Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:15 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
I'm not sure Americans consider them ugly.
Maybe some do, but a lot don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571;
I have a wagon myself - a 2001 BMW 5 series. We chose it because it was super practical without sacrificing handling, driving experience, or gas mileage. We didn't even have any kids at the time. It's been great and I don't feel any less a man for driving it. But now that we have a kid I can admit that many of the new CUVs would work better for hauling him and all of his stuff around. The seating configuration and height work well with car seats and cargo. I'd personally love to get another wagon - like a 2010 535xi, but I'm sure we'll be going the CUV route next time.
How does 1 kid require more space than a wagon provides? I don't get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:12 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Americans are idiots.

People in my town love the old Toyota "All-Track" Tercel wagons. I know a mechanic who collects them. They're really good in snowy conditions, hence their cult following. People buy old ones with burnt-out engines for $500 and rebuild them. Others like those Toyota Camry wagons. Subaru wagons are popular, too. I didn't know the Ford Taurus had been discontinued. They're everywhere, in my town. Volvo wagons are popular, too, with the higher-end crowd. There are SUV's around, too, but public tastes vary quite widely.
Just out of curiosity, what town do you live in that's such a Mecca for wagons?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe some do, but a lot don't.
How does 1 kid require more space than a wagon provides? I don't get that.
Marketing. One kid requires NO change in car. Heck, I would bring a kid up with a Porsche 911 with that tiny seat in the back. I don't think a kid would mind one bit. I know if I was a little kid, I would rather have the Porsche around than some big clunky SUV for fat people.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Marketing. One kid requires NO change in car. Heck, I would bring a kid up with a Porsche 911 with that tiny seat in the back.
Not likely. Try fitting that mandatory rear-facing car seat in the back of your 911. It won't work, unless either you or your front passenger is under 5' tall.

Car seat laws nowadays require the seats to take up a HUGE amount of space. Combine that with the room a stroller takes up (even a basic one, not to mention a jogger or something meant to hold more than one kid), and it's no shocker that families run to the bigger vehicles (minivans, SUVs, etc).

We bought a Ford Flex because of this. Granted, I'm a bit outside the bell curve at 6'7", but this was the only non-fullsize SUV vehicle we could find where the rear-facing seat would go behind me. We were also fans of its 'non-SUV' appearance. IMHO, it's about as close as you get looks-wise to the beastly giant wagons of old in a modern vehicle, and I liked that. It also sits at basically the same height as the Taurus sedan it's based on, which means it's more practical and better-handling than a 'true' SUV.

The wife REALLY wanted a wagon (so chalk us up as two more Americans who LIKE wagons), but we couldn't find anything that fit the bill. European premium-brand wagons (our favorite) are too expensive, the Jetta and the TSX wagons both had no rear legroom by the time I got the seat adjusted for me, and neither of us were digging the looks of the bigger Subarus or that God-awful monstrosity Honda Crosstour (which I GUESS would qualify as a wagon).

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 03-21-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

We bought a Ford Flex because of this.
Nice wagon and a very cool car in a "I don't give a damn what the chattering class thinks" kind of way. You get the twin turbo motor?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Nice wagon and a very cool car in a "I don't give a damn what the chattering class thinks" kind of way. You get the twin turbo motor?

Pfft. Naturally. Daddy needs some fun, too, you know.

Mike

Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM

190 posts, read 192,744 times
I bought a Scion Xb to fit some of the station wagon void. Obviously, I'm not a slave to fashion.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans0 View Post
I bought a Scion Xb to fit some of the station wagon void. Obviously, I'm not a slave to fashion.
I had a 2009 for a few years. Greatest appliance I ever owned, and I mean that in every sense of the word. OK power, lots of room (both for passengers and cargo), easy to drive, easy to park, easy to work on, etc. I found Toyota's TC a little too invasive (and annoyingly very difficult to override) and the interior never let you forget what you paid for the car, but it served its purpose well and went for 100K uneventful miles.

Mike

Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times

Real station wagons are beautiful.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Some of them kind of are ugly. They're good cars though; my grandmother drove hers for years. I would've taken it when she passed away, if I hadn't already had a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive