Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:54 PM

181 posts, read 168,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wait, you are a dude driving a Miata and critical of guys driving trucks?
Not sure I said all ppl who drive trucks don't need them. Let me look. Nope.
But there's a lot of retarded stuff going on out there, not limited to males though.
I traded the miata in. It's too boring & unlike trucks has zero utility ouside of ...
Still thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Yep they're still available and fairly reasonable. If you can find a previous year model on the lot you can often times get a $2-4k discount off the price as well to move the inventory.

The going rate in my area for a single cab full size truck is as follows:

2016 F150 XL - $24,600
2016 Ram 1500 - $26,200
2016 Chevy 1500 - $25,800
To replace my 1 ton is 70 grand . Guess I'm keeping my old 7.3

Old 02-16-2016, 09:30 PM

196 posts, read 216,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You still only have a partial view. When the neighbours leave, where do they go? What do they do? Do you follow their every move? I can leave home empty and come home empty, but it does not mean the vehicle isn't used while I am out. I've had to help my dad move things since he is getting older and can't do it. I leave home empty, and come home empty.
Meh. There are friends, co-workers you see every day and you know intimately. I know a guy in his mid-late twenties, single, rents an apartment, no renovations, no outdoor hobbies. Lives on the edges of a metropolis, right within the greater metropolitan area of 4 million people. A truck, or a plus-sized vehicle is a pita to go into town with. By his own words, he owns a pickup because he likes driving large vehicles. Everyone around him -including family- wondered why he bought a truck. Don't tell me they don't know the guy or how he lives.

These people do exist and are the people the OP is referring to. Not all you folks who do use a truck's capabilities.

That being said, a car often times isn't a purely logical purchase. If he likes it, who am I to judge. We've all bought things we don't necessarily need. I'd be a hypocrite because I'd really like a Golf R.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:32 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Who says you can't haul stuff with a Miata? Has the same open top advantage of a truck bed.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:12 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,484,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Meh. There are friends, co-workers you see every day and you know intimately. I know a guy in his mid-late twenties, single, rents an apartment, no renovations, no outdoor hobbies. Lives on the edges of a metropolis, right within the greater metropolitan area of 4 million people. A truck, or a plus-sized vehicle is a pita to go into town with. By his own words, he owns a pickup because he likes driving large vehicles. Everyone around him -including family- wondered why he bought a truck. Don't tell me they don't know the guy or how he lives.

These people do exist and are the people the OP is referring to. Not all you folks who do use a truck's capabilities.

That being said, a car often times isn't a purely logical purchase. If he likes it, who am I to judge. We've all bought things we don't necessarily need. I'd be a hypocrite because I'd really like a Golf R.
I drive into the city with a truck every day. I do not think it is a PIA. I cannot park in some spaces, depending how people park, but I can park in most.

There are advantages to driving a truck in heavy traffic as opposed to a sports car. I like the truck because when I am stuck in traffic I have a much better chance to look over or through the vehicle in front of me to see what the hold up is. This saves me time at least once a week and even if I cannot get around the traffic hold up I often feel better if I know what the hold up is.

Also in the past I have thrown my back out and I find it much easier climbing up into a truck than down into a car.

Sure I may not need my truck bed every week, but I do not need a trunk, back seats, fog lights, a car that can do 0-60 in 3 - 4 seconds, low profile tires, sun roof, moon roof, power windows, auto start, heated seats......the list goes on....every day either.

I would like to know if the OP has ever even driven a pickup truck? They are not hard to drive at all and can be easier to park than most cars depending on the configuration.

As for thinking I am better because of driving a bigger vehicle or intimidating people that is BS. I am too preoccupied driving to worry about what other people think. I drive a 15 year old vehicle for crying out loud and there are literally 16 year old's in my neighborhood that drive nicer vehicles than my truck when it was new. If I cared I would cry about that. As a matter of fact I think I will.

16 year old's in a new Audi and Mustang.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 AM

196 posts, read 216,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I drive into the city with a truck every day. I do not think it is a PIA. I cannot park in some spaces, depending how people park, but I can park in most.
Our streets are a lot smaller, narrower than your streets I'm afraid. The most popular vehicles here are compact and subcompact cars/cuvs. The spots they vacate aren't plus-sized. My friend has even encountered grocery/retail parking lot spots that are small for his truck (too short and/or his side mirrors protrude).

Old 02-17-2016, 06:41 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,486 times
All the time when I was young, kids used to ride in the back of pick-ups

Old 02-17-2016, 06:54 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,484,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Our streets are a lot smaller, narrower than your streets I'm afraid. The most popular vehicles here are compact and subcompact cars/cuvs. The spots they vacate aren't plus-sized. My friend has even encountered grocery/retail parking lot spots that are small for his truck (too short and/or his side mirrors protrude).
Yes, this can be problematic in some areas in the states as well. Often I will see people that fold their mirrors in when parked on the street or small parking lots.

I guess if I lived in Montréal I would not own a truck but it would be offset by other advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
All the time when I was young, kids used to ride in the back of pick-ups
Me too! But now it would probably be illegal. I remember the Brat used to have seats in the back.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times
Drove my dad's S-10s which are not full size. I will say they were handy. But didn't really need them so sold them. I will say that I really like the F-150 King Ranch. Nice and roomy and love the leather. :-) BUT the price, I could buy another Lexus!!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:03 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
What do you actually like about them though? They're not cheap, they don't handle that well, they aren't fuel efficient, they aren't agile, etc etc etc. Outside of towing and frequent hauling of things that wouldn't fit in an CUV/SUV, I don't get the love for suburban Americans.
An F350 is not like a regular pickup. Those things are huge! A regular size pickup has room enough to haul things and still handle well. The only problem with them is parking is a little harder than in a compact car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive