Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:48 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times

Advertisements

Just tell them you already bought a new car. That always stops them.
I did tell them that once and they asked what I bought. I told them it was non of their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 04:53 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I went to a dealer last week to look at a car that was advertised. I sent their internet rep an email and she said they just received the car and it's in the shop as they get it ready. I go in the evening and the car is on the lot but it's a different color than what they advertised.

While I was there, I test drove a couple of cars but was not interested in either (one had too many miles and the other was the wrong color).

So now they apparently have the same color car that was advertised on their site. The salesperson has called me three days in a row and left a message.

First question, do dealers normally gather your personal info as soon as you hit the lot? When I arrived, the salesman couldn't wait to get me inside to get my name, number, address, etc. Unfortunately I didn't have my Google voice number memorized so I gave him my regular #. Next question, I changed my mind and want a different model vehicle so I am not interested in the vehicle he is calling about. Should I call him back or just let him keep leaving messages until he gets tired of it?
Do you know a foreign language?
Although I don't speak fluent Italian, I know enough to answer the phone "pronto". They would proceed to rattle on with whatever garbage that they are selling and I would interrupt "mi dispiace" "non parlo Inglese". Meaning Sorry, I don't speak English. At that point they don't know what to do so I manage the only English word that I know "Goobye".

One woman said I will have someone call you back in Spanish.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:57 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
What's so scary about answering the phone and telling them, "No thanks. Not interested." ?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
Fake # baby!
+1. I've done that a few times with pushy guys, both used car salemen and not. Suddenly I'm remembering the used car salesman scene from True Lies I even did this to a guy when I was a teenaged IHOP waitress, working the graveyard shift, and he grabbed my behind in a drunken stupor. I didn't do any damage, except to my career as a server, which ended abruptly that night. That was fine by me. I'm not cut out for waiting tables anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRf6Q1o7PE

Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,533,348 times
Back in the 90s I had a dealer call me for 4 months. It happened to be a woman sales rep, she pushed a lease which would have been 225 a month. I ended up buying not leaseing from another dealer for 210/month. I was out often and the messages were always on my machine when I came home, about 2-3 a week. Decided to see how long she would persist, I bought in April it went on all thru summer.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:30 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Well that didn't happen with me when I bought a new car last fall. I went for a few test drives without that leave your license with me crap--I took him with me on the test drives. Even after I made the purchase, I didn't give our email address. I told him We emailed you was something I was never going to hear.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
"So now they apparently have the same color car that was advertised on their site. The salesperson has called me three days in a row and left a message."

I'll tell you what's worse than that. When a dealership gets the prospective buyers number wrong and keeps calling someone else. That happened to me. After the first barrage, they called weekly for nearly two months.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I bought two trucks last year over the internet .Basically I used the makers site to see inventory at dealers close by and the hit button asking for a quote by e-mails. Some called and first thing I told them was I asked for e-mail quote and hung up. The best dealer with first offer did just that with complete list of everything on vehicles. I returned my offer to him which he accepted and went next day and took about a hour to out the door including test drive. Then I got e-mail form others I return saying I had already bought. The key to me is to know what you want and what you will pay by researching.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:56 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
The main question is this: is this a normal practice for dealers to get your personal info right away? He wouldn't even show me any cars, saying that they need this info to do business.
This is not a normal practice with decent dealers. If they won't show you any cars walk off the lot and go to a different dealer. Then tell everyone you know not to go there either.

Maybe check Yelp next time for car dealer reviews so you can avoid the worst of the scumballs.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I'm going to side with the salesman on this. You told him what you wanted. He's got it now, and he'd be doing you AND his dealership an injustice if he didn't follow up to let you know. Just tell him the truth, that you've changed your mind and will be buying a different car.

Salesmen can be pushy, but they can also be helpful. So far, it sounds like he's trying to be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive