Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 09:39 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I have eliminated buying the LS460, the Q70 and the new Genesis because of the mandatory sunroof. I hate sunroofs.
When I custom ordered my Q7 one could delete the sunroof at no additional charge. Do a custom order instead of buying off the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 04:28 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I cannot stand the high belt lines of new cars. Look at the rear windows on most new cars. They are like armored car gun ports. I guess they do this to make it look more sporty, but also increase the crash safety. It makes the car less safe to me because it decreases visibility.
Read a auricle on this lately, you are right on the sporty aspect which is a styling thing most cars are using. Also the belt line goes from low in the front to higher in the back for better aerodynamics (os the article says). Side crash safety was also noted.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Passenger Airbag OFF lights. Seriously, WTF do I need to know this for? I drive with the stupid amber "Passenger Airbag OFF" light illuminated 99% of the time that I drive. Why do I need a goddamned amber light blaring from the instrument panel (or rear view mirror, on one car) announcing something I already know, which is, that the passenger seat is not occupied by anything heavy enough to turn the passenger airbag on?

And why does it require a light to tell me that it's OFF? And why is it a freakin' amber light like something is wrong?!

Old 11-21-2015, 09:14 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Why would anyone hate new cars?

I'd buy one every week if I could afford it.
If I won a big lotto jackpot, I really can't think of a new car I would want. However, I can right away think of 20+ classic cars I would want.

I don't hate new cars; they just don't appeal to me much. I would buy a big, 19-foot-long Cadillac, but those are not made anymore.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:23 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Passenger Airbag OFF lights. Seriously, WTF do I need to know this for? I drive with the stupid amber "Passenger Airbag OFF" light illuminated 99% of the time that I drive. Why do I need a goddamned amber light blaring from the instrument panel (or rear view mirror, on one car) announcing something I already know, which is, that the passenger seat is not occupied by anything heavy enough to turn the passenger airbag on?

And why does it require a light to tell me that it's OFF? And why is it a freakin' amber light like something is wrong?!
I want to know because an air bag can seriously hurt my kid or my tiny old mother.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I want to know because an air bag can seriously hurt my kid or my tiny old mother.

This is one of the reasons many states have age requirements for children to be able sit in the front seat. My oldest is 10 and he is not allowed to sit in the front seat as it is much safer for kids to be in the back seat incase of an accident.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:18 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I probably didn't make it clear it's not the informational content that bothers me, but the CONSTANT ILLUMINATION of the light in one car, that drives me up a wall.

On one car, if I put a heavy backpack on the passenger seat, THEN the light comes on. This happens to be where I like to put my backpack, so the light comes on a lot. I can deal with that, though, because I can move my pack to the floor and the light will go off. Otherwise the light is off all the time (it just flashes when the car is started).

However, on one of my other cars, the light is ON ALL THE TIME. And this is what irritates the hell out of me. This is the worst scenario of all, because no other vehicle safety system announces its default status with an amber warning lamp (at eye level, no less) that is illuminated at all times.

We're trained as drivers (or pretty much operators of any complex equipment, be it an aircraft, boat, front end loader, or whatever) that an automated system in its default configuration does not produce an amber warning on the dashboard at all times. For example: The ABS, anti-skid, SRS, and pretty much every other system that configures itself, only produce a temporary or constant amber illumination when something changes or requires input or repair. So having an amber warning always illuminated when everything is working properly and configured automatically, is not only counterintuitive, it defeats the whole hierarchy of second-nature actions that we're supposed to take based on what shows up on a vehicle display.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:25 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Must be car dependent. On the cars I own and have driven the light is very dull and off to the side that it isn't even noticeable.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Key fobs. Hundreds of bucks to replace these programmable things? I'll take an easy (and cheap)-to-duplicate, old-fashioned car key for which I can carry any number of spares any day.

What a racket.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
As a person who really hates new cars and drives old ones, I have a list of why I hate new cars. What's your list like?
the car payment.

love everything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive