Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 AM

427 posts, read 947,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Last night I stopped at a traffic light and I was in the right lane. I could either go straight when the light turned green or I could turn right on red which I intended to do. As I stopped to be sure no cars were coming a car behind be started blowing his horn for me to go before I had time to be sure it was safe. This sorta disrespected me so I then just decided to wait until the light changed and make the horn blower wait longer.. After the light changed and I turned he also turned and then quickly passed me blowing his horn again. At this point I had to go ahead and give him the finger. It just so happened that about 1/2 mile away all traffic had stopped for a train and guess who ends up beside me at the light....the horn blower....He acts like he is afraid to look my way . I pull up beside him and raise my elbows and then act like a baseball player pounding his fist into his glove,,,,,,I bet it scared the disrespectful horn blower.. Lesson is dont be so sure you can get away from someone you disrespect while driving....He is lucky I am not a hot head or I might have thrown something at his car or worse.
He shouldn't have blown his horn, but you shouldn't have acted the way you did either. If I'm in a right lane where I can turn on red but I don't want to do it, I just don't put my blinker on. I will just wait for the green light.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Just sayin, to react negativity to ones rage puts you right at their level.

Now, The absolute best thing anyone can do is ignore a road raging driver.

By further holding him up, you now really gave him a reason to me more pissed. Was the first horn honk intended for you or was it possibly for someone else?

What if he wasn't scared to look at you. What if he decided to keep his cool now because he does have a gun on him and he dont want you to get out because then he may have to shoot you?

Just things to think about.

I used to get pretty hot headed myself when people started with me. I dont anymore just because its not worth it. To many people end up dead over stupid stuff.

This was back years ago, but once, I got pretty upset with some young kid who pulled out in front of me. 55 mph highway. Then he held everybody up for several miles going well under the speed limit. Everybody was mad. I honked and yelled a bit. We finally got to a light, still upset, I yelled at him, "what the **** is your problem.

His response, fiancée in hospital with his dead baby.

We dont know what is going through peoples heads. Many be be road raging because they are just jerks, but some really may have other things going on. He probably should not have been driving, but he was. I felt bad. That is the day I stopped being a hot head.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
His response, fiancée in hospital with his dead baby.
Something similar happened to me, back in the 1990's. A car pulled behind me and started to blow his horn and try to pass. I decided to teach him a lesson and blocked him from passing. When he finally passed, I saw in the rear seat a woman holding a kid covered in blood; they were going to the hospital. I felt like excrement at that time.

Ever since, whenever I come across an aggressive driver, I just give them the benefit of the doubt and let them pass. You never know.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
...and you're lucky he didn't have a gun, tough guy.
Hi GarageLogic--

^^This.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
If I am first at the light I go from 0 to the speed limit as fast as my car will take me, leaving the others far behind. By doing so I am not breaking any laws but I do have a better chance of not catching the the next red light and so on and so on...

I would never honk my horn at someone who is not necessarilly quick at leaving a green light. Its one thing if they sit there but if they are just slow I deal with it. No need to be that guy blowing his horn because you arent getting your way.
I wouldn't be so sure. "Excessive acceleration" is what a ticket a buddy received said.

As for OP, his history will show that conflicts he finds himself in may not be conflicts at all. For instance, road ragers don't have a problem looking at other drivers. Pounding one's fist at them won't scare them off. Egging them on by not moving when the street was clear was pointless as well.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM

355 posts, read 913,572 times
I was in labor and some road-range idiot felt it was his duty to speed up and slow down to keep my husband from passing him after my husband honked at him at the light to go when it turned green.
How about people just get on with life? Why the need to "one-up" someone on the road?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times
I just dont understand road rage

I drive, sometimes people honk their horns at me for like no reason, I don't care and just move on..

Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
What's even more curious is why someone would feel the need to make a forum post of this event

Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Last night I stopped at a traffic light and I was in the right lane. I could either go straight when the light turned green or I could turn right on red which I intended to do. As I stopped to be sure no cars were coming a car behind be started blowing his horn for me to go before I had time to be sure it was safe. This sorta disrespected me so I then just decided to wait until the light changed and make the horn blower wait longer.. After the light changed and I turned he also turned and then quickly passed me blowing his horn again. At this point I had to go ahead and give him the finger. It just so happened that about 1/2 mile away all traffic had stopped for a train and guess who ends up beside me at the light....the horn blower....He acts like he is afraid to look my way . I pull up beside him and raise my elbows and then act like a baseball player pounding his fist into his glove,,,,,,I bet it scared the disrespectful horn blower.. Lesson is dont be so sure you can get away from someone you disrespect while driving....He is lucky I am not a hot head or I might have thrown something at his car or worse.
Honestly, so are you.

For all you knew he might have been packing, and instead of just ignoring you he might have pulled out a weapon when you started taunting him.

Nothing like passing judgement on someone for juvenile behavior, by reacting with juvenile behavior. The bragging about it on a forum.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Don´t give anyone the finger unless you are ready for a full on physical /armed confrontation. It is asking for a fight.

My older brother has mellowed a lot but used to have quite a violent streak, I saw a lot of s**t start because of a finger.
I have a similar older brother. Someone cut him off then honked and fingered him. At the next light he got out of his car, ripped the mirror off their car tossed it on the hood and drove off. He has an anger management problem I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive