Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:14 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
I heard if you're over a certain age (25?) you don't have to test for a license. That's dangerous.
You do know that with practice your skill level can improve, right? But hey, if you're that scared of driving, you're doing everyone a favor by staying off the roads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 04:23 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
When I drove with my parents a few times it wasn't really fun. It was frustration from not braking fast enough and passing stop signs and worry about cops seeing that. I don't see how driving on the highway could be fun. Me and a friend think it'd be terrifying because you have to drive so fast, if you hit another car you might be more likely to die. And if you don't brake soon enough it might be death, or jail and/or a ticket.
First off, you're breaking the law. Stop it! Secondly, for a teenager, drivng means freedom. It means going with friends on road trips to places like the lake, beach, etc. what's fun is the memories you get from such experiences. As for driving being fun, that depends on the roads. Typical straight highways and city streets aren't fun. We drive those as a chore commuting to and from work or running errands. But find a winding country road that follows a stream or the curves of a mountain/canyon wall and then you'll have fun. Even a slow car can be fun on such roads. Next time you drive, turn off your cell phone, turn off the car's stereo, and head for the hills, country, mountains, canyon, whatever. Getting lost is part of the fun because you'll find new unexpected things. We got lost once and found a seafood restaurant to die for. Another time I got lost and found a wonderful mountain road. If you like fishing and camping, I've found many great fishing spots while lost. I had more fun in those spots I found than the initial destination I wanted to go to. Grow some balls, be a man, and grow up.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
If anything you should be much more scared of more humans driving. Computer make WAY less mistakes than humans. Humans drink and drive, text and drive, fall asleep while driving. Driving is extremely dangerous and computers are programmed to do specific tasks like driving. So obviously computers should be controlling cars, not humans. It'll save many lives. Also they need that V2V so we don't crash around corners. The car will know from sensors and radar and can avoid it, while a person would be doomed to death or injury.
Because they cannot even automate trains right now, let alone get cars right. The Miami Metromover has had a few incidents and it is all computer driven. The DC metro system auto train control system malfunctioned killing 9 people in 2009.

These are trains, very predicable, one direction, machines. There is also an entire support department with the sole responsibility of ensuring the system is functioning properly, and the trains are brought in for mandatory routine maintenance and checks.

A car will not have none of that, a car is not going to have an entire support staff overlooking it and monitoring its systems, the owners are not going to bring the cars in after so many hours of operation for complete checks, and a car has thousands of possible factors influencing its operations; other cars, pedestrians, road conditions, etc.

Also, I like driving, many people do, there are already options available for those who do not want to drive.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:29 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
I heard if you're over a certain age (25?) you don't have to test for a license. That's dangerous.
Ummm, you're wrong. If you've never had a license you must pass a written and skills test no matter how old you are. Depending on your state's laws, if your license expires without you renewing, you must take the test all over again. There are other circumstances depending on the state in which one may have to retest to get their license again.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
By the way everyone, check the OP's post history, he has some serious mental issues regarding driving among other things;

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ive-rural.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-year-old.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...rless-car.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...iking-8-a.html

Old 09-05-2014, 04:49 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,858 times
Quote:
When I drove with my parents a few times it wasn't really fun. It was frustration from not braking fast enough and passing stop signs and worry about cops seeing that. I don't see how driving on the highway could be fun. Me and a friend think it'd be terrifying because you have to drive so fast, if you hit another car you might be more likely to die. And if you don't brake soon enough it might be death, or jail and/or a ticket.
Jeez, talk about paranoid! I'm 20 and I love to drive. I don't like this idea because computers can malfunction.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:55 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,022,935 times
I like a human in control, I don't like some of the stupid things human's do.

I could see an automated car for the routine "drive me to work and home" since I really don't enjoy that commute much anyway. But I love road trips, I love going into the country to get lost and as stated discovering new things. But this is also the guy who just bought a 22 year old 350 horsepower toy car for sunny days and weekends...wait, I think it's a sunny day. I need to go drive!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
another teenage psycho use to create threads on the same topic

please go check them out- I have an idea you have already read them

Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
If anything you should be much more scared of more humans driving. Computer make WAY less mistakes than humans. Humans drink and drive, text and drive, fall asleep while driving. Driving is extremely dangerous and computers are programmed to do specific tasks like driving. So obviously computers should be controlling cars, not humans. It'll save many lives. Also they need that V2V so we don't crash around corners. The car will know from sensors and radar and can avoid it, while a person would be doomed to death or injury.

Just because you like something doesn't mean everyone likes the same thing. You want a driverless car? Ok when they build one feel free to go buy one. Just like I tell people about electric cars. You want one go buy one. But don't force me to buy or drive one. Its personal freedom.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
why are you such a baby that you want a driverless car? cant handle the fun of driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive