Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,824,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Definitely NOT my 'mother in law'.

Ejector seat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:34 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,885,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
People also did without indoor plumbing and medicine. Doesn't mean that the old way was better. There's a reason that GPS was invented and why it's taken over from paper maps. It's simply VASTLY better for people who actually want to get somewhere specific.

You'll get no argument from me there. GPS is easier. Your note made it sound super hard, and asked how it could be done. I pointed out it's not especially difficult.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
People also made fire before we had matches and lighters. It doesn't mean that normal, sane people want to go back to rubbing two sticks together simply because that worked back then.
I sometimes prefer a map, sometimes GPS. GPS is great for turn by turn instructions. Can really suck if, for instance, the road is closed or you want to take an uncommon route. The map works better for me for visualizing the big picture.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:51 PM

17,367 posts, read 12,321,062 times
Most GPS systems display a map too with the addition of a helpful "you are here" marker. Don't have to operate it in turn by turn mode.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Most GPS systems display a map too with the addition of a helpful "you are here" marker. Don't have to operate it in turn by turn mode.
As does mine. I still prefer a large map for seeing the big picture.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:10 PM

8,120 posts, read 7,499,491 times
Since driving a 2014 Ford Focus for the last 2 years, my "must have" is a transmission that works. Not a herky-jerky "robotic clutch" pseudo-automatic that feels like I'm riding along with a 17 year old girl who's just learning how to drive with a clutch.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,728,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'm confused, is that your workplace or your mode of transportation to work.
Good point. For a work must have:

4wd
V-8 engine
Transfer case
GMS and CB radio
GPS
120v outlets in console, with HD alternator
Min. 6-ply tires
Winch
Electric brake controller
Cat. IV receiver hitch
Gooseneck ball
Second transmission cooler
Lift gate
Air lifts
8' bed
AC/heater

Old 12-09-2015, 03:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Do you drive around with the map up in front of you or do you look down at the seat next to you to follow them?. . . . If you were in Tillamook here and had to get to a specific address in Beaverton, how would you do it with this map?
You look at the map before you get to Tillamook, and see what numbered highway goes to Beaverton. Then you follow the highway into Tillamook, watching for the signpost that tells you where to turn for the highway that will take you to Beaverton. You don't keep the map on your lap, because you are capable of memorizing "Route 6 east" and you are paying enough attention that you will see the sign and remember to turn there. Once you are on route 6, you pull over at some nice spot along the way, and refresh your memory where the next turn will be.

I realize this is very challenging, but with practice and a lot of concentration, most people can master it.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:38 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,752,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You look at the map before you get to Tillamook, and see what numbered highway goes to Beaverton. Then you follow the highway into Tillamook, watching for the signpost that tells you where to turn for the highway that will take you to Beaverton. You don't keep the map on your lap, because you are capable of memorizing "Route 6 east" and you are paying enough attention that you will see the sign and remember to turn there. Once you are on route 6, you pull over at some nice spot along the way, and refresh your memory where the next turn will be.

I realize this is very challenging, but with practice and a lot of concentration, most people can master it.
Or just use your GPS. Why make it harder on yourself. One probably doesn't need GPS to get to any major city in US. But trying to find exact location is a different story. Those road signs won't help you find 1456 Park Dr, Anytown, USA (and not St or Ave, but Dr)

Old 12-09-2015, 03:42 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,787,171 times
For me, a must have is a manual transmission. Call me old fashioned, but I find them much better than clunky automatics that don't know when to shift and the new ones are constantly upshifting to get the best fuel economy which is great if you like lugging your engine and maintaining a speed of 20 miles per hour. Another thing about sticks, is I don't have to ride my brake when the person in front of me is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive