Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever flipped off another motorist?
Yes 136 79.53%
No 35 20.47%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
2 or 3 times. Usually I just scream in my car.
That's what I do at times when someone does something that pisses me off, I just yell at them in my car for a while. The most I've ever done was sometimes drive alongside the offender and stare at them for a few seconds and other times I might raise my hands up in the air in disbelief and mouth 'WTF' towards them.

But other than that, I really don't do much because mostly I don't see the point in escalating the situation and having something bad happen over a nothing incident. And also I enjoy driving and part of making driving enjoyable is being courteous and letting things slide when in the grand scheme of things, someone cutting you off or butting in front of you isn't a very big deal. At most maybe just get abit angry for a while and then move on instead of getting angry and doing something stupid and putting yourself and others in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,264 times
I've never flipped off another driver.

I remember this one time a driver flipped me off. I put up the two finger peace sign and smiled. He started laughing and ended up waiving. Guess it changed his whole demeanor.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:17 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Yes, everyday when I'm down here in Miami. You have NO IDEA how bad these drivers are. They don't give a crap. They cut you off, almost kill you and then flick you off!!

I also do the international hand gesture of WTF at least 30 times a day down here

Old 09-13-2016, 12:57 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
Came really close one time. On November 12, 2014 an older Toyota pickup truck (early '90s) pulled out in front of me and I almost hit him, I almost had to run off the road so I didn't hit him. I almost ate airbags for breakfast on that cold Wednesday morning.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:03 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I had a coworker who flipped off at least 1 person everyday on the way to work. He was so high strung he had quarters just to throw out the window at people.
Pennies are cheaper. I have a crown bag half full of em in the cup holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Like, today? Not so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
It's been about a week
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I've only done it once so far today

I still gotta drive home though
I do it quite often. Probably once a week. I think 99% of the time its either me returning the favor, or its because they sped up/slowed down to just to block me out of the lane. I don't get mad at people who drive slow. Its the ones who make an effort to not let me go on my way. I have gone so far as to either then do a fake swerve at em, brake check the vehicle in front of em. I've even followed people for a good little ways completely out of my way. If you don't want to let me go on with my life, I will usually make sure you regret becoming part of it.

I've driven through warzones and into shooting. I really have no problem getting into a wreck. If I think I'm right, I PROMISE you WON'T win at a game of chicken, (especially when its usually some idiot in an econobox who takes it personal I'm quicker, and my pickup weighs twice as much as their car).

Somebody flipping me off, I couldn't care less. If I think you did something wrong, I flip back, if not, I usually laugh and keep going on my way.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:06 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I saw this question in the New York magazine recently, and about half the people responding said yes.

I have once, but it was to a friend. So, more like a greeting than a hostile gesture.
Oh long ago I did, but I grew older and quit. The thing which seemed to send some drivers into a rage was simply to do an open mouth tongue stick out. That seemed to upset a few I saw enough that they were ready to come out of their cars to fight....

Old 09-13-2016, 04:07 AM

274 posts, read 252,749 times
I HAVE flipped off drivers in the past, but I stopped doing it years ago. It doesn't make the other person a better driver, and I don't want to be a road rage participant.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
Very very rarely, but once this summer.

In Bar Harbor, Maine, in the summer, the population goes from 11,000 on the island to 55,000. We have a lot of idiots. This summer, I encounter this guy the had dripped his wife off at the Riteway Drugstore, and was parked in the road right next to it, which leads to parking there, and is also a street. I put on my turning signal and waited. Cars line up behind me on the busy thorofare. I blow my horn. I blow my horn again. He continues to block the road because he is unwilling to drive down it and look for a parking place behind like everyone else. I blow my horn a third time. Finally I realize he is a total rude A-whole, and doesn't care about anyone but his own needs, and I have to drive away. I needed a prescription, and had to come back another day for it. I gave him the bird as I was going by. He seemed clueless.

When I have to do that, I drop the wife off and then drive around the block several times while I wait for her to come out, and then wait for me.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
I HAVE flipped off drivers in the past, but I stopped doing it years ago. It doesn't make the other person a better driver, and I don't want to be a road rage participant.
I lived in the Middle East for a year and you cannot believe the way people (mostly locals) drive there - at least 10x the weekly number of obnoxous incidents as you might find driving in a major US Metro. I found myself in multilingual shouting matches on numerous occasions; eventually I learned to let it go in most cases. Interesting note: If you are caught flipping the bird in some countries it is grounds for deportation !

Yes, I used to flip the bird here but it was more a reflection of my demeanor than the offending driver so now I control myself. I may honk or flash my lights to bring attention to their (bad) driving and/or I might look and glare but that's about as far as it goes.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Like, today? Not so far.
Really! I was thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive