Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times

Advertisements

To those who think they can smoke anything in a car, on a consistent basis, in any manner, and not leave a smell and residue behind - all of you are incorrect, without exception. You're kidding yourself. Your sense of smell is greatly diminished as a smoker, so you are not capable of making reasonable judgements of what smell may exist. I chuckle when smokers I know tell me they don't smell because they blew the smoke out the window, or sprayed some Febreze. Wake up. If you are a smoker, you smell of it 24/7. I've never met one who did not.

To those who think the smell left in a vehicle by a consistent smoker can be removed - you are wrong. At best it can be covered by a less offensive odor, but it can never be fully removed. Eventually a seat will be compressed, emitting the smoke odor contained within. Or the HVAC will be set in a way to blow across the residue left behind. Or any other number of ways smoke odor is retained in a vehicle. As one of many examples I could give, for a while I was renting full size pickups for work. I'd drive them 1000-1500 miles during a week. I picked up a Ram that had been heavily smoked in right before I got it, although smoking in rentals is prohibited by the company. It was disgusting but they had no other truck to give me. When I returned, me and all of my possessions smelled of smoke. Fast forward a year, and I ended up with the same truck. It still stank, although the truck had been cleaned countless times. None of the other rentals I took out, which was easily a dozen, smelled of smoke.

I'm an ex-smoker, 15 years out. I speak from experience.

For those of you who smoke in your vehicles and are defiant about it - good for you. It's your life and your property to do with as you wish. But don't get upset if I pick up the butt you just tossed out at a stoplight and throw it back through your sunroof. I'm just returning something you dropped.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 03-13-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Your sense of smell is greatly diminished as a smoker, so you are not capable of making reasonable judgements of what smell may exist.
True, and the sense of smell is very much connected to taste. That's why I'm so perplexed by chefs smoking. Those Hells Kitchen shows with the next great chefs, show all of them puffing away when they're not in the kiitchen.
Most peculiar.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
No; not even when I smoked.It made the cart stink and lowered the value or resale.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM

26 posts, read 117,546 times
I smoke occasionaly, but my father smokes. He can smoke in his car all he wants. But I don't allow smoking in my car whatsoever. 1) You can never get the smell out of your car, no matter how hard you try.. 2) Cigarette ashes are all over the place. Even in places where you least expect it.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
I do not smoke in my car........

and this is my reaction when I see someone pull a pack or a single or anything that burns out while in my car.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
I hate to break it you but...

Study measures risks of exclusive pipe smoking

Stop trying to deny the facts and get yourself off that **** before its too late.
Most studies (including the one you referenced)that measure the risks associated with pipe smoking do not distinguish between those that inhale the smoke and those that don't. Inhaling smoke into your lungs, whether it is tobacco smoke, wood smoke, or burning tire smoke, etc. is going to have health consequences.

According to a study by the American Review of Respiratory diseases:

the following chart summarizes the increased risk of cancer for the following activities:
2) Lung cancer risk index study*:

Risk
·Non-smoker 1.0 (base number)
·Cigarette – 20 grams / day 16.0 (i.e. 16 x the risk of non-
smokers)
·Cigar – 20 grams / day 3.2
·Pipe – if > 10 bowls per day 6.7
·Pipe – if 5 bowls per day 3.2
·Pipe – if 3 bowls per day 1.5
·Pipe – if 2 bowls per day 1.26
·typical - 2 bowls every 2-3 days ~1.05 (almost same as non-smoker)

As I said earlier, I have accepted the risks associated with the way I use tobacco (less than typical). In addition, this study does not address different types of tobacco. There are different levels that the tobacco is processed/sweetened, and other studies suggest that the more natural tobaccos are safer.

Tobacco is an easy scapegoat, but it is no more dangerous than many other behaviors that we engage in every day. The way I use tobacco, the statistical effect on my long term health is less than many other factors that are far less 'scary' than tobacco, including eating meat, commuting on a bicycle, riding a motorcycle, having multiple sex partners, drinking more than 5 drinks of alcohol a week, traveling to Asia, or drinking soda (which I don't do). The anti-smoking cult is just a huge propaganda machine ever since they got tons of money from the legal settlement. Moderation really does work. "Just say No!" may be appropriate for impressionable kids, but informed adults can make their own decisions. You have to weigh risks and rewards, and choose which risks are worth the rewards.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What did you do with your butts? Just toss them out the window?
Yes but carefully after stubbing it out on the side mirror.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

373 posts, read 644,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I was at a traffic light the other day and saw a guy smoking a cigar in a BMW, and thought he's destroying that car. So it had me thinking how many people smoke in there car. Personally it I would never buy a used car where someone smoked in it. It destroys the resale value, you could get another smell to overpower it, but with the other smell wears off the smoking smell will always come back. Also it's impossible to clean the rugs and seats of the smoke smell, short of replacing everything made of cloth material inside the car, cleaning the cars ventilation system the smell is impossible to get rid of.
No way! Yuck...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM

373 posts, read 644,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You mean like the 3 posts directly above you? When I smoked, yes I smoked in the car. widnows/sunroof open, ozone in the vents and the smell never stuck around
Your kidding yourself if you really believe that. I can sit at a light and smell someone smoking near by. It is a disgusting smell that lingers on everything contaminated by the smoking.

Grandpa...pipes do stink. Right up there with cigars...puke.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
I smoke.. but never in the car or at home and that is because i have a 3 yr old daughter. She has never seen me smoke but I assume she has smelled it on me. At any rate, when I get the urge to smoke while driving, I just pull over and smoke outside. I am a smoker but even I don't like the smell of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive