Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:09 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Yeah but surely they will attempt to convince me otherwise.

The main question is this: is this a normal practice for dealers to get your personal info right away? He wouldn't even show me any cars, saying that they need this info to do business.
Yes, the car dealers are like the Terminator. You walk onto the lot, they look you up and down and they see that computer screen in their brain like in the movie. It's like bleep bleep bleep, Sarah Connor, income $40K per year, address 1234 Happy Lane, Anytown, CA, 3 children, ex-husband who pays alimony, calculating potential car payment, beep beep beep $250/month, aim to sell car that costs $30K. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:20 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Yes, getting your info is pretty standard. I'd imagine it has to with most car salesmen are on commission so when you walk through the door the first one who comes up to you "gets you" so he wants your info to put it in the system so that if you don't buy from him today but you come back in a few days it'll be him working with you still so he can get his commission.

I've bought a few cars over the years and I've never not been asked for my info. Since I'm there with the intent of buying a car from them if the deal is right I don't mind giving my info.

If I get any calls after I've made a purchase I just explain I'm no longer in the market and to please remove me from future sales calls. It's the courteous thing to do so the salesperson doesn't have to keep calling and waiting their time.

I guess if you just want to look around and not speak with a dealer you could decline to give your info.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:01 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I don't ever give my phone number out unless I know I will be purchasing the car. For first contact/test drives, I give them my "spam" email address if I need them to contact me about anything.

I still have the local Mitsubishi and Acura dealerships emailing me years after I've sold the car or been in for service. And of course, when you go to unsubscribe, it doesn't work.

Best to not give places your actual contact info unless they've already earned your business. If they have a problem with that, walk.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:13 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I don't give a fake number because if I DO want them to have my number later how would I explain the fake one?
If I am really interested in buying I give them a temporary Virgin Mobile cell phone number that I can get hooked up for only $20 for one month.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:26 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
I wonder what would happen if one walked into a dealership and the vultures attacked and the victim....err...person said, "I am not giving you any info right now. I am here to look, and look only. When I'm at Best Buy looking at refrigerators, the salesman doesn't ask me for any info, he shows me fridges. So you best back up off me and show me some damn cars."

Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Tell the salesman to quit calling. If he doesn't call his manager.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
We are in the process of car hunting, but DON'T want to suffer from the hounding you describe above, and since we are really uncertain of the brand car we want to get (just know we want a crossover SUV size) we have decided to start our hunt at CarMax. Figure it is the only place we can look at, sit in and drive if interested, any BRAND we want without running all over town to hit up the Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, Honda dealerships and dealing with the sales staff there. We will narrow it down looking at CarMax and then go with the short list to check on what we want. I WOULD be willing to buy a low mileage car in great condition from CarMax, but they insist on that stupid "CarMax" black logo placement on the back of the car, on the paint job. I HATE that!!! Too bad, but if I am paying for the car, I should not be forced to provide free advertising for them.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:03 PM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Is it too difficult for you to answer the phone like a grownup and say I'm no longer interested, please stop contacting me.

I mean really? You needed to consult the Internet on how to get them to stop calling when you haven't even told them to stop calling.

Be an adult and tell them to leave you alone.
Is it too difficult for you to read the entire thread like a grownup and read the follow up comments?

I mean really? You need to insult somebody over the Internet to feel important?

Be an adult and apologize for your snarky remark.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I've bought a few cars over the years and I've never not been asked for my info. Since I'm there with the intent of buying a car from them if the deal is right I don't mind giving my info.
You hit the hammer on the nail....don't visit the dealer until you're sure they have the car you are looking for on their lot.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I don't ever give my phone number out unless I know I will be purchasing the car. For first contact/test drives, I give them my "spam" email address if I need them to contact me about anything.

I still have the local Mitsubishi and Acura dealerships emailing me years after I've sold the car or been in for service. And of course, when you go to unsubscribe, it doesn't work.

Best to not give places your actual contact info unless they've already earned your business. If they have a problem with that, walk.

Don't they ask for a copy of your license before you test drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive