Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times

Advertisements

Be sure to inform someone of the route that you plan to take, and if you deviate from it, a quick call or text from a rest stop to let them know is a good idea. When you stop for the night/nap at a hotel, be sure to text said person with the name of the hotel and the number of the front desk as well. On your route, it's not as big of an issue, but on some routes, you could have a mechanical issue with the vehicle and be stranded with little to no cell coverage, but if you were overdue, your contact can call the hotel and ascertain when you left, and since they have your route, can then call for assistance in locating you on the route.

Do you have emergency flares in the vehicle? A reflective triangle? If not, you may want to pack those, along with a flashlight. If you do break down in a travel lane, set out the flares, and then stand away from the vehicle on the grass next to the shoulder, preferably behind a guardrail.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
Be sure to inform someone of the route that you plan to take, and if you deviate from it, a quick call or text from a rest stop to let them know is a good idea. When you stop for the night/nap at a hotel, be sure to text said person with the name of the hotel and the number of the front desk as well. On your route, it's not as big of an issue, but on some routes, you could have a mechanical issue with the vehicle and be stranded with little to no cell coverage, but if you were overdue, your contact can call the hotel and ascertain when you left, and since they have your route, can then call for assistance in locating you on the route.

Do you have emergency flares in the vehicle? A reflective triangle? If not, you may want to pack those, along with a flashlight. If you do break down in a travel lane, set out the flares, and then stand away from the vehicle on the grass next to the shoulder, preferably behind a guardrail.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
It's only useless when you don't need it, and life saving when you actually do, sort of like a parachute on a crashing plane.
Why they don't pass out parachutes at the boarding gate on Northwest?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM

864 posts, read 800,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why they don't pass out parachutes at the boarding gate on Northwest?
#1, it's too expensive for airlines (your lives aren't worth it to them) and would require a complete rethink of how commercial planes and their exits are designed.

#2, because we cater to the lowest common denominator unfortunately. I'd estimate that for every public flight, about 1/3 of the people are completely unfit to survive a parachute drop. Even with the correct breathing equipment, a high grade parachute, and some training, a bunch of people would simply die in the first few seconds from shock. Even if 2/3 of the flight did survive the extreme speeds and temps, the families of the 1/3 who did die would sue the crap out of the Airline, pretty much into oblivion.

Doesn't stop me from carrying one when I'm on a flight on my father's Cessna from SF to our family ranch in San Diego. I always have that piece of mind when I have it with me.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM

70 posts, read 96,306 times
Wait you are moving from Chicago to New Jersey. I'm sorry this hilarious! As many firearms as it hold.
#I'mDone lol

Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
I always have that piece of mind when I have it with me.
Who has the other pieces?

Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM

864 posts, read 800,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Who has the other pieces?
Only you!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...9839c0!6m1!1e1
here is the place

Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
ok, she is shiatcago and going to naw jesery, 2 places that are very anti-gun, good way to get her into trouble if she is found with one.
I do agree however, on the road, a weapon, a charged cell phone and a AAA card are good things to have. If you don't know how to change a tire, learn how to, also use your cars tire tools to make sure you can get the lugnuts loose. I have seen too many that I have had to almost stand on the wrench to break them free, I am 225lbs and there is no way a 100 something lb woman would ever get them free.
If you have the AAA membership they''ll come and fix your car or tow it,change a flat or give you some gas if you need it.
Rather a shame that in todays America so many seem to feel the need to recommend the need to carry weapons,perhaps if the journey is fraught with that much potential for armed conflict taking a plane might be preferable.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I heartily agree that the mileage from Chicagoland to Jersey is way too much for a single stretch; Chicago-Toledo is about 235 miles. Add another 160 to the Pennsylvania border and 325 a to cross the Keystone State, plus whatever remains in New Jersey -- that's a minimum of at least 750. Once you pass Youngstown, OH, there are a number of clean, often college-centered communities well-suited for a stopover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I've driven to Chicago and back to NYC and DC many times, but if you are not familiar with long-distance driving, I would suggest leaving the night before, and stopping at about 11-11:30PM. Long stretches of highway, especially at night, can have a hypnotic effect, that can creep up on anyone. Twelve hours of driving time is easily fourteen to sixteen hours, depending upon how long you stop for lunch, stops for fuel, stops for the ladies' room, etc., and factoring traffic. That would be a two-day drive for many people, so if not exactly familiar with the route, prudence would suggest taking extra time to make the drive for the sake of your safety and sanity.

Listen to these guys, they know, specially if you're not familiar with the route, specially once you get in the NJ area. I've done this trip several times and it somehow turns out into a 16 hour trip with traffic, bathroom breaks, lunch break, gas station stops, and just to stretch out.
Not sure where in Chicagoland you are and where in NJ you are going but my trip was a little over 900 miles.
A few times, I did it with an overnight stop pass the Ohio/Pennsylvania border and it was a much better trip.

Back on topic, I'd say a AAA membership/or some type with towing coverage and cell phone with car charger. Cooler with drinking water. Not sure if you have runflats but if you don't, a spare tire/donut and jack. It looks like it maybe hot during your trip, to make your trip more comfortable, check your AC if it's running well with no leaks. Also, check your thermostat if running well. One time we did this trip, our thermostat was apparently on its way out and gave out during the trip and car overheated in the middle of nowhere in the Pennsylavania mountains.
Have a safe trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive