Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:33 PM

366 posts, read 494,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
This is a question of priorities.

I've seen plenty of poorer neighborhoods where people live in low income housing but there are Mercedes in the parking lot, women wearing expensive name brand clothing to show off that they can afford it, expensive basketball sneakers, but in reality they have nothing but the clothes on their backs and the fancy car parked in the street.

When you put other people's opinion of you ahead of your comfort and saftey you've got a priority issue.

Why do you feel you need a luxury car when a used Camry would serve you just as well?

you could save the money you didn't spend on your future (ie house, retirement, trip)

leasing is one way around the cost.
THIS.

In my mind (no jokes about my mind, please) I see people wanting a Benz etc. because they feel they need to show off to others, prove something to others about their self worth, boost up their frail egos. OR they're a collector of cars like Jay Leno and are so fantastically wealthy that a Benz would be like buying a model train set.

I don't see the point of luxury cars. I have an Acura that my FIL handed down and it's a hot mess. (Literally, the AC is busted along with a ton of other things and though it's a lower-end luxury car, it's still a car and falls apart like any other car in existence.) At least it was a gift and I didn't buy it, but we've sunk enough money into the sucker to keep fixing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:53 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Yeah sure. Live at your parents house for free when you're 40 years old and drive a $80k Range Rover.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Yeah sure. Live at your parents house for free when you're 40 years old and drive a $80k Range Rover.
This. Some parents want their adult children to live at home, so if an expensive car keeps them there, the parents are fine with it.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
The Genesis comes closest to a luxury car, near new and under 40K. It’s one of the better looking cars out there.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Police auction

Old 07-07-2015, 09:16 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I love cars but I don't understand why people get so stuck on name brands. I can buy pretty expensive cars and I do. But if I didn't have the money to buy those cars, I would do what I did before I had money and buy a really good car in my price range. And be totally happy with that.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The Genesis comes closest to a luxury car, near new and under 40K. It’s one of the better looking cars out there.
Genesis is wack. It's a bastardized version of the Elantra.

I'd rather have a optima or K900 and even they suck.

Last edited by Europeanflava; 07-07-2015 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post

Says the guy who can't afford one.

Get a used Corolla until you can afford better and call it a day.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:

The Genesis has nothing in common with the Elantra, save for being produced by the same company. Have you driven one? I've driven the previous generation many miles as rentals and have also driven the new one. The new one is very safe with advanced features and comes very close to the E-Class at which it was positioned, with any perceived shortcomings offset by the value proposition as it is a good $15k less than a similarly equipped E. The Genesis is a vehicle that one buys when they want anonymity in their choice, as it is not an aspirational vehicle, but one that fills a position of an upscale full-size vehicle that does not project any pretensions. I don't own a Genesis, but would consider buying one as a full-sized cruiser as it is a very compelling vehicle, not in terms of driving experience, but it is comfortable and does many things well.

But, if you are spending Genesis money, just buy a C-Class as they are in the same price category. I would buy a car that you like, not one that you think projects an image because most people don't pay any attention to your vehicle. Since the advent of the CLA in the US, the C is not the entry-level baby Benz that it once was, as the FWD CLA occupies that slot. The C is not a luxury car, though, more a premium mid-size, like the Audi A4 and BMW 3-series. Luxury would begin with higher trim E-CLass, 5-Series, and A6, IMO, though even that can be debated.

Few people care or notice if you drive an S65 or a garden variety S550, or an E63 or a generic (and about as common as a Honda Accord) E350. If you don't like the car, why buy it? Drive what you like, and maybe that's a sports car, or a top of the range mainstream sedan that has premium features. Life is too short to be a slave to a car payment if you want to buy new on a more budget-conscious salary. Perhaps there is some superficial level of recognition, but when you can't back up the projected lifestyle by going out, wining and dining, traveling, etc., the entrée that the car gave you falls short with the superficial set as the car only carries you so far.

However, I will say that a new more expensive vehicle may be ostentatious on a lower salary, but the "right" look, i.e., a slightly older model that is in absolute mint mechanical and cosmetic condition can indicate that you appreciate the finer things and appreciate the value offered by the marque in terms of long-term ownership, and are not swayed by conventions of the nouveau-riche. Nobody has to know that you didn't buy an E-Class or even a Volvo station wagon new, but the condition and care, presented with the image projected offers a more affordable alternative, but you have to budget for maintenance that you do not with a newer vehicle. If you really want a luxury car, I'd lease, as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread because the cost is controlled, provided you live within the lease terms.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-07-2015, 11:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:

Elantra? It’s like saying LS460 is a bastardized version of the Corolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive