Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I don't understand people who jump out of planes, or who climb mountains. Nor do I understand people who like sushi, or who like to live in Alaska. But what does that matter ? It only has to make sense to the person who likes those things, or who like pickups. It would be a pretty boring world if everyone liked the same things and drove the same kind of vehicle.

I saw a spare tire cover on a Jeep that said "If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand anyway." That about sums it up.

Don

Hey!!!

The dirty little secret is many of us hate living in 6 months of winter.

I can't speak for others but, in my case, I tolerate it (for now) because I'm paid a fair bit of money to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,540 times
Its more symbolic than practical, in america pickup trucks have that western cowboy macho type of feel to them. I currently live in an rural part of illinois and its practically illegal not to own a pickup truck here, and they are not cheap -65K for a top of the line truck and they are massive, tough on fuel and not even easy to park, occasionally you see some one hauling something in one of then but its such a small amount that they could just put it in the trunk of a car.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, funny how pickups are rarely seen in Europe and wagons are still the practical utilitarian vehicle.

National Lampoon's Vacation making fun of the wagon queen family truckster must not have been as popular over there heh.

Europe, oh my! that place is burning. I'll bet lots of them wish they had a pickup to escape from that cesspool.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Because it is a large vehicle where you sit up higher making you feel bigger, stronger and more intimidating to others.
Ya, that's why all the lawn mowing crews have them. Brilliant observation. Do I have to buy a weed whacker when I buy a used F-150 or does it come with one?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
My favorite story about lifting was a cousin-in-law who lifted his truck in his garage only to discover that he had made it too high to back it out of his garage.
My favorite personally-observed over and over again phenomenon is seeing people scrape or entirely rip off their car bumpers or spoilers when just parking on a city street with curbs, OR going over a speed table, OR going up or down a sloped driveway. Some of them are regular-height cars, too, not sports cars.

Maybe THEY should pay extra to install adjustable lifts.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:54 AM

430 posts, read 639,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Europe, oh my! that place is burning. I'll bet lots of them wish they had a pickup to escape from that cesspool.
Is there some kind of meme going around conservative America? I keep hearing conservatives talk about how horrible Europe is. It's like they live on a different planet. Europe is better than America in quality of life and has been for half a century.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
While I am not a huge fan of trucks they are very useful & come in handy when you use it to make a living. Plus they are great fun to hop in the back & watch the sun sit with you SO.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:02 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
My favorite personally-observed over and over again phenomenon is seeing people scrape or entirely rip off their car bumpers or spoilers when just parking on a city street with curbs, OR going over a speed table, OR going up or down a sloped driveway. Some of them are regular-height cars, too, not sports cars.

Maybe THEY should pay extra to install adjustable lifts.
Yeah, a lot of those really slammed ones are on air bags too. Wheel gap exists for a reason.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Not to be nitpicky and I am not trying to argue but I usually try to chose words, phrases and scentances wisely so as not to get this kind of response but I will point out that if you re-read my post I clearly stated that the "FULL SIZED SEDAN" is what was replaced. I also stated the "TRUCK BASED SUV's". Those are along the lines of the Tahoe/Suburban, Expedition/expedition XL which are nothing more then a pick-up with a cap. They are a body on frame 1/2 ton.
Fair enough.
The miscommunication on my part is probably the "full sized" sedan... meaning the big behemoths from the 70's and prior? In other words, not a current day Maxima, Lexus ES, Audi A6, etc. I was thinking of these being the evolution of the old Cutless Supremes and such. Today's sedans mentioned above I would consider full size, but I guess would probably be better described as mid-size compared to previous cars. The biggest sedans I can think of today are also the most expensive, flagship models, in which case pickup sales actually would win out I'm sure.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
I don't, personally, understand the love for those tiny smart cars, but people love them. I'm sure it's all about the fuel economy and easy parking.

I don't own a truck, but wished I had one. As a homeowner, there is a constant need for a truck where I live. I'm always having to borrow my father-in-law's truck, and it's not in the best of shape, mechanically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive