Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Ohio drivers are notorious for doing this.
And 49 other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 11:40 AM

10 posts, read 8,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
One thing that has always bugged me--wrecks on the Interstate. Now, I will admit, first and foremost, with the exception of the "rat running" practice which I oppose (and thus don't practice myself), I view all roads as a means to get where I'm going and dislike any delays, ANY. To me, the roads are for one thing--moving. Period. If it's not about that, I want it out of the way. Funeral processions, stopping traffic and telling people to pull over "out of respect"--phooey, to heck with it, someone died whom I don't know, what do I care? If I want to pay my respects I'll go to the funeral itself. People who drive slowly in the mountains--you see a line of cars behind you, move over. You can't drive the speed limit because you're too old or frail--sorry, but you can no longer drive at all.

All of that being said, I understand how wrecks happen in the city limits, but I've never understood how people wreck on the Interstate. Understand--I'm not talking about very crowded LA freeways etc, I'm talking of Interstates where there's a 70 mph speed limit and everyone is moving right along. It makes no sense to me how people wreck in those situations. There are no school zones, no stop lights, no points of interests (malls, shopping centers, schools, places of work, restaurants etc) which people are pulling into (they will exit off the freeway to do so), no people making turns--everyone is just moving. The roads are straight, typically not icy or such, and with all of those complicating factors not being a part of the situation, it would seem very easy driving that would not involve wrecks.

And yet, people wreck on them, ALL the time. It makes no sense to me.

I will admit that it bothers me, yes, mainly because of how it inconveniences me. When these wrecks happen, they create a HUGE amount of traffic backed up and I'm thinking "how can you people wreck on such easy roads? Now thanks to your incompetence I'm stuck here for an eternity." That also brings me to another problem--they don't do enough to detour people around the wreck many times in terms of sending someone 2-odd miles ahead of the wreck with detour signs to route traffic away from it. If you happen to have someone as a passenger who is "co-piloting" with Google Maps or the like running in "bird's eye" view with the traffic "layer" enabled, often-times they could warn you of an impending log-jam and then re-route you around it. Otherwise, you will go right into it not aware and find yourself in an awful mess.

Yesterday was a good example of that, I was riding with someone but thank goodness I knew ahead of time, due to looking at a local news site, that there was a wreck on the Interstate. Thus, I activated "Road Warrior" (an alternative maps app that, nonetheless, seems to "piggy-back" off the Google Maps engine) on my phone in "bird's eye" view with the traffic "layer" enabled, and was able to see the areas highlighted in red indicating huge traffic. I was then able to use the "routes" option on Google Maps to quickly find other ways to get where we were going (whereas, otherwise, Google Maps will always direct you to the Interstate). Had I not known, we'd gone right smack dab into it, most likely.

Thoughts?
Put enough time in behind the wheel on interstates and you'll understand how wrecks happen. Until then, may I suggest a flying car for you? You seem to have little patience for other people and the imperfections of life.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:17 PM

139 posts, read 193,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Put your average American driver with 15 years of driving "experience" behind the wheel and put your average Sweede or German with a 2 year experience behind the wheel and the American will have his azz handed to him.

Have you ever seen a 4 way intersection with traffic lights out? Complete cluster duck. Our traffic schools and testing is horrendous. I wonder if people were called and given a surprise driver test how many would fail.
I am not sure why people think Europeans are better drivers. Have you ever compared America's population to the UK, Germany and Sweden?

Population
United States (2015): 321 million
United Kingdom (2015): 64 million
Germany (2015): 80 million
Sweden (2015): 9.8 million........ (New york City has a population of 8.5 million)

In America there are going to be more people which means more cars on the road which means more accidents are likely to happen.

Also those european countries seem to have pretty decent public transportation. I have a friend living their and he always says how he can use public transportation to travel all over western europe in decent time, because of this he does not need to drive as much. In America public transportation is not that great so people resort to driving, which means more cars on the road and even more accidents.

In Europe the average working hours is less then United States.
Average work hours per week:
United States: 38 hours
Germany: 35 hours
Italy: 36 hours
Sweden: 36 hours
norway: 33 hours

Also in some european countries they have laws that limit business for operating whenever they want. In America we have business that are open 24/7. Also in some areas in Europe it is illegal to start schools at early times like 7:30 am, but in America schools can start 7:30am. There are also more laws that help citizens of these european countries to have a more balanced lifestyle.

One cause of accidents is the lack of attention on the road, when one is tired they are more likely to get into an accidents (some say that being tired is like driving drunk) because of their lack of focus and attention. Someone in America is more likely to be tired then someone in Europe and someone in America is more likely to be in the rush. When I was a student I had a class at 7:30am and another class that ended around 10pm and you bet I was getting sleepy behind the wheel which made my driving worst. Thank goodness I did not get into any accidents!

I do not think a harder driving test alone will decrease car accidents much. Also America is very car dependent so by having harder driving test with less people passing will rise another issue. Also how much of that test are they going to apply their daily driving really? I have taken some pretty difficult tests in college that I have passed but if I had to take a surprize one today I would fail without a doubt.

I do not think their is an easy way to solve this and comparing American drivers to European drivers is not a fair comparison. Their are multiple variables that need to be considered.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,758 times
Ah, this thread took longer than most to devolve into a "Europe does everything bettar!!!!11!!!1" fest.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:42 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
One thing that has always bugged me--wrecks on the Interstate. Now, I will admit, first and foremost, with the exception of the "rat running" practice which I oppose (and thus don't practice myself), I view all roads as a means to get where I'm going and dislike any delays, ANY. To me, the roads are for one thing--moving. Period. If it's not about that, I want it out of the way. Funeral processions, stopping traffic and telling people to pull over "out of respect"--phooey, to heck with it, someone died whom I don't know, what do I care? If I want to pay my respects I'll go to the funeral itself. People who drive slowly in the mountains--you see a line of cars behind you, move over. You can't drive the speed limit because you're too old or frail--sorry, but you can no longer drive at all.

All of that being said, I understand how wrecks happen in the city limits, but I've never understood how people wreck on the Interstate. Understand--I'm not talking about very crowded LA freeways etc, I'm talking of Interstates where there's a 70 mph speed limit and everyone is moving right along. It makes no sense to me how people wreck in those situations. There are no school zones, no stop lights, no points of interests (malls, shopping centers, schools, places of work, restaurants etc) which people are pulling into (they will exit off the freeway to do so), no people making turns--everyone is just moving. The roads are straight, typically not icy or such, and with all of those complicating factors not being a part of the situation, it would seem very easy driving that would not involve wrecks.

And yet, people wreck on them, ALL the time. It makes no sense to me.

I will admit that it bothers me, yes, mainly because of how it inconveniences me. When these wrecks happen, they create a HUGE amount of traffic backed up and I'm thinking "how can you people wreck on such easy roads? Now thanks to your incompetence I'm stuck here for an eternity." That also brings me to another problem--they don't do enough to detour people around the wreck many times in terms of sending someone 2-odd miles ahead of the wreck with detour signs to route traffic away from it. If you happen to have someone as a passenger who is "co-piloting" with Google Maps or the like running in "bird's eye" view with the traffic "layer" enabled, often-times they could warn you of an impending log-jam and then re-route you around it. Otherwise, you will go right into it not aware and find yourself in an awful mess.

Yesterday was a good example of that, I was riding with someone but thank goodness I knew ahead of time, due to looking at a local news site, that there was a wreck on the Interstate. Thus, I activated "Road Warrior" (an alternative maps app that, nonetheless, seems to "piggy-back" off the Google Maps engine) on my phone in "bird's eye" view with the traffic "layer" enabled, and was able to see the areas highlighted in red indicating huge traffic. I was then able to use the "routes" option on Google Maps to quickly find other ways to get where we were going (whereas, otherwise, Google Maps will always direct you to the Interstate). Had I not known, we'd gone right smack dab into it, most likely.

Thoughts?
Probably some body driving fast, using a cell phone

Old 06-02-2016, 02:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I seem to find less accidents during heavy rain or snow. People drive more careful and pay more attention. On days the weather is nice and sunny there are more accidents and more fatalities. Just too many of those accidents where the driver hits a tree, pole, or guard rail on their own.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 PM

242 posts, read 317,631 times
Most states require commercial drivers to drive with their headlights and taillights on. That should be required for passenger vehicles as well. Whats more important, fuel economy or safety? I cant believe that there are many drivers that drive with lights off when its raining and foggy. A silver sedan can blend in with the pavement. Automatic daylights don't always turn on the rear lights.

Using signals has become a myth as well. The problem is that many people just want to get their license as fast as possible.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:56 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Put your average American driver with 15 years of driving "experience" behind the wheel and put your average Sweede or German with a 2 year experience behind the wheel and the American will have his azz handed to him.

Have you ever seen a 4 way intersection with traffic lights out? Complete cluster duck. Our traffic schools and testing is horrendous. I wonder if people were called and given a surprise driver test how many would fail.
As someone who use to live in Sweden...I think not.

It is not that Americans nor anyone else does not know, as you imply, it is that they do not care. You can give people ten years of training and all the exams in the world, but if they do not care, it will not matter.

Most people when they drive like crap it is because they are doing it on purpose, not because they do not know how to. In your example, there are plenty of idiots in Sweden also, it is just in general, Swedes are more law abiding, but that is reflected throughout all of their society, not just driving.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsoto1988 View Post
Most states require commercial drivers to drive with their headlights and taillights on. That should be required for passenger vehicles as well. Whats more important, fuel economy or safety? I cant believe that there are many drivers that drive with lights off when its raining and foggy. A silver sedan can blend in with the pavement. Automatic daylights don't always turn on the rear lights.

Using signals has become a myth as well. The problem is that many people just want to get their license as fast as possible.
Ah no, most states do not require commercial drivers to drive with their lights, or there is such gross violations of this, it is a requirement in name only.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
IMHO - Interstate accidents involving single cars are generally due to inattention, incapacity, distraction or neglect. Inattention can be caused by fatigue boredom or alcohol. Incapacity by any number of reasons from cataracts to stupidity. Distraction by music, texting, telephones and obnoxious passengers including unruly children. Neglect includes bald tires, bad brakes or disintegrating suspensions.

Around here the primary reason is still driving drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive