SOB who did this and punch him right in the ****ing mouth.

I checked the door for damage which there was none, no scratches or dings. I made sure to check everywhere to be sure he didn't **** up something else on my vehicle but luckily I didn't find anything wrong.

But who the HELL does this?! Don't people have any respect for other's property?! I'm minding my own damn business, I park away and want my vehicle to be left alone.

What's up with people nowadays?! I've NEVER had something like this happen before and I live in a fairly upscale area where nice vehicles are everywhere, why the Hell am I the unlucky one?!

Had to rant.
It's a common thing, idiots with clunkers love to park next to nice clean new cars even if they have to go out of their way to park.
You are lucky in a way because it was probably a thin person who parked next to you and they don't have to open the door as far to get in or out.
You never have to worry about the fatties parking close to you because they will cruise the parking lot until a close to the door spot opens up. Don't want to walk to far to get the next candy bar.

Warning, never resort to taking two parking spots that will result in an automatic key job.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Speedy, it just comes with the territory when you drive a nice car and take the back of the lot spaces so no one is next to you. What the guy with the Honda did was childish and annoying, but it comes with the territory. The guy was just f'ing with you and while I would be just as pissed off, you need to let it go. You are kind of playing into his hand being this upset over it. To avoid the door block in the future, park next to a median or planter with the driver side door, so while they can park close, they can't block your door. I can't tell you how many times I had someone do this to me when I had my M3.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Rant ahead:

Because it was a fairly nice day and I wasn't getting many groceries, I drove my Corvette. I park at the end of the parking lot, away from every other vehicle. I do NOT take up two spaces, just a single space right between the lines. I go inside and get my few items. I come out about 15 minutes later and I immediately see some ****ing jack*** in a POS 90's Honda Civic with the mirrors taped to the vehicle and the bumper almost dragging on the ground has parked INCHES away from my driver side allowing me NO access from my driver side door into my car. I have to climb OVER the center console to get into the drivers seat. I'm both embarrassed and IRATE at this point, I literally wanted to wait for this SOB who did this and punch him right in the ****ing mouth.

I checked the door for damage which there was none, no scratches or dings. I made sure to check everywhere to be sure he didn't **** up something else on my vehicle but luckily I didn't find anything wrong.

But who the HELL does this?! Don't people have any respect for other's property?! I'm minding my own damn business, I park away and want my vehicle to be left alone.
Haha. You know, that POS Civic maybe his "Corvette" and he doesn't want to get dinged. :-)

I am always of the opinion that if we are worried about scratches, dings and small bumps on our car, we shouldn't be driving our car out of our garage. No matter how careful we are, it is bound to happen.

So either we let it go or not drive. :-)

Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What could the cops do? I don't think they write tickets for lousy parking, not in a private parking lot at any rate.
They might prove useful at preventing an assault though.
They may not be able to write a ticket, but at least they could be there when the guy comes back out and tell him that he needs to learn how to park. This guy expected the OP to crawl through his passenger door and drive away, and that's exactly what happened. Sometimes you have to surprise them.

Maybe the OP should have done like Madea (Madea Goes To Jail) and got a forklift to move it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
It's people like what the OP described that make me think twice about replacing my beater.. which already has countless dents.. one more dent, who care?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They may not be able to write a ticket, but at least they could be there when the guy comes back out and tell him that he needs to learn how to park. This guy expected the OP to crawl through his passenger door and drive away, and that's exactly what happened. Sometimes you have to surprise them.

Maybe the OP should have done like Madea (Madea Goes To Jail) and got a forklift to move it.
You really think a cop should hang out waiting for this guy to come back so he can tell him how to park? I can only hope you are joking.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Anyone who thinks parking in a spot in the back of the lot is somehow equivalent to taking up two parking spots is pants on head retarded. Same goes for parking next to someone and parking within inches of someone.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
It's situations like this when you have a nice vehicle that have driven me to not driving mine anymore ... and have sold all but one of my nice cars which is only driven now from home to a secure location destination; ie, I will not park it in a public parking lot anymore after being key'ed several times and having to repaint it twice because the damage was so extensive.

All the rest of my vehicles are older high mileage with the usual wear and tear and faded paint jobs, so don't attract undue attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive