Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:18 PM

17,367 posts, read 12,325,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Up here in the cold northern winters, how I WISH I had a heated steering wheel. My fingers freeze even with gloves on for the first 10 minutes of driving.

The car starter helps warm the interior, but doesn't warm the steering wheel.
Can get one of these in the meantime heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 09:26 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,912,280 times
Gas engine
Comfortable seat - I am 6'1"
I prefer manual trans
The tech junk doesn't appeal to me as I don't care for a radio most of the time.
Bring back RWD in cars; FWD is boring as hell.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,566,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Can get one of these in the meantime heh.
I'm not sure about the fuzzy kind like the photo, but have you ever try to get one of those steering wheel covers on? It's a feat in itself lol Also, you can't even get a good grip on the wheel because they end up so wide for the fingers/hands.

I've thought about wrapping mine with a strip of neoprene with velcro tabs to hold it in place

Old 12-09-2015, 05:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
Seriously. I learned to drive in a '47 Studebaker, so I am going to interpret this question to mean features that have been introduced since then. Like electric starter is nice, but my Stude had that, I didn't have to hand crank it. I think by then all cars had directional flashers, you didn't have to put your arm out the window to signal a turn. So really, if I had to drive that car all the time, I'd be just fine. It had every feature I'd want.

Radial tires are a lot nicer than bias ply, but that's not the car, it's a different technology. At least, there was a spare, though.

There is no "feature" of a modern car that I'd miss driving a '47. Cars nowadays last about five times as long, but that's just workmanship tolerances and modern materials and metallurgy, not unique to the auto industry.

No navigation aids needed, you could buy a dashboard compass, and get a free map at a gas station. No freeways, so you could ask a bystander for directions. Radio was AM only, but there were no FM stations then. Not even casettes -- tape was reel to reel. You learn to park by yourself, and show the license examiner. My mother got her license in 1923, so learning to drive a pre-modern car was not really all that difficult, even for a teen-aged girl.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,105,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No navigation aids needed, you could buy a dashboard compass, and get a free map at a gas station.

Nav is so much better than printed maps, where towns were just small circles on the map, and intersections and smaller roads were not well marked. AND unfolding and reading a map while driving is bad, whether it's held up in front of you or sitting on the seat next to you while you glance at it and try to figure out which way you are going in a town or city.

Quote:
No freeways, so you could ask a bystander for directions.

Oh, yea, local directions. Like "go about a half mile up past Fred's farm and turn left at the spot where the old barn used to be. Then go another couple of miles and take a right at the old mill road (it's the one after the spot bubba crashed last year). Say, you're not from around here, are you?"

Old 12-09-2015, 07:17 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,750,571 times
Reasonably high fuel efficiency, reasonably good pickup and comfort. I bought a Renault Clio with small, de-tuned engine of Renault Formula 1 origin. A lot of the standard options are confusing and after 6 months, I still don't know how to use them. It gets around 20-22 km/l on road trips around Europe, about 15 km/l in Copenhagen traffic.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:21 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,251,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
If I may throw my 2 cents in: When I rent a car and it doesn't have a backup camera, I literally cannot remember how to back up. I know that sounds idiotic. But when you have that camera it becomes a crutch.
That would be great for me, too. I'm terrible at backing up... my two driving incidents where I've collided with something (future BIL's Oldsmobile, and a parked golf cart with metal rods in the back) both happened when I was backing up at night and mis-judged how much room I had behind me! Lol.

I also have a slight fear of backing into parking spaces...

Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,780,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
That would be great for me, too. I'm terrible at backing up... my two driving incidents where I've collided with something (future BIL's Oldsmobile, and a parked golf cart with metal rods in the back) both happened when I was backing up at night and mis-judged how much room I had behind me! Lol.

I also have a slight fear of backing into parking spaces...

Only one way to get better at it...practice I used to suck at backing a trailer up and now its second nature. If I had given up and purchased the trailer assist option to aid me in backing up a trailer I would never learn how to do it. What if I then needed to do it in a truck that did not have this option? You need to at least master something before taking the shortcut.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:53 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,221,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Only one way to get better at it...practice I used to suck at backing a trailer up and now its second nature. If I had given up and purchased the trailer assist option to aid me in backing up a trailer I would never learn how to do it. What if I then needed to do it in a truck that did not have this option? You need to at least master something before taking the shortcut.
Sorry, but nothing has ever enabled me to learn to back up a trailer ... and I've been practicing for decades, since I used to try to back up my dad's boat trailer. I can't even backup my cart or lawn sweeper attached to my garden tractor!

My must-haves in a vehicle:
  • automatic transmission - too old to be driving a manual any more
  • awd - I live in hilly snow country and I've never met a back road I didn't want to explore
  • heated seats - heavenly
  • remote start - did I mention that I live in cold, hilly snow country?
  • remote mirrors - since I actually use my mirrors, they need to be adjusted correctly
  • Subaru on the nameplate - takes care of all the safety and reliability issues.
My next Subi will have "Eye Sight", the Subaru crash avoidance system. This area is infested with bambis that like to play in the road, especially the interstate, at night. I've had them on my back patio, and I live in an ordinary residential neighborhood inside the city limits.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Nav is so much better than printed maps, where towns were just small circles on the map, and intersections and smaller roads were not well marked. AND unfolding and reading a map while driving is bad, whether it's held up in front of you or sitting on the seat next to you while you glance at it and try to figure out which way you are going in a town or city.

I have never used an in-car navigation system, and have so far found my way to every destination. So, to answer the OP's question, that is not among my must-have features. There are times when it might be useful, but it can be a hand-held device, not built into the car, and portable for use on foot or in a rental car. A flashlight can also be useful, but it doesn't have to be a factory-installed accessory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive