Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:28 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
That is an opinion that I agree with. People do follow too closely and they aren't aware of it. I notice this myself. Which leads to my point.

Using the hazard lights when approaching the rear of stop traffic works. I take my foot off the pedal and coast right into the traffic. Drivers in the other lane continue to race to rear and slam on their brakes. The flow of traffic adjusts itself to the stopped traffic ahead.

I discovered this on my own when I got tired with braking every two seconds. Accepting that I wasn't going to anywhere, I decided to sit back. What harm was I doing to traffic behind me if the traffic in front is stopped anyway? Some drivers don't understand this as they aggressively get around me only to stop a few feet ahead. While they come to a stop, I pass right on by them moments later. Not only do I keep at a constant speed but this reduces the chances of being rear ended. Moving at a steady 25-30 mph is better than 5 mph with frequent stops.
Like you, one of the things I do when I see traffic coming to a rapid halt on the highway is activate my hazards to get the attention of cars behind me. In Europe, hitting the brakes hard enough activates them automatically, but alas it is not a requirement here yet.

The other thing I will do, like you, is coast at a lower speed through congestion rather than be constantly on the gas and then coming to a stop. The best is when you can get next to a trucker that is doing the same thing. Yes, drivers behind me often get upset - they can't seem to grasp that they're not going to get anywhere faster by staying right on the bumper of the car ahead.

Glad to see there are other heads-up drivers still on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, let's see. I've driven, over the years, pretty much everything from a sports car (MGB) to a Dodge Cummins Ram extended body pickup with an 8 foot bed and pretty much everything in between.

I call bs. First, I don't know of anyone who tries to drive their pickup like a sports car, and, second, pickups handle a lot better than you apparently think they do. When's the last time you actually drove one? What kind and year was it?
Please. I have driven about every vehicle known to man, from a '55 Chevy, '60 Vette, F150/350, Alfa Romeo, Caddy's and more, but then there are the real cars I have driven. BMW 330, 740, Audi A4's. Believe me, once you start driving a GOOD car, you realize the difference. Huge difference in handling in rain, dry and snow when you step up to cars meant for the Autobahn. Also, being from a place like Pittsburgh gives me a chance to drive in the worst conditions. Texas? Great roads and flat and very little snow, not to mention way less rain. Just different worlds of experience here. MGB's would be junk, like my '55 Chevy was. That thing was a death trap, but sort of fun in its own way. Made to go in a straight line, like most American cars. Hellcat comes to mind as being junk.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:33 AM

Everything handles on the road better today than its ancestor did 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Regardless, a truck has a higher center of gravity and more mass and thus will never handle as well as a lighter vehicle that has a lower tendency to roll over.

There's a reason race cars don't have 10" lift kits.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:14 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Like you, one of the things I do when I see traffic coming to a rapid halt on the highway is activate my hazards to get the attention of cars behind me. In Europe, hitting the brakes hard enough activates them automatically, but alas it is not a requirement here yet.
\
In Europe, the hazards are amber and separate from the brake lights. Here, some cars have them combined, and when they're on then there are no brake lights, or only the third brake light works.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
In Europe, the hazards are amber and separate from the brake lights. Here, some cars have them combined, and when they're on then there are no brake lights, or only the third brake light works.
Yes, I think it has been common knowledge for about 30 years now that amber turn signals and red brake signals are better for avoiding crashes, but here in the USA we still allow all rear indicators to be red.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:10 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,507 times
Quote:
Yes, I think it has been common knowledge for about 30 years now that amber turn signals and red brake signals are better for avoiding crashes, but here in the USA we still allow all rear indicators to be red.
It doesn't matter what color they are if people don't bother to use them in the first place!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Funeral processions, stopping traffic and telling people to pull over "out of respect"--phooey, to heck with it, someone died whom I don't know, what do I care? If I want to pay my respects I'll go to the funeral itself.
The other day I was stopped at a green light because a funeral procession was going through the intersection (on the road I was crossing over, not the road I was on). The car behind me was too impatient to wait the 15 seconds it would take the cars to pass through the intersection, so passed me on the shoulder and almost caused an accident zipping through the cars in the funeral procession.

That was you wasn't it?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Please. I have driven about every vehicle known to man, from a '55 Chevy, '60 Vette, F150/350, Alfa Romeo, Caddy's and more, but then there are the real cars I have driven. BMW 330, 740, Audi A4's. Believe me, once you start driving a GOOD car, you realize the difference. Huge difference in handling in rain, dry and snow when you step up to cars meant for the Autobahn. Also, being from a place like Pittsburgh gives me a chance to drive in the worst conditions. Texas? Great roads and flat and very little snow, not to mention way less rain. Just different worlds of experience here. MGB's would be junk, like my '55 Chevy was. That thing was a death trap, but sort of fun in its own way. Made to go in a straight line, like most American cars. Hellcat comes to mind as being junk.
I repeat, have you driven a pickup? Year and size?

As I said, I'm NOT saying a pickup is a sports car (and I didn't mention all the vehicles I've driven by far, just the range in size - I used to date a racer - car and motorcycle - and drove some of his cars, and hung out with people who were, at the time, trying to break the land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats, so I picked up a bit about handling), but your idea of a pickup indicates that you have absolutely no experience of them. (Plus, apparently, a very limited idea of Texas that considers mostly West Texas and not all of that.)

Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:

The other thing I will do, like you, is coast at a lower speed through congestion rather than be constantly on the gas and then coming to a stop. The best is when you can get next to a trucker that is doing the same thing. Yes, drivers behind me often get upset - they can't seem to grasp that they're not going to get anywhere faster by staying right on the bumper of the car ahead.

Glad to see there are other heads-up drivers still on the road.
I usually tap my brakes three times as rapidly as possible to alert drivers behind me of drastically changing conditions. And on occasion, I've seen others do the same.

My mother was taught to do this back when she started driving in the 50's and I learned it from her, but I don't think too many people are taught to do it these days, or are perhaps just too complacent.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You clearly don't understand what a good car would be like to drive. My A4 would run circles around some Jeep in every condition except snow over 8" or off road. How many times would you encounter that? I ski and have driven my Audi through snow blowing over the hood. You haven't a clue what a fine car is like to drive. Good luck thinking you are in a good handling vehicle in a Jeep. I will no doubt be passing you in a ditch someday. Hopefully you won't be rolled over and you survive.
You are funny. I do not need to drive an overpriced Audi. And FYI, it's my son's Grand Cherokee. He needs it for what he does. There is no way his ice fishing sled, ice shelter, power auger, tip ups, coolers, and gun cases would all fit comfortably in a little Audi. Plus, it would be mighty difficult driving on the lakes through snow and over ice bridges with the little car. It rides nice and high so he can see over traffic and can drive over and through deep snow.

He's never had an accident, never had a ticket, does not speed, and is a more careful driver than most idiots out there. He gets the good student insurance discount applied until he's mid-20s, since he graduated with honors.

Why on earth would I ever be rolled over? You make zero sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive