Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 04:09 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here are the one-percenters. These are the things that have a one-percent chance of happening., or less, or much less. You don't need to concern yourself with any of these:

Rain iwill fall when you have to get out of your car and walk through it.
Your cell phone will be in a dead zone.
You will spill anythng messy in your car.
You will be bitten or stung by a snake, bee, etc.
Your tire will lose air pressure.
Your oil will go below the add mark.
You will need to get out your own tow rope or charger cables.
Your car will overheat.
You will need a blanket.
There will be no toilet paper in the bathroom.
You will cut yourself and need a bandaid.
You will be able to intuitively figure out how to work the self-service pump.
Rush Limbaugh will not be on the radio.
You'll need a flashlight to find something rolls under a seat that you can't feel around for.
Any food will go bad without refrigeration.
You will enjoy eating a snack food that somebody else recommends.
You'll be in a place where a GPS is needed to find a gas station, restaurant or motel.
A customer at a place you stop at an exit will ever return as a repeat customer. So guess how hard they will try to please you.
A countergirl, whose mother is younger than you are (say, 35), will balk at your request for a senior discount.
You will need to shoot somebody.

What about carrying a gas can in case you run out of gas during some five mile stretch without a gas station?

I do carry a handful of tissues in my purse. Nearly every trip I've ever been on involved at least one gas station bathroom sans toilet paper. It may only be 1% chance but I seem to hit that jackpot oftener than I ever thought possible.

I've never had to use a tow rope, but I have used charger cables twice. But it was to help jump someone else's vehicle.

I usually freeze several water bottles for my cooler. I use one of those collapsible coolers from Trader Joes meant to carry home frozen groceries. Works perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 AM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,172 times
The main things to fail on a road trip like you're planning are belts and hoses. The rubber in these items can get old and crack causing failure.

It'd be good to go one step further and check the water pump. That can be done by loosening the pulley and turning the pump by hand to make sure it turns freely - these pumps have bearings inside that often fail and because it's a PITA to check it regularly with maintenence it's often neglected until it fails - usually at the worst possible time.

If the water pump fails, the engine will stop circulating coolant and it will overheat. Not something you want to happen on a road trip.

Of course you should have all fluids topped off - brake fluid, transmission, engine oil, coolant, etc. And make sure the tires are properly inflated and are not excessively worn.

And don't forget to have a fully inflated spare tire AND a working jack and lug wrench on board. This is often overlooked and in the event of a flat tire will be a life saver.

Having these details in order will prevent about 99% of any problems on a road trip.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:19 AM

864 posts, read 800,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Guns have their place, but not in the hands of an inexperienced, unprepared user who would more than likely would either get it taken away from her in a conflict or get arrested for having it in the wrong state. Most people are smart enough to avoid situations requiring a gun. Having said that, both my kids have pepper spray (supplied by Dad) and know how and when to use it. It's effective, and won't land the kids in jail or court.
Being prepared and being paranoid are two different things.
Enjoy your trip!
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

Old 06-27-2014, 07:21 AM

864 posts, read 800,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You will need to shoot somebody.
This is actually less than 1% statistically.

But in the event that you do strike pay dirt, and you don't have a firearm on hand? Well, you'll wish it's the only thing that you did remember to pack.

Plus, if you don't need it, guns don't take up a lot of room. Do people really see a loaded firearm as a hassle?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
This is actually less than 1% statistically.

But in the event that you do strike pay dirt, and you don't have a firearm on hand? Well, you'll wish it's the only thing that you did remember to pack.

Plus, if you don't need it, guns don't take up a lot of room. Do people really see a loaded firearm as a hassle?
Pay dirt?

Are you serious?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Doritos, Coca Cola and a pack of smokes

Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Tattoo on a felon was "13 1/2"..............12 jurors, one judge and half a chance!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,101,735 times
Pack a map. You can use it to avoid ending up in NJ.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:11 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,387 times
This started out fun and interesting knowing what people might bring on there road trip.

But now on the 9th page of worthless advise. After reading all this. A person would be afraid to get on the road.

Op, disregard all these non sense.

Load up your car and fill your tank the night before. Get up and head out at 5 am. By noon stop somewhere for lunch, fill up and go. You won't have any problems.

I can message you my number. If you get lost, run into car trouble or jus bored, you can call me.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
I agree that this has become nonsense. A gun? Seriously, she lives in Chicago and either has a gun there or doesn't, but taking it on the road is ridiculous.

I'm more concerned with her statement about "seldom driving". She's not someone who likes to drive, but drives out of necessity. I have friends like this: when we go somewhere together, we either take my car or they hand me the keys to theirs. I drive. It's what I do.

For those of you suggesting she get audio books, I totally disagree. This is not someone comfortable behind the wheel or who will be able to drive for 10-12 hours as I still do at age 65. Those people who avoid driving, as the OP, find it exceptionally exhausting to drive for 2-3 hours nevermind a one-shot halfway across the counry.

OP, try to relax. You know how to drive, it's just a matter of doing it. You may find you like it. Keep your focus, have some upbeat music on. Take frequent breaks (every 2-3 hrs). Everytime you stop for gas, grab a snack and take a quick walk around the rest area. Close your eyes for a few minutes and do some relaxing breathing. Don't overstay your break and or it will make it harder to get back in and make progress. If there's an accident ahead and you find you're in stop and go traffic, get off the highway and take your break then. Patience.

Let us all know how your trip goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive