Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Basically if your car has been well maintained tire pressure is correct phone charged just get in the car and drive to your destination, almost every exit has anything you might need, if you get tired take a nap.
Agree with this. I won't dare drive long distance if my car is a beat up. That's essentially what I do EVERYTIME I do road trips. Although I can say have a jumpstarter cable handy. That way, all you need to do is find someone willing to jumpstart your car.

I don't have jumpstarter cable, so if I found someone willing to jumpstart me, the next prob is they don't have jumpstarter cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
But in a scenario where her car breaks down on the side of the road ( during the day), you have to wait for AAA to get to you. During that time you're a sitting duck. If anyone comes up to you pretending to help, wouldn't you feel more secure if you had a firearm with you.
Umm ... no.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,975 times
Quote:

But in a scenario where her car breaks down on the side of the road ( during the day), you have to wait for AAA to get to you. During that time you're a sitting duck. If anyone comes up to you pretending to help, wouldn't you feel more secure if you had a firearm with you. Sure, most people are good, but by chance if a bad guy approaches you ( especially in a place you are not familiar with), what are you doing to do? Roll up the windows and lock the door? Easy enough to break the car windows with a rock.
It will never occur to me that someone will just 'pretend' to help when they saw me at the side of the road. Like what I said earlier. I honestly didn't know what to do when it happened to me. I actually didn't even notice/hear their car approach because I was busy worrying how the f can I get out of there and was busy looking at the state of my tire in the sands until they spoke to me.

They literally look like angels with wings and I welcome them with open arms helping me out. Being in that scenario/situation is not a good time to be paranoid of people and their intentions.

And these 2 group of people who helped were just there to GENUINELY help me out it is such a good feeling. After they helped they both went on their ways.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
7. audiobook - an interesting story makes the time pass more smoothly
No. Do nothing that will distract you from being an attentive driver. Pay attention to the road, the other cars, the road signage, your car's instruments, the sound of your car on the road, the police, your speed, your lane usage, etcetcetc

Quote:
See, for a lone woman, a firearm is almost a necessity driving that long of a distance. .
Even if she has never held a gun in her hand in her life, she should quick go out and buy one and load it and put it in the glove compartment for this trip. and wave it around if she gets nervous? She's been fine all her life living in Chicago, but out here in the wilds of rural Ohio, you never know.

With advice like yours, please back away slowly.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-26-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Maybe pickup a Kevlar vest for pumping gas , seriously have your battery checked, hot weather will zap a battery,

Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
I've driven all over the country and never once had need of a gun.

Before taking off on a trip, I usually take our car to our mechanic shop and have them check the hoses, belts, brakes, etc. I would definitely get a spare tire and jack to throw in the trunk before you go.

Cooler with water bottles and assorted small protein type snacks. I stay away from crackers and other wheat type snacks as I get sleepy after eating them. Little packets of handi-wipes are useful. Especially after eating apples and so forth.

Map as well as GPS. I usually Google map the route ahead of time and print it up. That way I have a general idea, know the exits and so forth in case the GPS goes sideways on me.

Check out books on CDs from the library for the long stretches of freeway.

Car charger and cell phone.

Credit card with plenty of room to charge things on. Call company first and tell them you are going on trip. Otherwise, computer may decide that charging gas in unfamiliar town is evidence of fraud and lock your card so you can't use it.

Start early, like 5 am or so to allow for traffic delays. I would rather drive 12 - 14 hours in a day than spend the night at an unfamiliar hotel.

Be sure to pack your sense of adventure.

Bon Voyage.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
, seriously have your battery checked, hot weather will zap a battery,
Which she wouldn't have to worry about if she stayed in Chicago.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Here are the one-percenters. These are the things that have a one-percent chance of happening., or less, or much less. You don't need to concern yourself with any of these:

Rain iwill fall when you have to get out of your car and walk through it.
Your cell phone will be in a dead zone.
You will spill anythng messy in your car.
You will be bitten or stung by a snake, bee, etc.
Your tire will lose air pressure.
Your oil will go below the add mark.
You will need to get out your own tow rope or charger cables.
Your car will overheat.
You will need a blanket.
There will be no toilet paper in the bathroom.
You will cut yourself and need a bandaid.
You will be able to intuitively figure out how to work the self-service pump.
Rush Limbaugh will not be on the radio.
You'll need a flashlight to find something rolls under a seat that you can't feel around for.
Any food will go bad without refrigeration.
You will enjoy eating a snack food that somebody else recommends.
You'll be in a place where a GPS is needed to find a gas station, restaurant or motel.
A customer at a place you stop at an exit will ever return as a repeat customer. So guess how hard they will try to please you.
A countergirl, whose mother is younger than you are (say, 35), will balk at your request for a senior discount.
You will need to shoot somebody.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,618,169 times
Wow. I'm surprised so few people have suggested audio books. I have two different 7-8 hr drives I make regularly and the audio books are a lifesaver. The better the book the shorter the trip seems.

I usually pick one up at the Cracker Barrel by my house. When I'm done, I stop at any Cracker Barrel on my route and trade it in for a new one. Gives me a chance to get out, use the restroom, and walk around too. If you've never rented from Cracker Barrel, they charge full price for the book then refund all but $3 or so for the 'rental' when you return the book. It's $3+ for a week. Great way to stay alert while driving long distances by yourself.

For a 12+ hour drives, I've often left early and stopped at about the 10 hour mark, stayed overnight, then get up really early and arrive at my destination at a reasonable time in the morning and I'm not dead tired.

Drive safe and have fun, whatever you do!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:56 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,028 times
Guns have their place, but not in the hands of an inexperienced, unprepared user who would more than likely would either get it taken away from her in a conflict or get arrested for having it in the wrong state. Most people are smart enough to avoid situations requiring a gun. Having said that, both my kids have pepper spray (supplied by Dad) and know how and when to use it. It's effective, and won't land the kids in jail or court.
Being prepared and being paranoid are two different things.
Enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive