Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 11:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All I can say about car dealerships is they are out to making extra $$ rather than just give you what you need.

They love women buyers almost all women that go to dealerships by themselves come out buying a car and a package more than they would ever needed and carry tons of debts for things they don't ever use.
That's a vast generalization......maybe years and years ago there was something to it but as I note above, I sold cars also. Women were the first to walk if they felt you were being condescending. Men would take it as a challenge sometimes but women would just walk.

I sold cars a couple times because I took the time to help them learn a standard shift. For whatever reason that is what they wanted and they were dismissed elsewhere. I grabbed the keys and told them "let's go". I drove off showing them the basics (luckily the one lady had some experience) and then to a parking lot and let them have a go. It wasn't long before they had it down. I ended up over the years selling the one woman 3 cars and while it's been years since I sold cars I still see her on occasions and say hi.

Quote:
I predict in another decade most people buy their cars online like many already and another % don't drive just use car sharing services. Cars are just too expensive today and I believe they are cheaper to make than before due to part sharing and automation. They're only charging a lot to pay union pensions and big exec salaries.

Soon Chinese made cars will cost below $10k that rivals cars that cost $25k.
The future will bring changes but I wouldn't hold out for 10k cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 11:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All I can say about car dealerships is they are out to making extra $$ rather than just give you what you need.
I've no problem with this. They're a business and they're out to sell you what you need and convince you to buy the things you think you need. Their shady and convoluted processes is what I have issues with.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I've no problem with this. They're a business and they're out to sell you what you need and convince you to buy the things you think you need. Their shady and convoluted processes is what I have issues with.
I walk to a dealer and wanted a specific model and trim usually popular enough they can't meet demand then they would steer you to a late year model or a side model they can't get rid of. Most salesman sees that if they can't sway you then they rather not waste their time then you can't find anybody to help you while they work their sway on less informative buyers.

I should've known not to let my mom pick a car by herself and she ended up with more car than she needed and never negotiated the price down either. My fault, I've always accompanied her for future car purchases.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Not to cast aspersions on the OP, but I used to sell at one of the very top Lexus dealerships in the country in a very large metro area. No one was moving 20-30 cars a month, and the highest-paid salesman was in the $180,000 - $215,000 range and he worked all day, every day. A lot of what OP is saying is correct, but some things don't sound right.

Also, never once in all of the dealerships I worked at did anyone ever say "pencil over tissue."
So...for you, and the OP......

I do my homework and determine the exact make, model, color, engine, and accoutrements which I want in a vehicle.

I call you up and tell you exactly the vehicle I want. I don't care if you have it on the lot, trade another dealer for it, or have it built.

I am prepared to pay you your invoice cost. No haggling. No wasting of anyone's time. You keep the holdback, floorplan, or any other cash the manufacturer is offering. I want to see the dealer invoice and will pay it.

Will I buy a car?

Old 09-28-2015, 11:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
If we can get rid of all car salesman and real estate agents I'm sure most people would be ok with that

Old 09-28-2015, 12:01 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
So...for you, and the OP......

I do my homework and determine the exact make, model, color, engine, and accoutrements which I want in a vehicle.

I call you up and tell you exactly the vehicle I want. I don't care if you have it on the lot, trade another dealer for it, or have it built.

I am prepared to pay you your invoice cost. No haggling. No wasting of anyone's time. You keep the holdback, floorplan, or any other cash the manufacturer is offering. I want to see the dealer invoice and will pay it.

Will I buy a car?
Depends on the dealership. At the domestic dealership I worked at, sure. The salesmen there negotiated the price, and I would have taken that deal all day long. That's an easy deal - something like that I would have looked at as a quick and easy stepping stone to bonus territory.

At the Lexus dealership? No. They would let people walk before going down to invoice price usually. That was a while ago, though, and these days they may.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:08 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Quote:
Depends on the dealership. At the domestic dealership I worked at, sure. The salesmen there negotiated the price, and I would have taken that deal all day long. That's an easy deal - something like that I would have looked at as a quick and easy stepping stone to bonus territory.
TY. I Have used that formula several times and everyone seems satisfied. But my current vehicle is seven years od, and times may have changed.

I just hate all the BS stuff. Here's the car; here's the price; let's not waste each others time. Deal or no deal? No personal feelings one way or the other.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:11 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,399 times
Is it really like the This American Life episode entitled 144 Cars or something like that? i think it profiled a dealership in NJ

Old 09-28-2015, 12:16 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Is it really like the This American Life episode entitled 144 Cars or something like that? i think it profiled a dealership in NJ
Great episode, I have listened to it more thane once for sure!

Old 09-28-2015, 12:21 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:

At the Lexus dealership? No. They would let people walk before going down to invoice price usually. That was a while ago, though, and these days they may.
Depends on the city. Even major cities only have one or two Lexus dealerships (Denver only has Kuni and Stevenson)

Where as your Toyota/Honda/Ford will have 6-10 dealerships. Enough for you to price them against one another.

LA metro is one of the exceptions. I here there are Lexus dealers on every block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive