Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
What were those? Anyone know? Why were there two in that picture?
They're mock-ups (or photoshops) of the Wagon Queen Family Truckster from the movie Vacation -- the point of which was to take a poke at station wagons and particularly at a man reduced to buying/driving one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
I like wagons so much that I made sure to buy one the only time I bought new.

Wagons were the real work horses of the 60's and 70's

Go to the lumber yard and load em up with 4x8 sheet goods and later take the little league team for ice cream.

They drove well and were reliable... as kids we loved them for travel.

My favorites were always the Vista Cruisers with the second set of sunvisors for the back seat.

Even my 325iT earns it's keep... in a pinch I've picked up a 40 gallon water heater, 9' artificial Christmas Tree and several square of shingles.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:25 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
I love wagons. The 71-3 Vista Cruiser is the one I want the most. Magnum srt8 with challenger srt8 or 10 drivetrain. I hate all these stupid crossovers, and "suvs," I mean the Surburban has finally lived up to its name with rear or all wheel drive, a taller lower sitting body and fully independant suspension.

I'm sorry but trucks and suvs are not meant to ride smooth or have exquissed street manners, that's what station wagons and minivans are for. The general consumer is an idiot and doesn't remember the point of what a vehicle is for, via its type. If I wanted a Taurus wagon, I'd get a taurus wagon- not an Escape. The only respectable crossover are the Coupe Utilitie Vehicles, your Brat, El Camino, Baja, Caddy, Rampage, Durango, Ranchero, Sprint.

An suv or truck should in 4wd have a SET of solid axles and not float like a caddilac. Niether should be offered in fwd or share platform with a car. But as I talk until I'm blue in the face, I guess this 25 year old- 26 tomorrow is just an old school gear head, nostalgic for times he had been born just in time to remember.

At least there is still the Ram and Wrangler. The Nitro is the only other suv that comes to mind, that actually had a sfa in 4wd built recently. There hasnt been another since the ZJ Cherokee.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:49 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post

I'm sorry but trucks and suvs are not meant to ride smooth or have exquissed street manners, that's what station wagons and minivans are for. The general consumer is an idiot and doesn't remember the point of what a vehicle is for, via its type.
So you're gonna set us straight, eh?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,794,184 times
Volvo xc70. Bite your tongue.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I love wagons. This was my '04 Mazda6. Rare 5 speed manual with V-6. Great handling car once I installed adjustable Koni's. I sold it a couple of years ago because I needed AWD. Wished I would've kept it Too bad Mazda does not import the new 6 wagon, although I don't think it looks nearly as good looking as mine was.
I had the same thing but '05 in blue. My car was a 5-spd too and the only option was the sport grill (body color like yours). I really liked it but it was bare bones and I wanted something a little more luxurious so I traded it after 2 years for a Volvo XC90 Sport (after driving the XC70, of course)

My wife took the Volvo over when our kids were born but the wagon that I currently dream about is the Volvo V60 Polestar edition coming out this summer. I am seriously considering contacting my dealer to see if they can get me on the list but I don't think the timing is right just now.

Wagons unite!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Of all the vehicles I have ever owned my '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagon was the best all around car. It would go anywhere from Interstates to Canadian Forest gravel Roads smoothly and quickly. It would haul five friends when we wanted to and be very comfortable doing it. I could consistently win stoplight drags against Rice Rocket and all manner of "fast" cars. I joke that we bought a pair of excellent leather covered retractable chairs for $2,500. They came wrapped in a Buick Wagon.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Turning into a "Respect the Wagon" thread..........Honda anyone.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Volvo xc70. Bite your tongue.
So yeah, like I said.... Americans won't buy wagons unless they're dolled up to look like SUVs. Exhibit A...

Old 03-20-2014, 02:03 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Whenever I think of station wagons, I think of the Family Truckster from the first Vacation movie.

The only station wagon type vehicle I would buy would be a Subaru Outback. Small enough to drive around town, but the space and capability to get out and go camping.
That's why I bought mine. Plus, it just looks good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive