Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:55 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that would be HELLEN mirren in red and red 2.
If you're going to correct someone's spelling you should probably get it right yourself.

Her name is HELEN.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
My SUV is referred to as the Beast and an it....I'd call it a guy long before anything feminine....there's absolutely nothing feminine about it. Even my sports car is referred to as a guy....granted it was designed after a racer and his name is all over it. One of my friends had a regular model and I still called it a dude car, but my husband has always called it a chick car.

Boats are always female. Just the way it is!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
How do you know "sam" was definitely male?
Did you get male pleasure from it?
Saying he's definitely male is absolutely ridiculous.
For C sake, you are talking about a vehicle, not a human.

Bob.
dude, chill out, its all in fun anyway. if oyu dont like it, you dont have to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
If you're going to correct someone's spelling you should probably get it right yourself.

Her name is HELEN.
i think my keyboard needs to be debounced. thank you

Old 08-17-2016, 04:43 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Even national governments were referred to as "she". Thomas Paine wrote: "Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right, not only to tax, but to bind us in all cases whatsoever."

It's not so much that cars, boats, governments, etc., are considered female. But more that the pronouns are overloaded with different meanings in different contexts. "He" can mean "he or she" and in that context should be considered like an abbreviation of "he or she." "She" can mean a female or various types of objects. Just different meanings of the same pronouns.

Last edited by eok; 08-17-2016 at 05:30 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 09:55 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Why do so many men refer to their vehicle as "she"?
Obviously the vehicle does not have a vagina.
Matter of fact, being a machine, it has absolutely no sex gender.
The correct phrase when talking about one's vehicle would be, my car, my truck, my suv.
Why do guys insist on calling their car she?
I never hear women call their vehicles she, or for that matter, he.

Bob.
I always felt it was a "yin-yang" reference; where every "thing" has a masculine or feminine identity (essense?)

OTOH I have definitly driven cars that "acted" like a b + itch when I drove it vs when a guy would drive it!

Several cars I've driven would run like a dream for a BF then sputter, clunk, pull or just die when I would get behind the wheel. Not just being a b + itch but acting like a jealous one at that.

Boats are typically female as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM

308 posts, read 499,295 times
I never referred my cars to "she" or "he". I always say "my car/truck"

Old 08-17-2016, 10:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Many people name their cars or trucks. Many people, both guys and girls, will call their car their baby. I think with guys, and maybe Girls as well, the guy really does love the car he owns and thinks of it as a beautiful woman. She is his everything. An old friend just picked up a 2016 Mercedes Coupe and he claims "she" is a beauty.

I remember people calling older ugly cars names such as "Big Bertha" or a Blue truck named of all things "Big Blue". Kind of fun and part of owning a people mover. I have never named a car or called one She. Not my thing. I have said, when I was alone with no one to hear me, "Come on Baby, just make it to the gas station." But that was long before I realized that I did not have to weight to fill up the tank. LOL

I have no idea where it all started with the car naming thing. My thoughts on all this is realize that people used to have animals to get around on. In my city we have homes that have places to keep the horse and buggy. They are some of the original homes for the city built between 1903 and maybe as late as 1930's. Even in the 1930's not everyone had a car. Even many milk men (Yes they used to deliver milk to your home) would use a horse and cart to deliver the milk. Some of these milk men were still using a horse and cart way into the 1950's. We name animals. When cars took over for the horse the idea of naming the transportation device did not stop. We like to name things we care about and many people care about their cars.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:39 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Why do so many men refer to their vehicle as "she"?
Obviously the vehicle does not have a vagina.
Matter of fact, being a machine, it has absolutely no sex gender.
The correct phrase when talking about one's vehicle would be, my car, my truck, my suv.
Why do guys insist on calling their car she?
I never hear women call their vehicles she, or for that matter, he.

Bob.
Why is "dress" in Spanish a masculine noun (el vestido)? Why is "necktie" feminine (la corbata)? Why is "girl" neuter in German (das Mädchen). Why do so many people in English use the third person plural pronoun "they" to refer to third person singular antecedents (For example: Each one bought their own lunch).

It's language. The concept of gender in language has nothing to do with something's biological sex, or lack thereof.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Get over it!

Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
How do you know "sam" was definitely male?
Did you get male pleasure from it?
Saying he's definitely male is absolutely ridiculous.
For C sake, you are talking about a vehicle, not a human.

Bob.
Sexual issues much?

Definitely humor issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive