Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.Kev View Post
So on Friday at 2:55 I got pulled over by an officer of Fairfax city. He used the radar to determine I was going 77 mph in a 35mph zone, this is my first time pulled over. I've had my license for almost 3 years now if not already. My record is clean and I have plus 3 points. I'm 20 years old. I've been freaking out and feel like crying. I know I messed up. Being completely honest with you guys I didn't realize I was going that fast. I know it sounds stupid but I'm telling you guys the truth. I work full time and go to school on Tuesday and Thursday after work. I have never had any problems with the law. What do you guys think the court will do to me for the reckless driving ticket with the things I've told you.

Thank you for your time

Dude come on who are you kidding? Us or yourself? How the F do you not realize you're cranking close to 80 mph on a 35 mph limit street. You knew exactly how fast you were going,and if that cop didn't catch you you will be right back doing 77 on that same street. You probably drive like that all the time.
Whatever fines they levy, IMO they should double them. You should lose your license. Slow down dbag. You'll kill someone with your stupid driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:28 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
In our area 20+ miles over the speed limit is considered a felony. You get to have your vehicle towed to an impound lot, you get arrested, you lose your license, you get either jail time or community service, your insurance is cancelled. And that is only the start of your problems.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Virginia has the most backwards and overbearing speed laws in the United States, but 77 MPH in a 35 MPH zone is ridiculous, regardless of which state you're in.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
I can't think of a circumstance where going 77 in a 35 would be safe. What if someone had pulled out expecting you to be going close to 35? What if one little thing had gone wrong at that speed? That's over twice the speed limit... you should be glad you weren't eating windshield for brunch.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 AM

1,333 posts, read 884,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
LOL What kind of car were you driving OP?

If you didn't notice you were going 77 in a 35, you must have been driving a Porsche 911 turbo, or a Mercedes S550/E550, BMW M5, or any high powered luxury sport car/sedan.

If you come back and say you were driving a Toyota anything, no one is going to take you seriously and you REALLY need to have the book thrown at you for being so clueless.
haha, maybe he did have a Toyota and thought he was breaking 3 digits :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
77 in a 35? Good Lord man. I would strongly suggest you hire an attorney, see if the court offers a driving school to keep your license from being suspended and jail time. Good luck to you.
This is probably the best advice I could give. Get an attorney, accept that there's going to be some type of punishment and just plan for all cases. Do your research on possible sentences. From my experience, unless it's a really extreme case, you will generally be able to work out a plea bargain that will leave your pockets empty, but keep you out of jail.

77 in a 35 is pretty insane, but if no one else was on the road and you weren't swerving around or anything, I could see this working out to be some sort of remedial driving classes, a driving suspension and/or hefty fines.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Hahahahaha ! You are going to be walking for a LONG time. Any idiot would know they are WAY above the speed limit like 77 in a 35 !

Bright side is, the fresh air and exercise will be good for you. You can get one of these, or , if you want to go out on a date, get a tandem bike !

Don

Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How can you have a clean record AND 3 points? Points aren't given out when you make a donation to the PBA. They're not like the sticker you get when you vote. Clearly, you had some other traffic offense that doesn't sound to minor.
Reading is fundamental. There were four or five posts asking the same exact thing and at least as many explaining why.

In Virginia, positive points are given each year you are infraction free with a max of 5. So, yeah, they actually are given out like a sticker when you vote or a donation to th PBA. Then negative points are assessed for tickets, giving you a bit of leeway as a first time offender or if you've been clean a few years.

Shocker, every state's laws are not exactly like every other state!

And back to the OP, depending on how long it has been since your ticket, you should be getting letters from lots of traffic attorneys in your area. CALL THEM. See what they say. If one used to be a DA or magistrate in your area, give special attention to them as they probably have connections and know the deal. But if none mention that, as long as they are practicing traffic offenses in your area, you should be fine. Just make sure they've been doing it a while. Standard tickets, anyone can do, but you need someone very experienced.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:05 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,819 times
Quote:
So on Friday at 2:55 I got pulled over by an officer of Fairfax city. He used the radar to determine I was going 77 mph in a 35mph zone, this is my first time pulled over. I've had my license for almost 3 years now if not already. My record is clean and I have plus 3 points. I'm 20 years old. I've been freaking out and feel like crying. I know I messed up. Being completely honest with you guys I didn't realize I was going that fast. I know it sounds stupid but I'm telling you guys the truth. I work full time and go to school on Tuesday and Thursday after work. I have never had any problems with the law. What do you guys think the court will do to me for the reckless driving ticket with the things I've told you.

Thank you for your time
Back in 1984, I got a ticket in Highlands Florida for doing 115+ in a 45... and I DIDN'T go to jail.
I was racing a 'Vette (that I blew away 5 times) - in my Mustang GT.
My ticket was $285 bucks - but it beat spending the night in jail - as did the owner of the Vette....

2 months later, while getting on I-95 onramp, I was pulled over for doing 85 in a 55... and it wasn't me that he clocked miles down the road... But with the 115+ on my record, he didn't listen to a word I said and taking it to court the judge would have laughed at me, so that 115+ got me two tickets - once deserved, the other not... Good luck... it's gonna cost ya'....

Old 03-09-2016, 11:47 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,065 times
You're in VA and in Fairfax. Show up to court, hire a lawyer, and they'll drop it to 19 mph over the speed limit, if you're lucky.

But seriously, 77 in a 35 is pretty bad. You'd be lucky if you get that.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:55 AM

780 posts, read 2,926,974 times
Quote:

Thank you for your time
Hire a traffic lawyer. Trust me, it would be cheaper in the long run especially since you're only 20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive