Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 10:10 PM

469 posts, read 576,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Actually, many SUV's are based on trucks and serve a variety of purposes.

Take a suburban, expeditionXL, or Excursion for instance. What if you want a long bed pickup for hauling 4x8 sheets and other lumber but have a large family of 6 or more and like to go camping/traveling with them. Those vehicles fit that need perfectly. Remove/lower seats and you have a pickup with an 8ft bed. Leave the mid row of seats in and you have a crew cab pickup with a short bed/cap combo!

What about the shorter versions such as yukon or expedition? They are basically an enclosed short bed truck. My shortbed pickup can be a pain to get items from the forward/center of the bed. A tahoe/expedition you open the doors and there you go!

I spent many years driving the "old school" SUV's such as the bronco, which was a shortened F150. Got something bulky, rear top came off in 15 minutes. Folded rear seat down and a solid 5 1/2 ft "bed" giving it the same bed length as a modern super crew!

If you don't haul dirty stuff, like ummm dirt, or gravel, etc, an SUV is a great choice. I would have probably bought a suburban if I didn't normally just chuck stuff in the back of my truck and wasn't such a slob based on the veriety of use I got out of my old Broncos. But the slob in me overall prefers the pick-up!
You make some really good points. I think you DO actually use your SUV as it was meant to be used.

That being said... I can't help but to notice though that most of the people that drive said Expeditions/Suburbans/Excursions/etc. don't use them for the reasons you listed, at least not where I've lived, or even the people I know personally. They are single guys/ and (mostly) girls that just have them....well I don't really know why they have them. *shrug*. They don't really haul much of anything, they have no family, they aren't really backwoods type folks..

Most of them aren't very good off road anymore. The old Broncos and such and are a thing of the past. I maintain, the only SUV's that can still go in really rough terrain are the Rovers and the Toyotas. The rest are just bloated station wagons.

I'm just sayin'...YMMV.

Last edited by wvtraveler; 02-13-2016 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 10:30 PM

4,324 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
If I got a nickel for how many times I had a situation in the last 10 years where I thought to myself "man I wish I had a pickup", I'd be a millionaire.

An exaggeration, yeah...but if I had a lot of extra cash, I'd get one. They do have a purpose for a lot of people.

SUV's...now that's a different story. Range/Land Rovers and Toyota Land Cruisers are the only ones that can really actually go offroad. Most people that drive SUV's are riding around in big, heavy, slow, and utterly useless vehicles that they will never take off the road, and don't really need.

A station wagon would do the same job much easier.
A station wagon body variant of a sedan, is virtually non-existent on the market today. The VW Golf is one of the very few exceptions.

Minivans, car-based SUVs, and truck-based SUVs, pretty much fill the market segment that was previously served by the sedan-based wagons.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:01 PM

469 posts, read 576,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
A station wagon body variant of a sedan, is virtually non-existent on the market today. The VW Golf is one of the very few exceptions.

Minivans, car-based SUVs, and truck-based SUVs, pretty much fill the market segment that was previously served by the sedan-based wagons.
No doubt. Station wagons are still quite common in Europe though. Here in 'Murica we like it much bigger, and with less gas mileage.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:45 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
No doubt. Station wagons are still quite common in Europe though. Here in 'Murica we like it much bigger, and with less gas mileage.

I always like the wagons. My favorite which I always wanted to own was the Toyota Camry wagon. Nowadays small SUV's are the ticket.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:51 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post

Ya, it's one of the saddest things about living in the U.S.

Audi has the high riding All Road... the Avant stopped coming here end of 2013.
BMW has the expensive 3 series wagon.
Subaru has their high riding Outback.
VW has their Golf wagon.

Then there are a bunch of hatchbacks to choose from which are the next best thing.
At least those seem to be sticking around.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:36 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Why was this posted?? Is the OP trying to find some logic to it? I love the color blue. I think it's the prettiest of all the colors. I hate orange. I don't know why anyone would like orange.

^ That is how stupid this post is. Don't like them? Don't buy one. It's simple. People like hot weather and beach sand. Others like mountains and snow. If you like the first, live in the south. Like the second? Move north.

It's a preference issue. What was your hope for the outcome of this post?

Old 02-14-2016, 01:39 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
What was your hope for the outcome of this post?
20+ pages of arguing, maybe? Mission accomplished.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
actually here in america, we would prefer station wagon to SUVs, but since our government has decided that cars are easy targets emissions wise, and that trucks have softer standards, the SUV was born to replace the station wagon. had the government any sense, SUVs would not be around, and the station wagon would still be king of the people movers.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:28 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually here in america, we would prefer station wagon to SUVs, but since our government has decided that cars are easy targets emissions wise, and that trucks have softer standards, the SUV was born to replace the station wagon. had the government any sense, SUVs would not be around, and the station wagon would still be king of the people movers.
Not all of us would prefer station wagons. Personally, I never liked station wagons as I always liked the more truck like style, height and seating position of the SUV's. Believe it or not, SUV's had been around since the early days of station wagon's.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:11 PM

639 posts, read 579,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Who is this we? I've never come across anyone in my life that prefers a station wagon over anything, let alone an suv. Let's hope the GOV does less, not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive