Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times

Advertisements

Old thread maybe but a salesman is still hustlin for his comisson. When in business always had 2-3 Cads in my garage. When new models came out I was always invited to a preview...it's the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 11:02 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Call them back and tell them you decided not to purchase a car at this time and don't want any more phone calls.
It's business and nothing personal here.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:10 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
2015 post.

OP has probably moved on.

For current folks. Just get a cheap Tracfone. Use that phone number while shopping. And make up a fake name. And a toss away email address.

The only time they need your real name is when you pay for vehicle.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:23 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,402,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
2015 post.

OP has probably moved on.

For current folks. Just get a cheap Tracfone. Use that phone number while shopping. And make up a fake name. And a toss away email address.

The only time they need your real name is when you pay for vehicle.

The dealerships around here take your drivers license if you want a test ride. Some even ask for your insurance card. Are you suggesting you give them a fake license and insurance card, or that you give them the real ones but make up a fake name anyways?

Yeah, good idea!

Old 03-10-2021, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 1,342 times
Call him back and let him know you aren't in the market. They will call you till you buy or die.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Two yrs ago was checking out info about a certain make of Hybrid car...idea etc.
Was getting phone calls from different area codes.
Started checking them and discovered they were from states that I was comparing info and prices...never again.
Anyhoo found a nice low miles one owner from a local dealer at a low price.
In Jan rolled it so checked local dealers and found a 2nd newer reg model that was dealer owned and Used..handles like new...way to go.
Takes some research but worth the time.
Based on condition and usage I got top dllr from insurance co.
Insurance just called me as I am typing this to pick up my check.
Two wks ago bought a two yr newer that is sitting in my garage.
$500 difference in buying prices.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:51 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
I always ask for the same thing from them they are asking from me.

Want my home phone, give me yours, I like personalized service.
Want my home address, give me yours, I'd like to drive by and thank you every anniversary of my purchase.
Anything else you need can wait until I decided to purchase the vehicle.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:57 PM

12,396 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb_09 View Post
Why won't you tell them you are not interested anymore, and that you will contact them in case you will be. I did it once and surprisingly it worked ;-)
Sales people are not paid to give up easily, I've seen that in enterprise software sales people just as much as car sales people - once they see me as a prospect, they will keep contacting me until they get an answer. While sometimes I have gotten annoyed with their persistence when I try just ignoring them reaching out, when I have just explained to them in polite, but firm and clear terms that I wasn't interested, it's always stopped the emails and/or calls.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:02 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,251,556 times
Tell 'em you already bought one.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:23 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I went to a dealer last week to look at a car that was advertised. I sent their internet rep an email and she said they just received the car and it's in the shop as they get it ready. I go in the evening and the car is on the lot but it's a different color than what they advertised.

While I was there, I test drove a couple of cars but was not interested in either (one had too many miles and the other was the wrong color).

So now they apparently have the same color car that was advertised on their site. The salesperson has called me three days in a row and left a message.

First question, do dealers normally gather your personal info as soon as you hit the lot? When I arrived, the salesman couldn't wait to get me inside to get my name, number, address, etc. Unfortunately I didn't have my Google voice number memorized so I gave him my regular #. Next question, I changed my mind and want a different model vehicle so I am not interested in the vehicle he is calling about. Should I call him back or just let him keep leaving messages until he gets tired of it?
OP, have you forgotten that YOU are in control of YOU? You do not have to put up with this. Be firm and tell them to stop calling you. If that doesn’t work call the dealership manager and complain. Be forceful with these people it’s the only way to treat them.

It’s a little late, but anytime you go to a dealer and they come on super strong like they did with you, YOU must take control of the situation. Never allow them to call the shots and never, ever give them any personal information up front beyond your name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive