Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 02:43 PM

695 posts, read 715,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you really drive that way, we've REALLY found the problem, and it's neither driver's ed nor other drivers! You clearly have illusions of being a race car driver, not realizing that the majority of them drive very conservatively on roadways that they share with the general public - much like a black belt doesn't pick fights because they are aware of the consequences of their actions to others and the responsibility that that entails. You clearly don't and it's all about you. That's not a suitable attitude for the public roadways whether or not you have yet gotten a ticket or had (or caused without being involved in - that happens a lot with this kind of driving) an accident.
Yes I really do drive that way and have since 1978. I've had no chargeable accidents even though I also drive professionally for a living. I also find it sad that our emergency vehicles can't exceed the speed limits more on the freeways. The cops sure do. I've been cruising along at close to 80 MPH in a 65 Zone when a cop has passed me by at what seems to be well over 90+ MPH. I can't understand why our other emergency vehicles can't do that?

I don't consider myself a "race car driver" even though I always buy vehicles with V8 engines, sport suspensions, and put police rated or low profile "Z-rated" tires on them. I also drive my 1-ton quad-cab long box 4x4 the same way and I have to say it handles the sharp curves as well as my car does. This ability comes in handy as I am also a Storm Chaser, and I have no problems flirting with 120+ MPH to escape a tornado bearing down on me.

The reason I drive this way is not to go fast, but because I'm always on a time limit and I procrastinate to the very last minute. I've got everything worked out to a "T". Even back when I was in High School, I lived two miles from the school and classes started at 8:20 am. I had my alarm clock set for 8:00 am and I always made it into the class room at the very second the bell was ringing.

To accomplish this I would spring out of bed, skip breakfast, throw on my clothes, race down to my car, drive 50 MPH through the city streets, whip into the parking lot and run full bore through the school hallways into class. These days I can't figure out where all that energy came from.

My goal is not driving fast, but rather spending the least amount of time possible in getting to my destination. There was a time when I was younger when I considered getting my pilot's license so I could fly everywhere instead, but gave it up as I felt flying was too dangerous. I might crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,842 times
^Haha this guy has been trolling so hard

Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
^Haha this guy has been trolling so hard
do you think its a guy trool? Seems like a chick to me.. a young one...

Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM

695 posts, read 715,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
do you think its a guy trool? Seems like a chick to me.. a young one...
There is some truth to your statement. I can't believe how fast and aggressive young girls drive these days. When I'm speeding down the left lane of the freeway and someone comes riding up my rear bumper, it's usually a young college aged girl.

If fact, the last time I was in a Road Rage situation it was with a young college aged girl who wanted to fist fight me! My how times have changed......

Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,658 times
When on a four-lane highway (two in each direction) I stay right except to pass. When on a six-lane highway I am usually going the speed limit or a little more and am in the center lane. Slow traffic, traffic getting off or on is to my right. Fast traffic is to my left. As far as what lane one is in when no one is around, who cares. I stay right generally when no one is around just so I don't have to move right when someone comes up quick behind me. By the way. NCN you North Carolina drivers are no "gems" by any stretch of the imagination. I lived down in your glorious state for seven years and driving on the interstates was NOT a pleasure. And NO, it wasn't all "Yankee" drivers. I could go on but I don't want to hijack this thread to a "what's wrong with rebel drivers" thread.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When there are many lanes on the road it just sounds stupid for everybody to be in the right lane unless they are passing. Spreading the cars out a bit is better safety. I wish Yankees would keep their stupid driving rules up North. Everybody just needs to look out for others and be courteous on the road. A little patience and tolerance goes a long way too.

What are you talking about? There are only some states "up North" that use the left lane for passing only. Stay in your redneck state. We don't need you Southerners to come North.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:34 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Wow, I'm definitely against slow left lane drivers but wow that's not cool. Following way too close, then using the lights just to force the guy over but not actually doing anything about it. If that's from a state with a weak left lane law, at least pull the dude over and tell him why you are doing it (impeding traffic or whatever). Kind of a Dbag move all around.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM

414 posts, read 931,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Wow, I'm definitely against slow left lane drivers but wow that's not cool. Following way too close, then using the lights just to force the guy over but not actually doing anything about it. If that's from a state with a weak left lane law, at least pull the dude over and tell him why you are doing it (impeding traffic or whatever). Kind of a Dbag move all around.

I DO agree with you that people who purposely drive slow in the left lane are a PITA and need to get a clue. I find that many times it's older folks or extremely timid drivers (of any age).

It's common knowledge that the right lane is for slower traffic.

I can't completely fault the cop as the left lane IS for passing and people driving below the speed limit in this lane are obstructing traffic flow.

Just from viewing the video, I'm thinking that the cop probably doesn't want to give a ticket for driving too slow or hanging out in the left lane too long. Rather he just wants to "prod" the car along like cattle to get him to pick up his speed and change lanes. IMO, he's just doing his job and really could have ticketed that slow moving Honda Civic if he wanted to. I don't I've ever seen a cop hand out a ticket to anybody for this though.

Weird though...because many drivers of late model Civics in my area think they're Speed Racer and drive like lunatics.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
I DO agree with you that people who purposely drive slow in the left lane are a PITA and need to get a clue. I find that many times it's older folks or extremely timid drivers (of any age).

It's common knowledge that the right lane is for slower traffic.

I can't completely fault the cop as the left lane IS for passing and people driving below the speed limit in this lane are obstructing traffic flow.

Just from viewing the video, I'm thinking that the cop probably doesn't want to give a ticket for driving too slow or hanging out in the left lane too long. Rather he just wants to "prod" the car along like cattle to get him to pick up his speed and change lanes. IMO, he's just doing his job and really could have ticketed that slow moving Honda Civic if he wanted to. I don't I've ever seen a cop hand out a ticket to anybody for this though.

Weird though...because many drivers of late model Civics in my area think they're Speed Racer and drive like lunatics.
The problem is if the person was just oblivious, they will just wonder why. If they were doing it on purpose they won't care. If he's (or she) willing to risk an accident following that close for that long, then putting the lights on which are bound to have effects on the cars behind him, also possibly causing an accident, then step up and follow through.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Exactly how can I be "blocking others" while cruising in the left lane if I'm traveling 10-15 MPH ABOVE the posted speed limit? It is impossible to set my Cruise Control at 75 MPH in a 60 MPH speed limit zone and cruise in the right lane or middle lanes. Only the left lane offers this opportunity most of the time.

You're talking to a guy who passes up ambulances and firetrucks with their lights and sirens going on the freeway, drives through the wake of snow plows during snow storms, and doesn't slow down for curves, no matter how sharp, anywhere on the freeway system. I've mastered all the curves without slowing down while holding my lane.

People don't usually like riding with me though, something about being tossed around against the door, etc.
How exactly am I supposed to know what you do before you post it? However, you can be blocking others who want to pass you faster than you are going. I disagree that it is impossible to set your cruise in the right lane. I do it often. You just have to pass other people sometimes, and then get back over.

I'm not sure what your second paragraph is supposed top prove, but if all that makes you feel good, have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive