Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 AM

276 posts, read 337,847 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I passed a car over the double yellow line. The ticket the cop wrote listed the infraction as passing within 100 feet of an intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Did you fight it? Or at least measure the distance to the nearest intersection?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
My mom passed someone on a double yellow MANY years ago who was going very slow on the highway. Come to find out, they were going that slow because they were about to turn left (highway with turns, instead of exits), even though they didn't have their signal on. They turned left into her, not realizing she was illegally passing them. She was 100% at fault. The double yellows are usually there for a reason.

That being said, if someone was going under 20 on farm equipment or a vehicle with hazard lights on, in a 55 zone, I'd pass them on a double yellow if I definitely had a clear line of sight, and I'd argue the ticket if I got pulled over.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:16 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
The only times I have ever done that, were to pass a tractor, or a bicyclist.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:49 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
What about when there is snow on the road and you can't see any lines? There's always someone with inadequate skill/tires traveling at 1/2 the speed limit.

IIRC in CO you can cross the double yellow to move over for police cars, bicycles and incompetent drivers (I may have made that last one up).

Old 12-29-2014, 03:55 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Have spent many miles on such roads and have noticed that when it's safe to pass, the lines are yellow dashes. When it's not safe to pass, at curves or upcoming hills in which you can't see oncoming traffic, that's when the double yellows are there. Very dangerous to cross double yellow lines. Hold out for the yellow dashes, hopefully the road engineers have covered all those details in your area.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:08 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My mom passed someone on a double yellow MANY years ago who was going very slow on the highway. Come to find out, they were going that slow because they were about to turn left (highway with turns, instead of exits), even though they didn't have their signal on. They turned left into her, not realizing she was illegally passing them. She was 100% at fault. The double yellows are usually there for a reason.

That being said, if someone was going under 20 on farm equipment or a vehicle with hazard lights on, in a 55 zone, I'd pass them on a double yellow if I definitely had a clear line of sight, and I'd argue the ticket if I got pulled over.
i had forgotten that that happened to me once .. i was passing a tractor and he cut into me .. i went through his yard to avoid him .. did a few doughnuts in his yard as well to show my appreciation for no signal ..and even had a policeman behind me .. he stopped me up the road and laughed about it but said dont do it again ..

Old 12-29-2014, 04:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I am wondering if it is ever legal to pass in a no passing zone (providing the road is clear).

I'm in a rural area and sometimes we get farmers going down the highway on their tractors going 15 mph on a 55mph road. Is it legal to pass (if safe)? How about if you are behind a driver "having difficulty" and going 1/3 the speed limit?
No ;Plain and simple. Wait until out of that no passing zone. Its mark for good reason. The only exception is when directed to do so by a flag man or police office.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yes. In Vermont a double yellow line does not have the force of law, but simply advises the driver that the state considers passing to be dangerous at that location. If they want to prohibit passing they mark the no-passing zone with signs.

I think Vermont may be unique in this regard.
Yes Vermont!!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
The usual reason the line is doubled is because there isn't clear view forward far enough ahead see an oncoming vehicle. If the speed limit is 55 mph, that means you would be closing on an unseen oncoming vehicle at at least 110mph. That's about half a football field per second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive