Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 08:31 PM

837 posts, read 753,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
It's all about letting your customer tell you what they want. They do that with more than words.

It is true

I close at a huge rate because I pay very close attention to what the customers are saying both directly and indirectly through their body language

Man all these horror stories are making me appreciate how awesome I am at my job . I close everybody who is even mildly realistic about the numbers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
Customers make this process to be cumbersome

The customers who come in and pay MSRP get in and out in about an hour and 15 minutes when they work with me. The 4 and 5 hour long deals are because customers wanna play games or they can't decide between the 5 cars they're looking at
I purchased a new car last year. That playing games you talk about, is to keep the dealer from completely f#@&#$ you over. I've bought probably 8 or so new vehicles over the last 35 years. I dont mind playing the game when it saves me thousands. Or I move on to another dealership until I get the deal I want. I make them sell me the car at the price I want to pay, not the other way around!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I make them sell me the car at the price where the dealer makes zero profit

I fixed your post to what you were trying to convey

no worries though, I would close you in a heartbeat too. I don't fight the mooches, I give them the price they want so I can move on and find a customer willing to pay profit. The more time I spend battling you, the less time I have to take customers who will help me get paid.

Your idea of completely f*cking someone over is selling a car about at about a 10% markup. Anything else you buy anywhere else is generally marked up between 20 to 200% but yea those dealers sure are screwing you over.

The problem is the super mooches who want a price that doesn't even exist. If it's just about honoring another dealer's price or true car or whatever, I make that happen very quickly

Old 09-29-2015, 09:17 PM

325 posts, read 255,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I purchased a new car last year. That playing games you talk about, is to keep the dealer from completely f#@&#$ you over. I've bought probably 8 or so new vehicles over the last 35 years. I dont mind playing the game when it saves me thousands. Or I move on to another dealership until I get the deal I want. I make them sell me the car at the price I want to pay, not the other way around!
There you go, perfect example. The Guy Who Has To Win. If you can read him in the first 10 seconds, he's a guaranteed sale. This is the guy you take the mini on just to be top salesman. The spliff will offset the tiny commission. He'll get an awesome deal, you'll get reputation.
And you will lose him instantly if you try to "play him".
The best sales people realize this and pass it on. The sales manager will come out and say things like, "you're killing me", and "let me make something here, will you?", and in the end the deal will work for everyone.
This is also the most common type of customer, I would think.
Some are just better at it than others. The one who can write a check will be tougher than the one who has an 800 CS but little cash, and the guy with the 650 CS will pay on the back end.
The talent lies in really listening and understanding as you ask the standard questions. I'd make a great car salesman if I wasn't so ugly and antisocial.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Car salesman, what value do you provide for customers?
He sells people cars. Car manufacturers are not set up to handle retail sales to the public; therefore, car salesman and car dealerships are necessary.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
There you go, perfect example. The Guy Who Has To Win. If you can read him in the first 10 seconds, he's a guaranteed sale. This is the guy you take the mini on just to be top salesman. The spliff will offset the tiny commission. He'll get an awesome deal, you'll get reputation.
And you will lose him instantly if you try to "play him".
The best sales people realize this and pass it on. The sales manager will come out and say things like, "you're killing me", and "let me make something here, will you?", and in the end the deal will work for everyone.[/
This is also the most common type of customer, I would think.
Some are just better at it than others. The one who can write a check will be tougher than the one who has an 800 CS but little cash, and the guy with the 650 CS will pay on the back end.
The talent lies in really listening and understanding as you ask the standard questions. I'd make a great car salesman if I wasn't so ugly and antisocial.

the art of selling cars is pretty interesting. If you can make people feel REALLY comfortable around you and open up more and more, you will generally dominate. This is the biggest part of closing a deal - you have to get customers to like you

Beyond that, you have to be able to recognize what you have - I don't spend any time with mooches, I try to get to the point ASAP so I can get them in and out. The customers who I can tell I can make profit on, I try to spend a lot more time with so I can maximize the sale

The most baffling part of the business for outsiders is that generally speaking, the higher the gross profit on the deal, the happier the customers are. All my big deals, the customer is happy as a pig in sh*t

Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 PM

65 posts, read 133,872 times
So what do you do when you AND another salesman had dealings with the same customer? Who gets the commission?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman45 View Post
So what do you do when you AND another salesman had dealings with the same customer? Who gets the commission?

half and half generally speaking. I try not to get involved with that nonsense. I hate be-backs

be-backs do a lot of research and pay very little profit

Old 09-29-2015, 10:08 PM

65 posts, read 133,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
half and half generally speaking. I try not to get involved with that nonsense. I hate be-backs

be-backs do a lot of research and pay very little profit

LOL that's me

So I was dealing with one guy over the Internet on and off for a couple months. We exchange a half dozen emails and he answered my questions and offered to bring me the car. I wasn't ready to buy and didn't want to feel obligated. Went to the dealership a couple weeks later and dealt with a different guy, couldn't remember the other guy's name and didn't have phone with me. So I'm thinking of making an offer, who should I contact? The guy that knows my name but doesn't know my face....or the guy that knows what I look like but doesn't know my name?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman45 View Post
LOL that's me

So I was dealing with one guy over the Internet on and off for a couple months. We exchange a half dozen emails and he answered my questions and offered to bring me the car. I wasn't ready to buy and didn't want to feel obligated. Went to the dealership a couple weeks later and dealt with a different guy, couldn't remember the other guy's name and didn't have phone with me. So I'm thinking of making an offer, who should I contact? The guy that knows my name but doesn't know my face....or the guy that knows what I look like but doesn't know my name?

our store has an internet department. You could spend 8 months talking to the internet rep and come in the store and spend 2 hours with me - I get all the commission, the internet rep gets like 20 bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive