Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 AM

846 posts, read 1,401,298 times

Advertisements

We were in a similar incident. Parked at red light. First in line. Guy hit us, hard. He was texting (however, we know this to be true as he admitted it). But we waited for cops. Come to find out, he wasn't insured! While I'll never know what happened to him, I do know that I hate driving now. We were hit again a week after getting our car repaired from the first guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I have been hit 4x by cell phone distracted drivers (after 37 yr accident free career of driving truck)

A very good friend (High School Teacher) was hit on his bike and killed by a previous student he had spent HOURS counseling and helping to graduate. That driver fled the scene. The family of my friend is struggling very hard (3 yrs later). Financially and emotionally.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Actuaries have known for over twenty-five years that the amount of vehicle damage in the USA due to phone use accidents MATCHES that of drunk driving. I haven't seen a teen who WASN'T TEXTING, particularly female. It's "all about them." Five years from now we're going to have rehab clinics to wean off their phone and have a life.

Shock due to rear ending may not hit your body until it begins to heal, which may be several days. Also, reporting accomplishes several other things: was her license and insurance current, and the application of state/provincial law may result in a citation, fine, suspension; you know, the kind of things that do get peoples' attention.

Note the TIME EXACTLY of the hit. Later she may recant/not admit and the time log can be traced.

I'm going to be a witness in an accident where a court services vehicle T-boned a small Honda while the lady was on her radio phone. The time is critical. Two weeks later what do I see? The same government employee pulling out of a parking space, while on her phone. In Vancouver, B.C. that's been "socially unacceptable" for almost two years now, no matter how much you think it's "all about you"!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
No report=no accident=nothing learned.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Seems like any time I am on the road lately I am surrounded by people eating, smoking, engaged in conversations on cell phones, anything but paying attention and driving. The driver behind me today not only was deep in conversation, but was taking notes on a spiral pad on her most important conversation. Of course, all of these people are within inches of one another at a stop light.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Agreed. OP was in rush as he had to attend an interview so she got lucky there. But yeah I am sure she must have started texting right after she went back in her car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Seems like any time I am on the road lately I am surrounded by people eating, smoking, engaged in conversations on cell phones, anything but paying attention and driving. The driver behind me today not only was deep in conversation, but was taking notes on a spiral pad on her most important conversation. Of course, all of these people are within inches of one another at a stop light.
I try my best to have a person behind me who is just driving. I wonder how long before I stop trying as "everyone" is doing something!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Not necessary, in most cases where there are no injury's and both cars are "drivable" the police will not even come out. They just say, exchange information and be on your way.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Teenagers.

A few months ago, I was waiting at a red light. I was looking in the rearview mirror, and there were two teenage girls applying their makeup while stopped. Then they accelerate into my car, while the light is still red.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. If it were me, I'd be feeling really bad about it, and changing the way I drive. That's just me though.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
As she was leaving she probably texted "OMG - TTLY rear-ended a ride - epic fail - and it's aight wit da peep"
Classic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive