Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
go ahead
How is the 160k and the nazistic boss? Have you made up ur mind whether to work here or move elsewhere? On a serious note, how to get a job in a car dealership? What degree is required? I am an IT labourer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Um, that's not why car dealers are detested. They're detested for shady business practices.
Car salesmen are detested for not adding any value to the sales transaction.
I would go to a customers business and pick their car up for servicing. I'd help arrange a loaner when needed. I helped a customer get an engine out of VW after her car was out of warranty.

A past customer knew they could trust I wouldn't sell them a used car I wouldn't buy for myself. As I noted earlier, I taught two people how to drive a standard.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 PM

837 posts, read 753,900 times
So I'm having the biggest month I've ever had this month - 25 cars already and 43,000 in gross profit generated. I'm going to end up making 20K with bonuses in my pocket....just unbelievable. All this and my customer service surveys are fantastic.

I wonder if I have a future as a car sales trainer? Could I help teach people how to make money the way I do?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:13 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Don't have a lot of use for Car Salesmen. Worked in Dealerships for 35 years as Parts and Service Director, and had to deal with them every day. Not all, but most would promise the Customer anything, including things they couldn't deliver if they had to. They also liked to Brag about how much profit they made, which came out of the Customers pocket. I always liked the ones who would "Make you a Great Deal" and if the Customer said he would "Think About It" they would call him the next day and said they "Talked" to their Boss, and convinced him to give you a better deal. In other words, he didn't give you the "Best" deal, and hoped you would "bite." There are a few good ones, but most are Snake Oil Salesmen.

And if a Salesman "Helps" you get "Warranty" to pay for a repair on a Car that's out of Warranty, he really means that he goes to the Service Director or Manager. They are the only ones who can authorize that. Even the owner of the Dealership can't, unless he is going to pay it out of his pocket.

Its not always the Salesman's fault, that they have such a bad reputation, but a lot of it is the Dealership. They want people that can sell a Refrigerator to an Eskimo. They want you in a Car they need to move, and not the Car you need to have. Some Dealerships also like to hire young people that will sell Cars to all their friends and families, and then they boot them out when they run out of customers.

The good honest Salesmen, if you can find one, do quite well and have a following of a couple of Generations of devoted Customers, and do very well, but that's far and few between.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Ok
WHY do the sales people immediately come up to your car. I had one guy who literally about opened my four before I got to shut off my truck

Why do you guys need to go back to the manager for a price.

Why do you guys feel the need to scribble all over the 4 square making a mess? Well I know that one. Because it's easy to muddle the numbers when they are all over the place.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You say this as if you speak for the majority of the car buying public. There are lots of people who need help being guided through the buying process. Furniture, cars, homes, electronics - not every body knows exactly what they want before they see it in person. Nor are they aware of all the incentives or buying options they have.

If you want to skip the salesman and come in with your offer and go straight to the sales manager with cash, go right ahead.
Nope ... sales manager would point you to a salesman first.
Btw, I asked OP in this very thread what value he brings (twice) and never got a straight answer.

The Economist -- Death of the car salesman

According to this Accenture survey in April of this year, only 4% of US car buyers simply go to the dealer and trust the [car salesman] advice:
https://www.accenture.com/us-en/auto...tomer-usa.aspx

Last edited by jaypee; 09-28-2015 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 10:11 PM

739 posts, read 843,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Nope ... sales manager would point you to a salesman first.
Btw, I asked OP in this very thread what value he brings (twice) and never got a straight answer.
He didn't answer my question on what they do with the copies of driver's licenses after the customers leave. Do they make fake ID's out of them?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:35 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
The manufacturers make a gigantic profit. We then try to make a 5-10% profit on the cars and are labeled as the devil for actually trying to make a living

Like I said, any other business similar to ours is selling everything with a 10-25+% minimum markup
You did it to yourself. If you would clearly show exactly what the cost of the car is, a reasonable rate of return, and have a transparent and informational attitude, you would not have created an adversarial relationship with all who enter.

You guys are always playing games and hustling and upselling garbage undercoats and $149 floor mats and what not, and hiding rebates and "not discussing the holdback" over even admitting it exists, and ripping off buyers on trade-ins and doing the "good cop" "bad cop" routine with the sales manager, and charging $500 for "doc" fees, and sicking your barracuda F&I thug on innocent buyers and concealing and hiding fees, and making "clerical errors" that result in money for the dealership, and selling customers on the "monthly payment" rather than the price of the vehicle, and adding the cost of advertising to the price of the car.

You guys have more tricks than Linda Lovelace, and you come across as a bunch of overdressed, mental midgets working your script and doing everything you can to hustle every last buck out of the unsuspecting buyer, and doing it dishonestly, deceptively, and disgracefully.

When I buy a car, I have to prepare for war and re-learn all your silly tricks, including the new ones, in order that I don't get ripped off blind.

So I don't feel sorry for you at all. You did it to yourself. Your industry has the reputation it deserves. It's perfect justice.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:41 PM

739 posts, read 843,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You did it to yourself. If you would clearly show exactly what the cost of the car is, a reasonable rate of return, and have a transparent and informational attitude, you would not have created an adversarial relationship with all who enter.

You guys are always playing games and hustling and upselling garbage undercoats and $149 floor mats and what not, and hiding rebates and "not discussing the holdback" over even admitting it exists, and ripping off buyers on trade-ins and doing the "good cop" "bad cop" routine with the sales manager, and charging $500 for "doc" fees, and sicking your barracuda F&I thug on innocent buyers and concealing and hiding fees, and making "clerical errors" that result in money for the dealership, and selling customers on the "monthly payment" rather than the price of the vehicle, and adding the cost of advertising to the price of the car.

You guys have more tricks than Linda Lovelace, and you come across as a bunch of overdressed, mental midgets working your script and doing everything you can to hustle every last buck out of the unsuspecting buyer, and doing it dishonestly, deceptively, and disgracefully.

When I buy a car, I have to prepare for war and re-learn all your silly tricks, including the new ones, in order that I don't get ripped off blind.

So I don't feel sorry for you at all. You did it to yourself. Your industry has the reputation it deserves. It's perfect justice.
It's a good thing the real estate industry isn't like that. Sorry I couldn't resist after seeing you are a real estate agent. So why do car salesmen tend to be more shady than realtors?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
It's a good thing the real estate industry isn't like that. Sorry I couldn't resist after seeing you are a real estate agent. So why do car salesmen tend to be more shady than realtors?
Maybe he never heard the one about the pot and the kettle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive