Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I believe you are correct about there being far more accidents at lower speeds than those found on the interstates and some rural areas. The fatality factor comes into the statistics that do show for each 5 miles per hour over the speed limit the far greater the chance of any accident at that speed causing a fatal injury. There have been years of study from different highway safety study groups that all say the same thing. The traffic engineers know what the overall top speed should be on average for any given road.
I'm sure that that statistic came as no surprise, and I can't imagine why they would do the study over and over again. (Maybe something to do with Einstein's definition of insanity, expecting different results.) Similarly, when a person falls off a building, for every story the person falls, there is a greater chance that he will be killed when he hits the ground. But the number of people falling off their garage or their porch is much greater than the number falling (accidentally) 20 stories or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:22 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
The punk cops didn't care about the maximum safety being exercised. They just cared about their tickets & self-preservation of their pathetic employment/ existence. Absolutely sickening.
That didn't take long.

I haven't read through the whole thing, but I figure I'll be reading something to the effect of "The legal limit is "illegally" under posted... Wah!" within a page or two.

EDIT: I was close, only the time, the limit is merely inappropriate. But the comparison between American and German drivers serves to remind me that all of the speeding threads here end up being about the same things each time.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 08-12-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
II also see sometimes cops out there with radars.

That is why I always drive with a radar detector.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Speeding at 1 MPH over the limit warrants a citation. That being said most LEOs won't write a ticket for less than 9 MPH over the limit, generally speaking.

Not in all states like Pennsylvania. You have to be doing 5 or 10mph over the posted speed limit before the cop can legally (per state law) write you a speeding citation.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
That is why I always drive with a radar detector.
I don't purposely run over the limits too much so radar is not useful for me and that's why I don't have one.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I don't purposely run over the limits too much so radar is not useful for me and that's why I don't have one.

Your original post stated you drive 10-15mph over the posted speed limit. That sounds like speeding to me.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
I thought I'd ask as I am not sure. I drive a lot and as I leave right before rush hour traffic people are driving over speed limit not one or two but the entire flow is 10-15MPH over the speed limit. I drive with flow in right lane but that is again at time 10-15MPH over. I also see sometimes cops out there with radars. My question is do they pull someone who is going like slightly faster than the flow or they can randomly pick anyone as everyone is going way above speed limit? Anyone with experience or who knows better about this? Thanks
I have had too many speeding tickets to even count, and almost every one of them I got while driving with the flow of traffic, 10-15 over.

Driving in the right lane is a big plus. I can't ever remember getting pulled over in the right lane, and it is not uncommon for me to some times be driving 20 plus over in the right lane while passing cars to the left of me, like they are sitting still.

The biggest reason though for getting speeding tickets is your car. I have always driven older model sports cars. The cops hate them. I'm sure it's the reason for almost all of my tickets. Why cops want to wade into the middle of a pack of late model SUVs, to pull over one 20 year old Honda CRX, I have no clue. At least they could have the decency to rip off the people who have the money to pay for the ticket. Add to that out of state plates. I have never been able to get through a long road trip without at least one speeding ticket. I just include a speeding ticket in the budget for my trip.

The next way to avoid a speeding ticket is drive in the middle of a pack of cars. Make sure there is a car in front of you, one behind you, and one on each side of you. Once you break out of the pack, you are screwed if there is a cop any where around. On one trip I was driving on the back end of a pack of cars, trying to move up, without any luck. It was a holiday weekend, and I spotted three cars in a short distance pulled over on the side of the road getting tickets. I started panicking. I knew I was in trouble. Then I spotted a forth cop just getting back into his car from a traffic stop. I immediately slowed down to the speed limit, but it was too late. About a minute later I saw the last cop coming up fast behind me with his red and blue lights on.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:29 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Your original post stated you drive 10-15mph over the posted speed limit. That sounds like speeding to me.
I said with flow of traffic which is 10-15 MPH at times. If I am alone or noone is nearby I go by speed limit may be 5 over but that's all about it. I don't drive 15 over if it is not flow of traffic. I don't lead the pack as well. So I don't need a radar to beat cops.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times
Honestly..right now I'm living in Michigan between the cities of Detroit & Chicago and I-94 is the highway that connects the two..I travel to both cities weekly (short distance) the traffic flow is almost always between 80-85 even though the posted speed limit is 70. I rarely see police on this highway speed trapping, whenever I do they're always in the same spot..so normally I'm the leader of the pack..a couple days ago I was on my way to Detroit and I was doing 85 and their was a trail of about 8 cars behind me doing the same thing.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:45 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
KaaBoom, maybe you had no luck moving up because a sub-100 horsepower CRX is not as much of a "sports car" as you'd like to think. It was always more of a "sporty" economy car. And now, it's just another 20+ year old POS pull-me-over mobile.

The average mid-sized beige sedan is faster at highway speed, better suited to Interstate speeding in comfort and relative quiet, and is less likely to get picked out of a pack. Of course, even a beige sedan won't save you if you're the only one on the road. But it could save you from certain assumptions and mean a warning for the polite young gentleman, instead of a ticket for the wanna-be street racer punk. (As we all know, police are profilers, and you got profiled.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive