Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few 30+ year old Volvos around. Mine isn't there yet being an 85, but it is closer. With what I see as new and up coming I have 0 interest in any new car for me.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 AM

87 posts, read 139,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Americans should be buying cars that are made in America. Support our own economy instead of the economy of some other country.
Yeah! I agree completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd like to know what benefits America more, a Homda made in OH, a Pontiac made in Canada, a Hyundai made in AL, a Ford made in Mexico, etc., etc.,, etc.........................
I would say a Ford/GM/Chrysler made in Detroit!

Old 04-13-2013, 05:26 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphareign View Post

With parts from China.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphareign View Post

Theres not single Ford made in Detroit.. dont think there is a chevy either. I believe there are one or two Chhrysler made there.. also remember Chrysler is owned by the Italians.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:58 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Bigger vehicles with bigger engines are not crappy. They may cost more and use more gas but in exchange for that you get a better car with more legroom, more hiproom, more trunk space, and more power and acceleration, i.e. a car with greater usefulness for driving and other activities, especially over long distances. In a small car I have a burning desire to get out after less than 50 miles on the highway, whereas in a genuine full-size car (one I can fit in and spread out my legs) 100 miles feels like nothing.

As for trucks and SUVs, I like coupes myself, but I can understand why someone would purchase a new truck. Both trucks and SUVs have high ground clearance and towing capacity; in the case of trucks they have a spacious interior and a bed in the back, which comes in handy at the Home Depot; in the case of SUVs they have big cargo space and three rows of seats. All of these characteristics attract a certain segment of the market, and if they get the good out of the vehicle's capabilities I say more power to them. All too many SUV owners don't, but that's another tangent altogether.

As for the parts, that really varies. Some Fords and Chevys have less American parts content than some Toyotas and Hondas, so you'll just have to shop around. Generally speaking, though, American car companies will have more American parts content and spread the wealth around to the U.S. more than foreign automakers will. I myself don't care where my car was made as long as it's high quality.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
*yawn* ... here's for resurrecting a troll thread from 2 years ago guys.

"Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view."

A message from your friendly City-Data Administrator, at the bottom of every thread that dies, including troll threads.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-13-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 01:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I'm just happy we're not driving around in ugly little things like this....

Old 04-13-2013, 01:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Theres not single Ford made in Detroit.. dont think there is a chevy either. I believe there are one or two Chhrysler made there.. also remember Chrysler is owned by the Italians.
are you sure about that?

What cars are made in Detroit

Quote:
Contrary to reports of hard economic times in Detroit, many vehicles are still produced in Southeastern Michigan.
Here are a few
General Motors: Pontiac Assembly makes Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Orion Assembly makes the Pontiac G6 Lansing Assembly makes the GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook Lansing Grand River makes the Cadillac CTS, SRX and STS Flint Truck Assembly makes the Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Topkick and Kodiak Flint Truck also makes the Isuzu T-Series Detroit Assembly makes the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS
Chrysler: Sterling Heights Assembly makes the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring Conner Avenue Assembly (Detroit) makes the Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe & Roadster Jefferson North (Detroit) makes the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Commander Warren Truck Assembly makes many Dodge trucks and the Mitsubishi Raider
Ford: AutoAlliance (Ford and Mazda) in Flat Rock makes the Ford Mustang and Mazda6 Dearborn Truck Plant makes the Ford F-150 and Lincoln Mark LT Michigan Truck Plant makes the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Wayne Assembly makes the Ford Focus
Data accurate as of June 25, 2008 based on information from manufacturer's websites.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
....think more about nature. Why r u buying American cars with engine like 5.4 or more?? You can have better quality cars for example from Japan, Korea, or Europe.... What do u think about Smart cars in the US??? I think that it wont be sold much in the us, because u r habituated on ur ****ty cars. Thanks to all Americans who are buying or have bought economical Asian/ European cars. Please think about polar bears. Their ground is breaking... However, ground is breaking not only for them...
I don't understand why you care what other people do with their money. If they wanna buy a V8 w/crappy gas mileage that's there decision. Can't convince everyone, let things be.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Us american would like to think asia for buying more of our cars. If it weren't for those fords/Chevy/Dodges those piece of crap Asian/European cars wouldn't even be selling right now. I drive a 1993 Chevy lumina and that baby rides like it is brand new with 180,000 miles on it, and yes all it takes is good maintenance. I can also take it to just about any auto mechanic shop because they all know how to fix AMERICAN cars. Chevy/Ford are just as good if not better than Honda/Toyotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive