Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,402,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I seem them as gas guzzlers bought for image over practicality.
What kind of image would someone be trying to pull off in a crown vic?

The car is not going to win any awards in the style section of any car magazines. The car has two too many doors. I see it as a car that is practical for a family guy. When i was a kid the Crown Vic would have been a family type of car, 4 doors and a large trunk. It has warn its welcome though as the SUV has taken over as the family car. I just don't see a need for a large boat in todays world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 12:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,863,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
doesnt matter, the 4.6 is quite a capable motor.
If that were true you would see plenty of modified Crown Vics ala Impala SS. Or it would be known as a good platform for hotrodders but of course it is not. Unlike the Marauder.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-26-2015 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 01:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,406,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I seem them as gas guzzlers bought for image over practicality.
How? They're workhorses engineered for durability and simplicity. Fuel economy is not a to priority. There is no image.

The 4.6 isn't the best engine ever but it serves its purpose in the Crown Vic. An Ecoboosted Crown Vic would have been pretty cool.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:11 PM

26,454 posts, read 46,720,489 times
They are gas guzzlers if mostly driven in the city, highway mileage is average at best. Ford better get with the program and build a completely modern version of it.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:13 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,376,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What kind of image would someone be trying to pull off in a crown vic?

The car is not going to win any awards in the style section of any car magazines. The car has two too many doors. I see it as a car that is practical for a family guy. When i was a kid the Crown Vic would have been a family type of car, 4 doors and a large trunk. It has warn its welcome though as the SUV has taken over as the family car. I just don't see a need for a large boat in todays world.
A Crown Vic isn't all that large.

And I don't see a need for a bulky, vision-blocking SUV in today's world.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
They are gas guzzlers if mostly driven in the city, highway mileage is average at best. Ford better get with the program and build a completely modern version of it.
Well, I have owned a '95 Lincoln Town Car for the last 9 years. Fuel mileage has ranged from 17.3 to 24.3 mpg. Average is 20-21 mpg. Not really a gas guzzler

Old 04-26-2015, 01:24 PM

26,454 posts, read 46,720,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A Crown Vic isn't all that large.

And I don't see a need for a bulky, vision-blocking SUV in today's world.
It isn't large compared to the larger land yachts of the 70s era and before. I cannot stand not being able to see well over SUVs and 4 door trucks in parking lots! My older 04 Forester is like a smaller hatchback with a 99 inch wheelbase. It comes in handy when I need to park in any small parking slot in dense areas of the city.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:56 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,406,585 times
Quote:
1. They and their Panther platform siblings are out of production.

2. They primarily serve as fleet vehicles. Fleets take more into consideration than solely fuel economy when choosing their vehicles. Crown Vics are built body on frame and can take a lot of abuse a unibody can't and are much easier to fix the kinds of damage a police car or taxi might suffer. Parts are also very cheap.

As for fuel economy, they probably get like 15 mpg is town which is average. No vehicle with a similar amount of cargo/interior space is really going to do much better.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It isn't large compared to the larger land yachts of the 70s era and before. I cannot stand not being able to see well over SUVs and 4 door trucks in parking lots! My older 04 Forester is like a smaller hatchback with a 99 inch wheelbase. It comes in handy when I need to park in any small parking slot in dense areas of the city.
Rolls-Royce builds the Ghost, which is over a foot longer than a Crown Vic. Some of the larger SUVs and also as large or larger (longer) than a Crown Vic.

A Crown Vic is almost the same length of a mid-'60s Chevy Caprice or Ford Galaxie (though the wheelbase is less).

I usually use the phrase "full-sized" instead of "boat" or "land yacht." And I would definitely rather drive one of those than an egg-shaped econo-box!

Old 04-26-2015, 02:03 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,404,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
Oddly enough I like the police versions with the black grille and push bar. I would especially like a black and white unit complete with the aforementioned push bar and a spot light of course.
Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive