Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times

Advertisements

europeanflava:

If you have to ask, you cannot afford it.

If you really want a car you cannot afford, get a second part tie job.

Seriously.

Other options: lease, buy used, search Craigslist {even try other nearby cities/areas}. Keep forever well maintained for years to come so you always have one.

That's how i managed it in the late 80s. I bought a full sized "luxury loaded" 4x4- when "luxury" was NOT a common "pickup truck" thing, now ALL almost are built to "luxury" specifications. I had to have a second job to pay for my "want"...of course that second job ALSO allowed me some vacations I would not have been able to afford on my one job alone either...
I bought the brand new truck for $20K, when according to this chart at least the average car price was $6,768.:
In The 80s - Prices in the Eighties
Another site lists the brand new Mustang at $7,452 in 1986! a Mercedes 190E 4 door was about $24K brand new then.

I now only buy what I can realistically/reasonably afford. If I can't find it affordable in new, I buy used. My current vehicle { a minivan-I am a van/truck person} was bought at 4 years old, 55K on it..it is now at 78K miles {no I don't drive that far}, and is now 9 years old, long long ago paid for. I will keep it at least another 6 years.. GREAT SHAPE. PAID FOR. AFFORDABLE.. Key words...

Also, BE realistic!

I'd like a "luxury car" as an extra car, but that's not realistic for me!
ANd I COULD afford one now that i have no car payment and $$ in the back towards a new one...BUT, NOT NEEDED!

Here is some other food for thought: WHERE are you going to get it serviced? Is there a MB dealer in your area? A "Foreign car" dealer who will service Euro imports?

Best of luck in your decision..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 12:32 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Drugs is illegal. And unless you work at McDonald's for five years and save like crazy it will not buy you a decent new car.
Well not all drugs, especially if you're headed to Denver.
If you have $35K and nothing saved for retirement it's probably best to be putting it toward that first. Wait until you are older to buy the primo car. I've owned new and used Saturns Toyotas Fords and Chevys most of my life and can finally move up to an Acura/Lexus/Buick type vehicle but it's taken a long time to get there.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:49 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
Quote:
Genesis is wack. It's a bastardized version of the Elantra.

I'd rather have a optima or K900 and even they suck.
Go live with mommy and daddy then.
I do not understand people like you. You have to ask how to afford an expensive vehicle, which means that you are unable to afford it. Then you look down on other vehicles. Why do you even want an expensive vehicle?

Like others said, get a used Camry. Yeah it's boring, but it's reliable, drive you anywhere and will not put you into the poorhouse.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:05 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
What if you want a new Benz. You save well for the job you have but its a little more than you want to spend.

Anyways how do people get to own luxury vehicles if they are a little more than they want to spend?
By spending a little more than they want to spend.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:13 AM

563 posts, read 524,129 times
Default All flash and no cash

Quote:
What if you want a new Benz. You save well for the job you have but its a little more than you want to spend.

Anyways how do people get to own luxury vehicles if they are a little more than they want to spend?

It is simple. They either lease them or they finance them for serval years. 84 months is offered on some auto loans. Not a bright thing to do. As an investment, a car losses more money faster than a very drunk, unlucky poker player.

I used to be fan of leasing, You never have the same car for more than 2,3 or 4 years; then you get a new one! Some people hate leasing, but it is only cause they don't understand how to make it work for them.

Example: Lease a New Porsche Boxster, 3 year lease, 36K miles to drive, (you get charged for every mile that you go over). This deal would be in the hood of 500 to 700 a month for 3 years, with a down payment of 5K? To buy this car, for say 57K either cash or finance with several choices of number of years, credit score, ect Payments would be determined by the size of your down and credit, Think 25K down and maybe 750 to 900 a month? Length of loan, credit.

If you want something more practical, get a BMW 3 series: Scheduled maintenance is included in the cost/lease of the car. Best way to go for a first timer.

Last edited by Hollywood55; 07-08-2015 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-08-2015, 04:23 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
I'd rather have a optima or K900 and even they suck.
Have you actually driven a K900? I have and I liked it.
There are few cars that can match its ride quality.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Have you actually driven a K900? I have and I liked it.
There are few cars that can match its ride quality.
I was talking to a Kia salesman and asked about both the Cadenza and the K900. Didn’t have either of them in stock because nobody was asking for them. He said Hyundai has a much better luck with the Genesis though. Seems like people are willing to pay more for a Hyundai but still not ready for a $60,000 Kia.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:04 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Seems like people are willing to pay more for a Hyundai but still not ready for a $60,000 Kia.
K900's are a future lux bargain.
There are '15's on AutoTrader for less than $40K already... talk about taking a huge dump.
I think it's a good looking car, but no wonder... if you put a side view pic of a K900 and a Maserati Quattroporte next to each other, they are nearly identical.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 AM

379 posts, read 359,334 times
It's just math. No, it is not possible to buy a car if you don't have enough money to buy it or make enough to cover the loan payments.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:12 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yup, Avalons are $40K.
Avalons are nice cars, but wouldn't consider them luxury cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive