Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,236,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I know they prefer SUVs due to ride height and what not, but why are wagons considered ugly? Wagons offer the utility of an SUV, and trades off ride height for mpg.

There are an above average number of Dodge Magnums in my city, including the one my neighbors have, and I consider that the best looking car Dodge has besides the Challenger.
I don't think they are. I think they are neat.

Funny back in the 1980s and back they apparently didn't think they were ugly, because station wagons were huge sellers in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:07 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,236,460 times
Here are some great ones that are currently for sale on ebay/craigslist...

1973 Mercury Colony Park -

1970 Chrysler Town & Country -

and I sort of like my 1972 Chevy (Caprice) Kingswood Estate -

Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
TS-The first of 3 you posted brings back good memories of visiting my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins. She had that same model in all blue, in early 70's, classic.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
I love old wagons, and if they're Willys they're even better.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:00 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
The majority of station wagons were nothing more than a modified sedan. They suffered from noise and instability that caused fishtailing. Today's wagons, even though based upon a sedan, have a suspension and body designed to be a wagon. They are much better built, handling, and fuel efficient than wagons of old.

I wonder if the preferance towards SUV over wagons is related to the height the driver sits at? To sit higher in a vehicle is like a feeling of power and safety. If drivers of big rigs, trucks, and SUVs rode at the same height as the average family sedan you can bet there would e a reduction in tailgating and aggressive driving.

I like the looks of the Saab, Volvo, Mazda, Audi, and other German wagons. Am old enough to remember when just about every automaker had a wagon version of every car they made. Maybe the buying public just got burnt out on wagons and switched to SUVs and crossovers.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:18 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
I owned a Dodge Magnum R/T AWD for 3 years and 70K miles. I personally never utlized the back and when I did, I didn't like hearing things rattle around. For example, I carry my golf clubs in my car during season. It gets annoying hearing your clubs rattle around. I now have a sedan and like how everything is his hidden and silent in the trunk. I'll never own a wagon again.

The Magnum was the best looking wagon in a long time.l

Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 AM

1,245 posts, read 924,089 times
Someone tried to sell me one of those early 1980s model station wagons once for 500 dollars, those things are a god awful eyesore. You couldn't pay me to take one.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
but why are wagons considered ugly? Wagons offer the utility of an SUV, and trades off ride height for mpg.
THIS American loves the station wagon! The small ones, though, not the gigantic ones. I have a 2004 Mitsu Lancer Sportback. They didn't sell many of them, and I know Mitsus catch a lot of flak on this forum, but it's been a great car for me. I take good care of it, keep up with all the maintenance and do all repairs ASAP, and it's still doing great with 155K miles on the engine. Has 160 HP, which isn't bad for when I need to accelerate in a hurry or am visiting my parents up in the mountains, and it gets about 25 mpg city and 32 mpg hwy.

When I was buying this car, I also test-drove the Mitsu Outlander -- which had a more wagon-ish body style back then than the current version -- but I picked the Sportback wagon because it handled more like a small car, which I like. (My car before this one was a Mazda Miata; before that, a Mitsubishi Eclipse.) It's fairly long, all things considered, but narrow. Also, the driver's seat can be height-adjusted, so I don't feel like I'm riding down in the road.

I have serious new-car-lust for the new Volvo V60 wagon, but my car has been paid for for 6 years, is still running great, and I still like it, so I'm not ready to trade up. For certain, though, the next car I purchase -- whenever that will be -- will ALSO be a wagon.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:23 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
I loved the late 60s very early 70s Vistacruiser. Massive, good riding, felt like you were driving a fortress and you could drive one without feeling emasculated like in today's mini-vans. Nothing says domesticated husband like a Honda mini-van in the driveway. These land cruisers are what you expect to see the Brady Bunch in.

If they still made them like that, I bet they would still sell.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:49 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
Lots of people might like this; the new Mercedes E63 AMG 4matic wagon.
2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon First Test - Motor Trend

FTA:Just how fast is Benz’s Superwagon? It tops out at a claimed 186 mph. That’s fast enough to Vmax alongside a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S. To rocket from 0 to 60 mph, the E63 needs just 3.4 seconds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive