Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Cars that drive themselves...still trying to wrap my head around the "why" and "who cares" aspect of this. You have to sit there and do something anyway, and I kind of like driving for it's enjoyment aspects. Maybe if you could sit in the back and pretend you have a chauffeur?

Star Trek transporters...now there's a market. Dinner in Paris? Why yes.
"Why?" There have already been numerous reasons enumerated in this thread, from improved safety to improved fuel economy to increased highway capacity to greater independence and mobility for the handicapped to reduced driver fatigue over long-haul trips or lengthy commutes, et cetera.

"Who cares?" Anyone who cares about any of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
And just like that, hundreds of thousands of truck drivers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, and delivery drivers will find themselves without a job. And along with them will go the truck stops, restaurants, and hotels that cater to them.
Who cares. We'll go find something else to do.

That ain't gonna happen any time soon though.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Why?" There have already been numerous reasons enumerated in this thread, from improved safety to improved fuel economy to increased highway capacity to greater independence and mobility for the handicapped to reduced driver fatigue over long-haul trips or lengthy commutes, et cetera.

"Who cares?" Anyone who cares about any of the above.
I guess I just can't see this technology being as practical as everybody would like it to be. Theoretically, sure, there are advantages, and I'd love to have a chauffeur that charges nothing to haul my a$$ around while I text and write emails or nap, but I doubt it will be that easy.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
Quote:
Who cares. We'll go find something else to do.

That ain't gonna happen any time soon though.
I agree if you mean the changes to those professions. Completely automating a workforce will take a generation (20-25 years after 2020).

Quote:
I guess I just can't see this technology being as practical as everybody would like it to be. Theoretically, sure, there are advantages, and I'd love to have a chauffeur that charges nothing to haul my a$$ around while I text and write emails or nap, but I doubt it will be that easy.
It won't be that easy at first, but things like this take time to refine and establish in society.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Fully autonomous cars are a ways off; the systems in development now and being gradually filtered into new cars will still require driver supervision. But even those will begin to address many of the enumerated issues, particularly as they reach a critical mass.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
The chances of driverless cars becoming plentiful anytime soon are essentially zero, and our out-of-control legal system is reason #1, primarily due to the staggering amounts of $$$ which companies such as Toyota are in the process of having to shell out to settle lawsuits for claims of unintended acceleration, as the WSJ reported in a scary column by Holman W. Jenkins on 12-17-13,

Toyota is being asked to prove the unprovable as Jenkins' column points out---that its software didn't go haywire in some untraceable manner which neither Toyota nor anybody else has been able to duplicate in a court of law or anywhere else.

In other words, stay away from them, and hold the confetti, since they're not in any danger of being produced anytime soon.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The chances of driverless cars becoming plentiful anytime soon are essentially zero, and our out-of-control legal system is reason #1, primarily due to the staggering amounts of $$$ which companies such as Toyota are in the process of having to shell out to settle lawsuits for claims of unintended acceleration, as the WSJ reported in a scary column by Holman W. Jenkins on 12-17-13,

Toyota is being asked to prove the unprovable as Jenkins' column points out---that its software didn't go haywire in some untraceable manner which neither Toyota nor anybody else has been able to duplicate in a court of law or anywhere else.

In other words, stay away from them, and hold the confetti, since they're not in any danger of being produced anytime soon.
Many years ago we ran into a weird failure of very low probability on a major copier product. Never did figure out where it came from. But we did, after a year and some millions learn to detect that it had occurred. So we added software to detect it and reset the offending software. And that worked 90% or more of the time. If that did not work the machine would go berserk but other systems would catch it and shut it down.

So yeah you can have software or, worse, software/hardware failures whose causal you cannot find. I know of no way to prove that Toyota or anyone else has a design free of such faults. You simply drive all the ones you can find out and pay for the left overs in court.

It should be reasonably straightforward at not outrageous costs for an auto manufacturer to log sufficient data to tell what went wrong if not what caused it. But they don't really want to do that.

I would think the automated truck will be the first implementation. And they simply put a couple of cameras in the right spots and have a reasonably air tight defense against most suits. If you look at the potential cost impact on that industry they will risk it every time.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM

961 posts, read 2,025,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How is this specific to automated cars?
It isn't, but if you're in the car at 80 mph, it's a more immediate danger than if your cellphone gets hacked.

(I may have misread you, I interpreted your comment as saying how are cars being hacked different from any other computerized electronic device).

Last edited by superseiyan; 01-06-2014 at 07:54 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM

Driverless car tech gets serious at CES - CNN.com

BMW gettin' serious and tests their cars on public roads

Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Carlos Ghosn outlines launch timetable for autonomous drive technologies | Blog of RENAULT NISSAN Alliance

“By the end of 2016, Nissan will make available the next two technologies under its Autonomous Drive strategy,” said Ghosn. “We are bringing to market a traffic-jam pilot, a technology enabling cars to drive autonomously – and safely – on congested highways. In the same time-frame, we will make fully-automated parking systems available across a wide range of vehicles.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive