Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
My favorite personally-observed over and over again phenomenon is seeing people scrape or entirely rip off their car bumpers or spoilers when just parking on a city street with curbs, OR going over a speed table, OR going up or down a sloped driveway. Some of them are regular-height cars, too, not sports cars.

Maybe THEY should pay extra to install adjustable lifts.
No way man... fender gap is for sissies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:46 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
I was having problems putting 40 bags of mulch into the trunk of my Dodge sedan.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Our 03 AWD AstroVan does double duty as tower/hauler, and bad weather/driving conditions vehicle of choice.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, a lot of those really slammed ones are on air bags too. Wheel gap exists for a reason.
Mine weren't. I've never had air ride on any lowered car or truck yet, nor hydraulics. And they all rode good, due to making sure the suspension still functioned, even when they were 4" or more lower than stock. From street rods and '50s customs to air cooled VWs, mintrucks, and sports cars, I love, and always will love, lowered cars.

Now, my kid's truck we're putting on air, so it'll be low, but adjustable and be able to compensate for what few loads it'll have in the oak bed.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:38 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Not to be nitpicky and I am not trying to argue but I usually try to chose words, phrases and scentances wisely so as not to get this kind of response but I will point out that if you re-read my post I clearly stated that the "FULL SIZED SEDAN" is what was replaced.
Exactly. FULL SIZE SEDANS have been replaced, not SEDANS. The majority of sedans today are MIDSIZE and COMPACT, not the big boys.

Crossovers/CUVs have also taken a chunk out of this market, but most of what they have replaced are full size BoF SUVs. Once upon a time, if you wanted the space/ride height/ ground clearance and not a pickup, a traditional truck-based SUV was the only way to go, so lots of people (including myself) bought them. Now, the CUV gives the same functionality, but without as much of the "trucky" character which suits the preferences of the masses.

And another thing: Anyone complaining about the gas millage of a new-ish 1500 truck has not owned/driven one. Seriously, they do about the same as a Minivan/CUV. I took a trip in a buddy's 2015 Silverado crew cab 4x4, did 24 mpg on the highway, that may not win any Greenpeace awards, but it's no gas guzzler.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:39 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
See below.

With the exception of the last point, pretty much any hatchback or CUV/SUV would also do the same, and have the storage space enclosed.

I did search and nothing on the first 4 pages came up, at least.

I would pay to watch you try to load a 4'x8' sheet of plywood in that suv..........and stuff a bunch of tree branches into it..........

Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
One last thing I do with my trucks is install a small crane. harbor freight sells them reasonable ,$100.
This allows me to load and un load stuff I shouldn't be handling by hand and far safer .
It's far cheaper than the damage done to my back , not having that fine little piece of equipment.
I was researching those a few years back, when I was dreaming of building a castle out of scrap brick; seem to remember they cost a little bit more than $100. As it was, the only cargo item I ended up, so far, adding to the truck was a headache rack. Perhaps I will look at them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
.........I don't own a truck, but wished I had one. As a homeowner, there is a constant need for a truck where I live. I'm always having to borrow my father-in-law's truck, and it's not in the best of shape, mechanically.
If I had my truck when Mom & Dad were alive, I'm sure I'd have a lot of phone calls of "Say, Tamara, your mother would like to work in her garden this weekend and would love to see you. Why don't you come up here with your truck and .......,"

As it was, during that time, Mom had an Olds Custom Cruiser SW, so they had the cargo hauling capacity already. Then, 4 years after Dad was gone, I had my Forester and her garage was often loaded with SW's, her CC, my SWUV.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-09-2016 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 05:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Some do work with the stock springs, many are outright replacements. But either way what does that have to do with my point about being able to raise and lower it?
you are confusing air springs with air bags, and yes there is a difference. air springs are "helper" springs that give the stock springs more load capacity as needed, where as air bags replace the stock springs ENTIRELY. but air bags were NOT designed to raise of lower a vehicle, even though the hot rodders make them do that.

Quote:
Yeah, funny how pickups are rarely seen in Europe and wagons are still the practical utilitarian vehicle.

National Lampoon's Vacation making fun of the wagon queen family truckster must not have been as popular over there heh.
have you ever been to europe? have you been on the roads over there? most of them are quite narrow, and trucks, as well as full sized cars, just dont fit the roads very well. not to mention that cities like london are quite crowded, and it is hard to get around on city streets, worse than new york or LA for example.

so with narrow roads, and very heavy traffic, a truck just doesnt fit very well over there.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yeah, lived in Germany for 4 years and ventured all over Europe. Sure in the heart of the old cities they've got narrow cobble stone streets and such. But even out in the country with wide open spaces trucks just aren't as popular. Gas being much more expensive there is probably the main reason they never took off.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
We like 8' beds to be able to haul whole sheets of plywood or sheet rock. We make fun of the double cab 6' bed trucks. Might as well have a car with a trunk. Still, they're pretty, I know. I don't fault anyone for driving what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive