Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:42 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times

Advertisements

My mustang, Roxanne was the only she, my s10 blazer, K10, were he's, and the bronco was nothing. For some reason over on FullSizeChevy, a few users took offense to me calling it a he, like drop a ford engine in it offense. I asked them if they would want the human female equivalant of a 77 K10. I'm not shallow, I like bbws, but I wouldn't.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
To me, they have always been Its. Its with personality, but not gender.

People refer to boats as She also, which I also do not agree with.

Did you not learn anything from this thread, about languages and gender for objects in said languages? You can't just "disagree" with it. That's like telling your teacher that they are wrong about your test answers when in fact YOU are wrong. Or saying you disagree why the sky is blue.

Opinions are not more important than facts. Jesus.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Did you not learn anything from this thread, about languages and gender for objects in said languages? You can't just "disagree" with it. That's like telling your teacher that they are wrong about your test answers when in fact YOU are wrong. Or saying you disagree why the sky is blue.

Opinions are not more important than facts. Jesus.
Nowhere did I dispute that many people refer to boats as She. I can disagree with that practice, which is what I meant in case it isn't obvious enough for you.

The fact remains that machines do not have gender. Only living things do.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Every once in awhile someone gets caught taking it literally.
Man arrested after trying to have sex with a van | WDTN

Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
A better question is why so many languages have grammatical gender built in. Maybe it's the same thing - there is an innate human tendency to personify things.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
I think the majority of people use "it" for their car. But they mostly just use it for transportation, and don't have that extreme pride of ownership some people have.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:21 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I think the majority of people use "it" for their car. But they mostly just use it for transportation, and don't have that extreme pride of ownership some people have.
I have a tremendous amount of pride in all my vehicles, but they are never given a sex gender.
My Vette is "my car", or "my Vette", and nothing about it remotely makes it gender specific.
After all, it is a machine, not a human being.

Bob.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:57 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Nowhere did I dispute that many people refer to boats as She. I can disagree with that practice, which is what I meant in case it isn't obvious enough for you.

The fact remains that machines do not have gender. Only living things do.
The fact is that grammatical gender and biological sex are two entirely different concepts. English has three grammatical genders: masculine, feminine, and neuter. English is a Germanic language, and other Germanic languages also have the same three genders (German and Icelandic, to name a couple). While words pertaining to living things may often have a grammatical gender that corresponds to the things' biological gender, this is by no means a rule. For example: the German word for girl is not a feminine word, but neuter.

English assigns ships and other mechanical vessels the feminine gender. The fact that most inanimate objects in English are neuter does not mean that all of them are. As another example, most Spanish words ending in -o are masculine, while most Spanish words ending in -a are feminine. But then you have la mano (hand; feminine) la foto (photograph; feminine), el problema (problem; masculine), and so forth.

This is not a political correctness issue, nor is it a feminist issue. The only people who make issues out of this kind of stuff are people who are ignorant of the fact that grammatical gender and biological gender are not the same thing!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Depends on what you (or rather your kids) name it. My Camaro was named Penelope. Has to be a she. However Mike the truck, he.

My daughters green spark "Kermit" can only be He. However the volvo we bought for kid use "Iwald", could be either. Most call it He. (I want a licensed driver - resulted form our kids having no interest in getting their license)

Old 08-18-2016, 01:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have probably had 30 cars or more since I started driving in 1968, but only one that I named, and none that I referred to as "she." I have almost always had 3, 2 for me and one for my wife, and refer to most of them by their model, such as "the challenger" but the Ranger I call "the truck." I have no objections, however, to anyone calling their car "she" or anything else they want, including P___o___S___ which a friend called his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive