Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,783 times

Advertisements

So on Friday at 2:55 I got pulled over by an officer of Fairfax city. He used the radar to determine I was going 77 mph in a 35mph zone, this is my first time pulled over. I've had my license for almost 3 years now if not already. My record is clean and I have plus 3 points. I'm 20 years old. I've been freaking out and feel like crying. I know I messed up. Being completely honest with you guys I didn't realize I was going that fast. I know it sounds stupid but I'm telling you guys the truth. I work full time and go to school on Tuesday and Thursday after work. I have never had any problems with the law. What do you guys think the court will do to me for the reckless driving ticket with the things I've told you.

Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 06:17 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
" My record is clean and I have plus 3 points."
What does that mean? If you have 3 points, you don't have a clean record.

As for the reckless driving...depends on the judge. But take your checkbook, it will cost a lot.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:22 AM

899 posts, read 1,016,101 times
Hopefully it's a lesson learned...

Old 03-08-2016, 06:27 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Reckless driving, unless I'm mistaken, is technically a misdemeanor that can be punishable by jail time in extreme cases.

More than likely you will end up with a suspended license for some time, and a jacked up insurance rate.

Consult with a lawyer.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.Kev View Post
So on Friday at 2:55 I got pulled over by an officer of Fairfax city. He used the radar to determine I was going 77 mph in a 35mph zone, this is my first time pulled over. I've had my license for almost 3 years now if not already. My record is clean and I have plus 3 points. I'm 20 years old. I've been freaking out and feel like crying. I know I messed up. Being completely honest with you guys I didn't realize I was going that fast. I know it sounds stupid but I'm telling you guys the truth. I work full time and go to school on Tuesday and Thursday after work. I have never had any problems with the law. What do you guys think the court will do to me for the reckless driving ticket with the things I've told you.

Thank you for your time
Ask the judge that if you volunteer to give up your license until your 25, maybe he will drop the charges.

You didn't realize you were driving that fast so maybe walking for the next five years you will have learned a lesson.

Driving 77 in a 35 requires a lesson.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
So, the officer citied you into court? As in court "appearance required?" Did the officer give you a summons for something specific?

How does a clean record already have three points? You were going well over twice the speed limit. How do you explain that to a judge?

Plead "guilty" or "no contest." Then take it as a lesson learned. It only takes a couple hazardous moving violations to change how you drive.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:37 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,718 times
I thought that, in Virginia, doing 15 mph over the posted speed or over 80 mph was considered a felony offense? I haven't fact checked but I recall reading something like that.

I personally make it a point to drive slow in Virginia because of this. That, and of course those funny signs they have, "speed is monitored by aircraft".

Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,728,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I thought that, in Virginia, doing 15 mph over the posted speed or over 80 mph was considered a felony offense? I haven't fact checked but I recall reading something like that.
Going 20 mph over the limit or over 80 mph is a misdemeanor. The OP definitely needs a lawyers but frankly at over 40 over the limit, I have a hard time seeing him get out of this one without some significant pain and rightfully so.

For those asking about the +3 points, in VA you get a point for every year you drive up to 5 points and you lose points for an infraction. Having +3 points simply means the OP had no infractions his first three years of driving.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:53 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.Kev View Post

Thank you for your time
Virginia? You are lucky they didn't impound your car and throw you in jail for 3 days before you were allowed to see a judge. I know at least 2 people that had this very thing happen and they were only going 10 over on the interstate. Virginia doesn't mess around when it comes to speeding.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:54 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,973 times
First off, I can understand not realizing you're going 10 over, like, say, 45 in a 35. But how do you not realize you're going twice the posted limit?

Take your lumps, readjust your budget, and don't speed on collector roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive