Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 06:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,392,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
I dont care what b.s. Chrysler pulled with thier mexican built hatchback to circumvent the EPA/CAFE averages, it is not a truck. Show me how to stand up a fullsize basketball hoop/ pole assembly in the "bed" of that "truck".

Its a hatch or a wagon.
To argue the PT Cruiser was not a truck because its bed is not open-air would be to argue the Ford Excursion, a 24' high cube van rented from U-Haul, and a Freightliner semi tractor are not trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,401 times
Quote:
To be honest, crossovers are becoming more and more wagon-like and less and less SUV-like with each generation.
Yes, that's right. But I think using that name 'station wagon" is out. It's considered old-fashioned and out dated.

Also as for why they went out of fashion. I don't think car company tried too very hard to KEEP station wagon's alive.
Decades ago SUV's and minivans were new, hip, intriguing -- and NOT your father's people hauler.
Care companies pushed them and not satation wagons -- they didn't continue to position the wagon AND the SUVs and minivans.

They could have positioned the wagon for those who don't want to climb up into their car or who wanted to drive a car that's like a CAR and NOT a truck. But they didn't . They had the hot new SUV's and minivans selling, so they let the station wagon go.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 PM

14 posts, read 21,223 times
Ah station wagons. They are one of my favorite vehicles. My favorite is the Chevy Nomad, but thats a dream car. Realistically, I like the Dodge Magnum with AWD and the other SW I like but my family doesn't is the Buick Roadmaster, a couch on wheels. Other wagons that I love is the 1965 Pontiac Catalina. My aunt had one and I loved it for it's size and the rear facing seats. Another oldie is the Buick Electra 225 Wagon, another humongous vehicle. Volvo had the ultra quick V70 R with over 300 HP and Mercedes had the classic E320 AWD and BMW had the 530 wagon. Like other people said the Subaru Legacy is a nice wagon. We had one with over 200,000 miles, drove nice until a relative totaled it, something his is good at doing.

Last edited by thepi249; 03-31-2014 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 PM

Chevy Nomad a dream car

Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
To argue the PT Cruiser was not a truck because its bed is not open-air would be to argue the Ford Excursion, a 24' high cube van rented from U-Haul, and a Freightliner semi tractor are not trucks.
Good luck finding anyone else smarter than a rock agreeing with you.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 AM

A photo of the 1965 Catalina that I loved.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,938 times
You answered your own question. Ride height. IMO anything that long that isn't a limo needs to be off the ground.

It looks better as an SUV. Wagons look silly so low to the ground.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:11 PM

414 posts, read 931,646 times
Why do Americans consider station wagons ugly?

As a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's, ALL my Dad bought were station wagons. When I was just a wee lad, we had an green Rambler station wagon, then had blue, red and silver Ford LTD station wagons (thankfully, none had the faux wood paneling on the side).

For my driving test, I passed on the 1st attempt with Mom's silver LTD wagon. When my POS Pontiac Fiero broke down, I had to drive that same large, sloppy riding, pitifully maneuvering car with very numb steering to work (Yes, I was glad to have the car to get there and not rent a car, etc).

They were ALL extremely dull and boring and was like being in a gigantor sofa on 4 wheels. This is what foreigners have accused Americans for liking anyway..so to that end, our family fit the stereotype..ugh!

Station wagons were and are great in terms of utility, but the SUV came along and saved my generation and those that follow from having to suffer any longer! Praise God!

Here's what my Mom's looked like...driving a tugboat would have been easier!!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
We have one of these:

One of these:

And one of these:

Old 04-26-2014, 07:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
IMO; basically they loss in favor of mini vans; plain and simple. I guess some would say a mini van is a truck; but not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive