Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:59 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times

Advertisements

Highway driving means roll racing.

If you're in the city, you race from a dig.

If you're out in the country you can hit those turns hard.

There's fun to be had on just about every road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:31 AM

198 posts, read 184,575 times
If two driverless cars get into an accident, who would be at fault? Would the human owners be liable for the failure of the computer systems in the vehicles or the manufacturer of the autos,or the computer makers? Who would be liable for injuries to the occupants?
Driving is fun, and a skill that needs to be learned. I feel more safe being in control of the heavy machinery going 65 or 70 on the interstate than leaving it to a programmer somewhere to take into account all the variables one encounters when behind the wheel. Did anyone mention computer viruses or malware that could hijack a vehicles system?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Car makers are ******** themselves over what to do about the fact that many, many millenials share the o.p.'s distrust of their own abilities behnd the wheel. I don't drive much anymore due to the economics. I rented a nearly new Volkswagen Jetta last weekend for a trip to the Oregon Coast from Downtown Portland. What fun! Those coast roads would give the o.p. a heart attack. It gives me pause as well since I don't do it enough anymore to be jaded about the sheer magnitude of the task. I mean... I must have passed thousands of cars going the other way on twisty two lanes with closing speeds of up to 110 mph!!! Several thousand opportunities to die... ... the real amazement is that it doesn't happen more!

But as noted, I just don't see driverless cars in the lifetime of even a millenial. Just too many variables. It isn't the programmers I am worried about. They'll do their jobs. Its the rotting American infrastructure. All of the science fiction automated driving scenarios are based on guideways or some kind of buried signal wire that the mobile module (car) can track. I just don't see getting it done without that. NYC alone has over 6,000 miles of surface streets. No one is going to tear them all up to bury guide wires in them! Ain't gonna happen. Nyet! Nein! Negatory good buddy.

So.... o.p. HTFU. Or take the bus. Them's your choices. The driverless car salvation that you hope for is a pipe dream. Crack pipe dream. If we seem like babies for wanting to stay in control of our cars to the end then to us you seem like a bigger baby for expecting electronics to keep you off riding buses with homeless people on them. The first astronauts were test pilots. They were less than thrilled about the amount of automation in even early spacecraft. Quite a stretch to call a fighter jock with a testosterone level of 1500 a 'baby'. As I understand it, current fighter planes can land on aircraft carriers better than human pilots can and pilots are ordered to keep both hands in view of ATC at all times during takeoff and landing so the Navy can be certain that their million dollar toys are jeopardized by the fumblings of highly trained, highly motivated air warriors.

Hmmm. Maybe the future is closer than I think... ...

H

Old 09-06-2014, 02:41 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,628,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Car makers are ******** themselves over what to do about the fact that many, many millenials share the o.p.'s distrust of their own abilities behnd the wheel. I don't drive much anymore due to the economics. I rented a nearly new Volkswagen Jetta last weekend for a trip to the Oregon Coast from Downtown Portland. What fun! Those coast roads would give the o.p. a heart attack. It gives me pause as well since I don't do it enough anymore to be jaded about the sheer magnitude of the task. I mean... I must have passed thousands of cars going the other way on twisty two lanes with closing speeds of up to 110 mph!!! Several thousand opportunities to die... ... the real amazement is that it doesn't happen more!

But as noted, I just don't see driverless cars in the lifetime of even a millenial. Just too many variables. It isn't the programmers I am worried about. They'll do their jobs. Its the rotting American infrastructure. All of the science fiction automated driving scenarios are based on guideways or some kind of buried signal wire that the mobile module (car) can track. I just don't see getting it done without that. NYC alone has over 6,000 miles of surface streets. No one is going to tear them all up to bury guide wires in them! Ain't gonna happen. Nyet! Nein! Negatory good buddy.

So.... o.p. HTFU. Or take the bus. Them's your choices. The driverless car salvation that you hope for is a pipe dream. Crack pipe dream. If we seem like babies for wanting to stay in control of our cars to the end then to us you seem like a bigger baby for expecting electronics to keep you off riding buses with homeless people on them. The first astronauts were test pilots. They were less than thrilled about the amount of automation in even early spacecraft. Quite a stretch to call a fighter jock with a testosterone level of 1500 a 'baby'. As I understand it, current fighter planes can land on aircraft carriers better than human pilots can and pilots are ordered to keep both hands in view of ATC at all times during takeoff and landing so the Navy can be certain that their million dollar toys are jeopardized by the fumblings of highly trained, highly motivated air warriors.

H
There will not be any "guideways" or "tracks", it will be done through sensors, lasers or radar on the vehicle. There are cars now that can practically drive themselves. I think the technology still has a long way to go and I'll never feel comfortable riding in a driverless car.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
When I drove with my parents a few times it wasn't really fun. It was frustration from not braking fast enough and passing stop signs and worry about cops seeing that. I don't see how driving on the highway could be fun. Me and a friend think it'd be terrifying because you have to drive so fast, if you hit another car you might be more likely to die. And if you don't brake soon enough it might be death, or jail and/or a ticket.
Your issues aren't what most of us experience. Driving isn't something you learn within 5 minutes. It takes a great deal of practice and instruction. Patience helps as well.

Quote:
I heard if you're over a certain age (25?) you don't have to test for a license. That's dangerous.
Here's some advice....don't believe everything you hear. I've never heard of this and I've had a driver's license in 2 states (one state twice). They each required different things. No one said oh you're over 25, here ya go!

Quote:
Why do you need to know how to drive stick shift when most cars are automatic? Why learn something harder when there's an easier way? Especially if the easier way is mainstream.
Automatic transmissions are a fairly new thing in the 100+ years of cars. There are still vehicles available with manual transmissions. Many people prefer them. You can't have a tractor trailer move more than 3 inches with an automatic transmission.....even your local UPS truck would suck without stick shift.

Learning to drive a stick shift really isn't that difficult. Once you learn, you don't even think about it. You just do it like tying your shoelaces.

And if you want to drive a motorcycle, atv, dirt bike, dune buggie, etc, then you need to learn how to shift. No way around that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You do! You clearly belong to the generation that is becoming infamous thanks to the "self esteem" movement and helicopter parenting. Boys wearing tight girl-pants during puberty might have something to do with it too.

Son, back in my day we scored with chicks in-person instead of just trading pictures of our junk... usually in the back seat of the fine not-so-gently used automobiles we bought ourselves with money we made flipping burgers after school and wrestled into running condition with our greasy... no, bloody hands in High School auto shop.
No joke. I was into my now husband's car and it was a chick magnet. A car says a lot about a person especially when you're under 25.

And the skin tight jeans thing doesn't make sense to me at all. Doesn't work on either males or females. Why would anyone want to look like a stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I really dread the day my daughter will take away my car keys. I remember that it was a sad day when they told my grandfather he couldn't drive anymore. Then, when the doctor told my dad "I wouldn't want to be on the road with you" and told him no more driving. There is something about the freedom that being able to drive and go where you want to go and how you want to go. There is just something about being able to control a car and enjoy it !! I don't understand these kids nowadays that don't seem to be interested in driving or cars. It just seems so foreign to me. Am I THAT out of it??
I also dread this day. I honestly think that when that day comes, my days will be numbered. I know I won't want to give up my wheels or my freedom.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:41 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,453,299 times
I grew up in a small town. My graduating class had about 160 people. My whole high school had like 750 or something. Of course you can get much more rural than that. It's nice, quiet, scenic and full of nature, which is something you don't have in the city.

The other day my hubby and I left to go to the grocery store, and a deer darts across the road in front of us. Yes, you have to drive places, but big deal. I've grown up always needing a car to get places.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 PM

143 posts, read 169,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
There's no buses where I live. Not everywhere has buses. If buses were an option I WOULD ride on them. I'm not scared of homeless people, why would I be?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
First off, you're breaking the law. Stop it! Secondly, for a teenager, drivng means freedom. It means going with friends on road trips to places like the lake, beach, etc. what's fun is the memories you get from such experiences. As for driving being fun, that depends on the roads. Typical straight highways and city streets aren't fun. We drive those as a chore commuting to and from work or running errands. But find a winding country road that follows a stream or the curves of a mountain/canyon wall and then you'll have fun. Even a slow car can be fun on such roads. Next time you drive, turn off your cell phone, turn off the car's stereo, and head for the hills, country, mountains, canyon, whatever. Getting lost is part of the fun because you'll find new unexpected things. We got lost once and found a seafood restaurant to die for. Another time I got lost and found a wonderful mountain road. If you like fishing and camping, I've found many great fishing spots while lost. I had more fun in those spots I found than the initial destination I wanted to go to. Grow some balls, be a man, and grow up.
By any chance, was its name "The Red Lobster"?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:33 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
There will not be any "guideways" or "tracks", it will be done through sensors, lasers or radar on the vehicle. There are cars now that can practically drive themselves. I think the technology still has a long way to go and I'll never feel comfortable riding in a driverless car.
I don't see how the task, which involves far more factors than those for a "tracked" vehicle such as a railcar, can be accomplished with sensors alone; there are simply too many of them -- highway vehicles, much less so than railcars, would not be as severely affected by either gradients (hills) or weather, for example.

As I've opined in other threads, I'd bet that any opportunities in this field will arise within a limited area; the major toll roads, particularly those situated in non-moutainous regions offer the best opportuinities -- in no small part because some of them allow trucks in excess of normal size and weight restrictions, and offer a direct opportunity to produce savings in "hard dollars".

GM's new pilot program will be very interesting to watch, but as a poet once said "There's many a slip, etc."

Old 09-08-2014, 09:16 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
The OP also thinks that living in rural areas is stupid:

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ive-rural.html

He's a closed minded teenager that thinks their choices are the best for everyone and can't see ANYTHING from the perspective of someone else. He doesn't want to hear the reasons anyone likes to drive, or live in rural areas, he just wants his own myopic opinions supported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive