Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
FTFY.

I love how you consistently talk about things you know nothing about. You made a thread about how proud you were to change the spark plugs in your Subaru Legacy... like that is a big deal.

You don't know anything about the maintenance for German cars, period. Stop making stupid generalizations.

2015 Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power

Why don't you scroll down until you get to Subaru on the list, hmm?

That's so weird... starting from the top, there's Porsche, just below them is Mercedes... scroll on down a while more and there is BMW, just ahead of the industry average. And, oh look, there's Subaru, doing quite a bit worse than the industry average. What on earth are they doing all the way down there? You better start learning how to do a lot more than just change spark plugs if you plan on keeping that hunk of junk!
These lists doesn't mean much as they constantly change and who knows if JD Powers is legit or not. How did Buick made the leap? For several years Subaru has been above average. I wouldn't know about the sudden drop off since I don't buy new cars. However, resale value is indicative of what the real world thinks of these cars desirability and value.

Resale values of Subaru especially Forester and Crosstrek are very good compared to average German cars.

Take a 2008, Audi S6 which retails for $73k but is only worth no more than $17k now. Compared to a 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X which retails for $23k and it is still worth $8k today.

The Audi S6 lost $56k in value while the Subaru only lost $15k in value over 8 years.

I'm sure the S6 is a fun car, but could be a money pit to maintain as with German cars out of warranty. I wouldn't mind leasing one but asking me to own one could be a financial suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:28 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I can see that to a point, but having to put $1500 worth of tires on a brand new car right away seems to be an awfully big initial negative to making the purchase too. Especially without knowing if the tire change will fully cure the noise intrusion, or whether the tire change will hurt the ride/handling/dynamics that made the vehicle attractive off the bat.
Spending the extra money (more like $1k) is a valid concern, but you'll be doing that anyway in the buffalo winter - winter tires. I switched out the run-flats right away because I got an entirely different wheel style (didn't like the stock rims and went from 19s to 20s) so I was down $2k right off the bat. I don't miss the run-flats - it led me to the Conti DWS tires which are very popular. It's not winter but good all-seasons sufficient for downstate NY. BTW, yes it will help with noise and it's quite possible there will be less cornering feel since RFTs have a stiffer sidewall. You get used to it and ultimately it's not a huge downgrade - and I'm in an SUV which would feel it more.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:20 PM

171 posts, read 142,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
These lists doesn't mean much as they constantly change and who knows if JD Powers is legit or not. How did Buick made the leap? For several years Subaru has been above average. I wouldn't know about the sudden drop off since I don't buy new cars. However, resale value is indicative of what the real world thinks of these cars desirability and value.

Resale values of Subaru especially Forester and Crosstrek are very good compared to average German cars.

Take a 2008, Audi S6 which retails for $73k but is only worth no more than $17k now. Compared to a 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X which retails for $23k and it is still worth $8k today.

The Audi S6 lost $56k in value while the Subaru only lost $15k in value over 8 years.

I'm sure the S6 is a fun car, but could be a money pit to maintain as with German cars out of warranty. I wouldn't mind leasing one but asking me to own one could be a financial suicide.
The example you gave is applicable to all Luxury cars. It is actually good for customers like me who can scoop them up while they are 2-3 years old , CPO.

They are still new enough and have another 4-5 years of hassle free operating left.

Also , leasing is generally a bad financial decision. It is a decent thing to do in very specific situations only.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Now THAT's funny.

Why? Have you sat inside the new Mustang yet? It's a very nice place to be...especially in premium trim. Not to mention, Sync is a very nice system and dare I say, I prefer it over Audi MMI for it's ease of use.

What's funny is someone stereotyping a car based off sheer ignorance. I drive an Audi and can still appreciate any brand, whether it be Ford, BMW, or even a Kia.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Why? Have you sat inside the new Mustang yet? It's a very nice place to be...especially in premium trim. Not to mention, Sync is a very nice system and dare I say, I prefer it over Audi MMI for it's ease of use.

What's funny is someone stereotyping a car based off sheer ignorance. I drive an Audi and can still appreciate any brand, whether it be Ford, BMW, or even a Kia.
Yes, i have. Have you said inside the new TT or 2017 A4 yet?
What's ignorant is calling someone out for having a different opinion.
Everything I see in the new mustang is all "surface". Looks pretty at first glance.
The Audi is something I can live with for years and it still feel amazing. Sync might work better in some ways... not really a concern for me. This is what i'm talking about... electronic gizmos and gimmicks do not make a luxury car. Most people, this is all they see. Others have the sensitivity to see past that. I can appreciate the Mustang in it's own right. Same with a Jeep Wrangler, Kia Soul, Honda Fit, etc. But for the purpose of this thread, trying to put the two on equal ground when comparing interior materials, fit and finish is laughable. Want to compare power in a straight line? Then you've got something.

I have an appreciation for many cars and I have owned many cars. That doesn't mean I still can't have an opinion and call one out for being uncomfortable or not liking how they feel inside. Just because Ford's marketing said they used Audi as a baseline when developing the newer mustang's interior doesn't mean diddly as to the outcome.
My opinion still stands. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, i have. Have you said inside the new TT or 2017 A4 yet?
What's ignorant is calling someone out for having a different opinion.
Everything I see in the new mustang is all "surface". Looks pretty at first glance.
The Audi is something I can live with for years and it still feel amazing. Sync might work better in some ways... not really a concern for me. This is what i'm talking about... electronic gizmos and gimmicks do not make a luxury car. Most people, this is all they see. Others have the sensitivity to see past that. I can appreciate the Mustang in it's own right. Same with a Jeep Wrangler, Kia Soul, Honda Fit, etc. But for the purpose of this thread, trying to put the two on equal ground when comparing interior materials, fit and finish is laughable. Want to compare power in a straight line? Then you've got something.

I have an appreciation for many cars and I have owned many cars. That doesn't mean I still can't have an opinion and call one out for being uncomfortable or not liking how they feel inside. Just because Ford's marketing said they used Audi as a baseline when developing the newer mustang's interior doesn't mean diddly as to the outcome.
My opinion still stands. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Yes, I have. The 2017 is still laden with many hard plastics and dare I say, cheap feeling parts. My A5 is a 2012 Premium Plus, and the buttons in the MMI already get stuck. So, I'm really trying to understand your whole point about the Ford and Audi not being comparable...because my car is living proof that a 4 year old Audi isn't exactly "feeling amazing" in every aspect.

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all, it's actually kinda funny. I can live with the Mustang or my Audi for years, as the style, materials used in both cars will age very well. This is your OPINION, but a Mustang GT Premium with the Premier trim, yes, it rivals the German cars in terms of fit and finish. Several car enthusiasts, and magazines have all agreed on how much a step up the current S550 Mustang is compared to its past and to say that its "laughable" that an American sports car is creeping up to a German luxury car, does simply show your ignorance, blatantly. The fact that you just mentioned "power in a straight line" shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and proves to me you don't know cars, if you did, you wouldn't have even stated that. This isn't 2005 anymore. I still stand by my statement that I'd gladly trade up (yes, up) out of my Premium Plus A5 for a new GT Premium. There are many people trading from their BMW's and Audi's for Mustangs and Camaro's these days. (go to any BMW/Audi/ or Ford forum, a simple google search will do).

You claim to have an appreciation, that's the only thing I find laugable about your comments. My opinion also still stands...but it's just not cool to knock someone just because you don't like it.

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 02-23-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yes, I have. The 2017 is still laden with many hard plastics and dare I say, cheap feeling parts. My A5 is a 2012 Premium Plus, and the buttons in the MMI already get stuck. So, I'm really trying to understand your whole point about the Ford and Audi not being comparable...because my car is living proof that a 4 year old Audi isn't exactly "feeling amazing" in every aspect.

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all, it's actually kinda funny. I can live with the Mustang or my Audi for years, as the style, materials used in both cars will age very well. This is your OPINION, but a Mustang GT Premium with the Premier trim, yes, it rivals the German cars in terms of fit and finish. Several car enthusiasts, and magazines have all agreed on how much a step up the current S550 Mustang is compared to its past and to say that its "laughable" that an American sports car is creeping up to a German luxury car, does simply show your ignorance, blatantly. The fact that you just mentioned "power in a straight line" shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and proves to me you don't know cars, if you did, you wouldn't have even stated that. This isn't 2005 anymore. I still stand by my statement that I'd gladly trade up (yes, up) out of my Premium Plus A5 for a new GT Premium. There are many people trading from their BMW's and Audi's for Mustangs and Camaro's these days. (go to any BMW/Audi/ or Ford forum, a simple google search will do).

You claim to have an appreciation, that's the only thing I find laugable about your comments. My opinion also still stands...but it's just not cool to knock someone just because you don't like it.
Sorry but your "premium" mustang trim doesn't rival my "premium" trim in my Prestige Audi.
Nothing rivals Alcantara seats. At least in this price range.

A step up for american cars doesn't mean that much... although it's definitely true. Another example is the new corvette. Miles better than it used to be.

Are you arguing that the mustang is faster in a straight line? Thought you would have liked that.

People trade one car for another all the time. Up, down, sideways. So what? You purchase a vehicle that fits whatever requirements you are looking for at the time. I've owned all kinds for all kinds of reasons.

Finally, I'm glad you agree it's not cool to call someone ignorant for having a different opinion. Even though you continue to do so throughout your posts. Again, I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I sincerely hope you enjoy your new Mustang for years to come and that in 4-5 years you don't have something as outrageous as a stuck button. They are definitely cool cars, if you like that sort of thing.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:51 PM

For the O.P... if he hasn't been bored by the bickering and is still checking in...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ands/80808192/

Old 02-23-2016, 02:41 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Sorry but your "premium" mustang trim doesn't rival my "premium" trim in my Prestige Audi.

A step up for american cars doesn't mean that much... although it's definitely true. Another example is the new corvette. Miles better than it used to be.

Are you arguing that the mustang is faster in a straight line? Thought you would have liked that.

People trade one car for another all the time. Up, down, sideways. So what? You purchase a vehicle that fits whatever requirements you are looking for at the time. I've owned all kinds for all kinds of reasons.

Finally, I'm glad you agree it's not cool to call someone ignorant for having a different opinion. Even though you continue to do so throughout your posts. Again, I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I sincerely hope you enjoy your new Mustang for years to come and that in 4-5 years you don't have something as outrageous as a stuck button. They are definitely cool cars, if you like that sort of thing.
After much of a decade and 56k miles, my '06 Mustang GT didn't have any stuck buttons or worn plastics nor was it uncomfortable, slow, or cheap feeling. Your insults are not warranted, nor do they show the opinions of a well rounded enthusiast, but an elitist snob.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:

My last post to you...all I'm saying is, I can appreciate other car brands, even with my driving an "elite" ish car. But, don't knock something til you tried it Otherwise, you're going to miss out on a lot with your logic. Times have changed and car makers are putting out some amazing products these days, even the "blue collared" brands.

BTW, I'm actually more scared of my Audi lasting another 5 years moreso than I would be with a Ford, since a German car out of warranty is basically a ticking time bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive