Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:15 AM

604 posts, read 653,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you feel that way, don't try to learn a language like Spanish or Italian. Everything is either a "he" or a "she" according to them.
True for Latin languages (French, Italian, Spanish, Romanian, Portuguese) and my understanding also for others as well.

Nothing wrong with it, since some of us consider it affection towards our beloved toy/car...

Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
I always thought that things like planes, cars, and ships were generally referred to as "she" because they carried people inside of them like women do. Kinda along the same reason why the end of a plug that gets inserted is the "male" end and the part that get's plugged into is the "female" end. Both are rational references to human anatomy.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:00 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I always thought that things like planes, cars, and ships were generally referred to as "she" because they carried people inside of them like women do. Kinda along the same reason why the end of a plug that gets inserted is the "male" end and the part that get's plugged into is the "female" end. Both are rational references to human anatomy.
Interesting thought, but no, it's the Romance languages.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
How do you know "sam" was definitely male?
Did you get male pleasure from it?
Saying he's definitely male is absolutely ridiculous.
For C sake, you are talking about a vehicle, not a human.

Bob.
I don't assign names or gender to my vehicles, but I think you are getting a little carried away here. Male Pleasure? Well, I have friends of both genders, and I can assure you none of them give me pleasure in the way you are alluding to.

But assigning gender to any sort of vehicle is a long lasting tradition as others have mentioned.

If you enjoy your car you learn it's quirks, it's personality. You learn what it likes, what it doesn't like and it becomes a friend more than a bland machine. My favorite quote on cars was from Jeremy Clarkson, former top gear presenter. He said:

Quote:
It’s what non-car people don’t get. They see all cars as just a ton and a half, two tons of wires, glass, metal, and rubber, and that’s all they see. People like you or I know... we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities… You can develop a relationship with a car and that’s what non-car people don’t get… When something has foibles and won’t handle properly, that gives it a particularly human quality because it makes mistakes, and that’s how you can build a relationship with a car that other people won’t get.
link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoRI89hsn0M

That's beautiful. My favorite cars of all time have been notoriously unreliable, finicky and difficult at best. I would spend my weeknights trying to make it to this weekend's show or cruise, trying to find what this beast will be upset by next and satisfy it's insatiable need for time, money, attention and care. I gotta be honest, in hindsight the times that my project cars both got me to my destination and home are rarely memorable. It's when it won't start, for no immediately discernible reason at all, that the adventure begins.

I guess this is where some men make the connection to women, but I never went for those girls so I don't really get it. My wife is right with me on the love of cars though. She gets a smile on her face when one of our "toys" gives us a problem. Sure, in the moment it can be difficult. But I usually end up with some new friends and soon after we'll have a story that starts with "this one time, 100 miles from home...".

Old 08-17-2016, 04:44 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
My vehicles are its...some of them with a sh in front.

My boat is a her. The reason is lost to history but they've been "hers" for thousands of years.
My boat also has a name...because she has to. She is a documented vessel, not registered in any State, only with the US Coast Guard. There are no numbers displayed. She is known only by her name and home port...just like the Titanic, LOL.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Why do so many men refer to their vehicle as "she"?
Obviously the vehicle does not have a vagina.
Matter of fact, being a machine, it has absolutely no sex gender.
The correct phrase when talking about one's vehicle would be, my car, my truck, my suv.
Why do guys insist on calling their car she?
I never hear women call their vehicles she, or for that matter, he.

Bob.
Bob...my car is named Mickey. After Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees. All my cars have been named. Sheldon the Sentra, Samantha the Saturn, Burt, the Carolla.

All have been sticks -- that had nothing to do with anything.

My parents named a few of their cars. One started out as Vlad, the Impala (haha) but ended up being called The Rolling Queen Mary because it was such a boat.

People who really care about their cars name them to give them a bit of a personality. It's a little odd. I know when I got rear ended in Burt, the guy who hit me (I was stopped) pushed me into the stopped car in front of me, and in turn pushed her into the stopped car in front of her. Who had hit the car in front of her -- a classic five car pile up.

I was shaken and upset, but not hurt and I kept saying poor Burt, because Burt was totaled, accordianed from front and back...and a cop walked up and said Who is Burt? And I started sobbing Burt's the car! The cop comforted me, but he was smiling when he did it.

I will always name my cars. I keep them for a long time.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i have not only named some of my cars, i have also given them either theme music, or a commercial that fits the car in the abstract. for instance, the commercial that best fits my grand marquis is the 1958 mercury parklane radio commercial from the jack carney radio show of that year.

at some point in time i will also identify a theme song for the car, i might even name this car as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:10 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,981 times
Quote:
How do you know "sam" was definitely male?
Did you get male pleasure from it?
Saying he's definitely male is absolutely ridiculous.
For C sake, you are talking about a vehicle, not a human.

Bob.
Obviously from your response you have no desire to learn where it came from. Why gripe over something so petty? Bad day at work?

Old 08-17-2016, 10:31 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
My trucks have always been my boys.
My sports cars have been my little girls.
I have had many gender neutral cars.
My bikes have usually been ladies. My wife lusted after my bike and found me a bike I have drooled over since they had came out in 1997. She took custody of my Daisy Duke and she is now a dude.

The new bike is definitely a woman. A real b*tch actually I love to ride.

All vehicles take on personalities due to personal traits and ticks.

The b*tch and her bike behind it

Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
To me, they have always been Its. Its with personality, but not gender.

People refer to boats as She also, which I also do not agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive