Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:43 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,554,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
(I know the other poster claimed this was "common" but I would disagree with that given the parts sales on that particular part.)
Common was perhaps a bad word to use. It's a "known issue to occur" is how i'd phrase it.

But you are right, there are other unique failures that happen that aren't common, but are somewhat spendy to fix and the average shade-tree mechanic doesn't have the time/knowledge to do it in their garage.

The GM 3.6L Timing chain tensioners is another expensive fix that's been "known to occur"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And why do people care it’s not effecting their life so why do people care what others do with their finances, it none of our business is it.
It does affect the economy as a whole, sure consumerism drives our economy if it is healthy consumption. When you have ballooning credit card debts and predatory car lending practices similar to the housing market decades ago then the economy can take a hit from creditors going belly up.

There's already signs of credit market sounding alarms that defaults going up for the car lending market. Too many people have negative equity on cars today. You don't take out a 48-80 month loan if you can't really afford 1/2 the car outright. A lot of folks realize their credit was already bad, pick up a car with a 80 month loan at $250/month works for them. They drive it for 2 years and then stop paying for it because they realize they still owe 100% of the invoice price. They've been paying 2 years 100% interest on installment loans.

The defaults on car loans will pile up and it can get worse if there's a recession.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:19 AM

120 posts, read 65,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Why do you care?
Because we all pay when some idiot is allowed to use the system as their piggy bank.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,435,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It does affect the economy as a whole, sure consumerism drives our economy if it is healthy consumption. When you have ballooning credit card debts and predatory car lending practices similar to the housing market decades ago then the economy can take a hit from creditors going belly up.

There's already signs of credit market sounding alarms that defaults going up for the car lending market. Too many people have negative equity on cars today. You don't take out a 48-80 month loan if you can't really afford 1/2 the car outright. A lot of folks realize their credit was already bad, pick up a car with a 80 month loan at $250/month works for them. They drive it for 2 years and then stop paying for it because they realize they still owe 100% of the invoice price. They've been paying 2 years 100% interest on installment loans.

The defaults on car loans will pile up and it can get worse if there's a recession.
Still it’s not our business what people buy and drive because there’s nothing anyone can do to change the way things are. If you want to give yourself a ulcer go ahead I’m not going to worry about stuff that’s out of my control. So i don’t care what people buy with their money it’s none of our business. Worry about your own life and stay out of others that you have no business to be in. And if there’s another recession who’s the blame the guy buying that luxury vehicle or the financing company that gives them the loan to buy that luxury vehicle, if you want to be nosy than stick your nose into these financing companies instead of dwelling on the average person buying things. These companies are the ones to blame for giving credit to people who should not have it, just like the housing collapse when the big banks were giving mortgages to anyone even if they could not afford it.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:47 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,149,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I'm calling BS on that. Post a copy of the repair order where we can see it.

There must have been some other work done or you don't know the whole story. A water pump on any EcoBoost motor doesn't cost that much to replace.

I just checked on a 2.0L EcoBoost in a Fusion and it should be around $700 parts & labor.

The 3.5L FWD applications require the engine to be removed for the water pump to be replaced since it is on the timing chain. My friend just did this on her Taurus for $2200. This applies to any Ford 3.5 or 3.7L FWD application (Taurus, Explorer, Edge, Flex, MKZ, MKS, Fusion Sport) and the water pump. When the pump fails, you are lucky to spend $1500-2000 on that vs the other scenarios when the pump fails and leaks into the engine and destroys the motor and you are on the hook for $5-8000K for a new engine.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:23 AM

13,665 posts, read 9,738,979 times
It's a nuanced topic. As several people have posted, a used example of a luxury car may indeed be in fine condition, but have been bought for a 30% or 20% (or less) of its original sticker-price. A fancy car need not necessarily be extravagant. But at some point it was. Somebody had to be the original buyer.

On a side note, there seems to be particularly widespread scorn towards sports cars. Luxury sedans or pick-ups are OK... they're a "lifestyle decision". But many of the very same people who'd shout "none of your business" in response to condemnation of a $90K pick-up, would be scornful of someone who arrives in a $90K 2-seater sports car. Odd, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
... This self deluded denial of their own mistakes leads them to demand that the government take care of them. ...
And worse yet, those people who do save and invest, will find themselves taxed on the proceeds of their investment. In effect, "the system" is encouraging spending and discouraging thrift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
... So i could care less what other people buy with their money and others should do the same. The way people spend their money is not your concern, is just being a nosy person just worry about your own finances....
The specific choices of my neighbors, my neighbors' neighbors and so forth, are indeed none of my business. But the choices made by us as a society, instantiated 100 million times or more, aggregate into a serious concern. That a few people - or even a large number of people - happen to have expensive tastes in cars, is again no particular tragedy or source of bystander grievance. But if we, as consumers, find ourselves systematically out of balance, and reach retirement-age ill-prepared as a consequence of a lifetime of injudicious choices, there's going to be collective diminution of wealth. That's the concern.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:35 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,267,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
But if we, as consumers, find ourselves systematically out of balance, and reach retirement-age ill-prepared as a consequence of a lifetime of injudicious choices, there's going to be collective diminution of wealth. That's the concern.
Then again, if no one bought then there wouldn't be any jobs to retire from.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,773,800 times
Personally I LIKE to see my fellow Middle Class Americans waste money on stupid ****. That's what our economy runs on... and it makes life that much easier for a cheap bastard like myself.

And while I may chuckle at my peers' lack of financial sense... in the grand scheme of things, who cares? Hand-wringing over "personal responsibility" rings pretty hollow when we spent $Trillions$ to bail out banks and billionaires in 2009 while thousands of Americans were losing their homes. And we just handed our precious billionaires another Trillion in tax cuts while the national debt is at a record high.

If the wealthiest and most privileged among us show no personal responsibility... then I don't see why I'd hold my neighbors to a higher standard. Take care of you and yours... the rest of the world can go to hell.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,435,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's a nuanced topic. As several people have posted, a used example of a luxury car may indeed be in fine condition, but have been bought for a 30% or 20% (or less) of its original sticker-price. A fancy car need not necessarily be extravagant. But at some point it was. Somebody had to be the original buyer.

On a side note, there seems to be particularly widespread scorn towards sports cars. Luxury sedans or pick-ups are OK... they're a "lifestyle decision". But many of the very same people who'd shout "none of your business" in response to condemnation of a $90K pick-up, would be scornful of someone who arrives in a $90K 2-seater sports car. Odd, isn't it?

And worse yet, those people who do save and invest, will find themselves taxed on the proceeds of their investment. In effect, "the system" is encouraging spending and discouraging thrift.

The specific choices of my neighbors, my neighbors' neighbors and so forth, are indeed none of my business. But the choices made by us as a society, instantiated 100 million times or more, aggregate into a serious concern. That a few people - or even a large number of people - happen to have expensive tastes in cars, is again no particular tragedy or source of bystander grievance. But if we, as consumers, find ourselves systematically out of balance, and reach retirement-age ill-prepared as a consequence of a lifetime of injudicious choices, there's going to be collective diminution of wealth. That's the concern.
Nothing will change its human nature to always want the best of things regardless if you can afford it or not it’s call a capitalism. People have Ben doing this forever and will keep on doing it. You think a recession is anything new I’ve been through 2 of them and the cycle just keeps repeating itself.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,182,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You guys should see the collection of Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Aston Martin, etcetera, outside the Costco here. Not because people are over extended. But because this is a rich area.

There was a Maybach at the Whole Foods.
I saw a Bentley at Big Lots not too long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive