Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever flipped off another motorist?
Yes 136 79.53%
No 35 20.47%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:08 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times

Advertisements

I used to do it maybe several times a year in my younger days. I'd also get into road rage, like cutting other drivers off, yelling, and some other things I won't mention. One lady called the cops on me and a cop showed up to my house a few hours later. Nothing became of it though. A couple years ago I had my most serious case of road rage where a guy followed me after I honked at him, got out of his car, and I ended up hitting him with my car. I was investigated for 2nd degree assault but fortunately no charges were brought. In my mind these were all retaliatory acts, nothing was started by me. However, looking back I probably instigated some of these incidents with my driving. I'm a lot better now, at least I like to think so. After that assault case I know there are definitely consequences to acting on rage. I still get very upset, but I control myself a lot better these days. A lot of people talk about guns, but I'm willing to bet guns represent a small fraction of deaths caused by road rage in this country. I forgot the exact numbers on a study I read, but there are a whole lot of deaths caused by road rage vehicle crashes every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 03:18 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Add to those running through a very late yellow light which turns red while they are in front of you. Years ago I would be flipping them off and running my mouth. Now with all the nuts out there I sit there with my hands on the wheel and my mouth shut.
legally you have to be in the intersection before it turns red. Its amazing to me how many people don't know to "claim" the intersection when making a left turn.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:55 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,761 times
Flipped off, yelled at, swore at, blared horn. Yeah, I've 0 patience when it comes to idiots on the road and I will, and have, gone off. Haven't had to do any of that in the last week or so, so that's a plus, but in the past I've nearly been hit numerous times because people aren't paying a lick of attention. Usually it's because they are on the phone.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:32 AM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Flipped off, yelled at, swore at, blared horn. Yeah, I've 0 patience when it comes to idiots on the road and I will, and have, gone off. Haven't had to do any of that in the last week or so, so that's a plus, but in the past I've nearly been hit numerous times because people aren't paying a lick of attention. Usually it's because they are on the phone.

I pass a school zone in the mornings- 20 MPH flashing lights- guard- my meanness comes out about 8 am with the selfish -arrogant -self serving idiots flying through at 50 - and if I get close enough show them MY phone taking pics--- I dont- just show as if I am --azzhxxxxx

Old 09-14-2016, 05:34 AM

216 posts, read 1,006,924 times
I have to frequently to friends because it's an inside joke I no longer remember the origins of.

I've had a passenger do it without being asked when some lady was tailgating me.

I, myself, have only done it once in hostility. I was on a long distance drive one night, in the middle of nowhere, on a two-lane in each direction interstate. I had passed a semi and started going uphill, still in the left lane. I realized I ought to be in the right lane as I was going kind of slow. Just before I turned on my blinker some guy comes racing up behind me and starts flashing his high beams. I was annoyed but I figured I was gonna change lanes anyway, so I moved to the right and he passed.

Well I got to the top of the hill, and ended up passing some slower vehicles going downhill. It was a hilly area so as soon as I got to the bottom of the hill... another huge hill to go up! So as I'm going up, I realize, yet again I'm in the left lane and I'm not going very fast. Just before I turn on my blinker, someone races up behind me and starts flashing their high beams. Apparently I passed the guy going downhill. I was feeling cranky and annoyed that this guy kept flashing his damn high beams at me only seconds after appearing so I flipped him off. Since it was dark and he had his high beams on, he saw, sped up and passed me on the right. He rolled his window down to flip me off as he passed.

I laughed. It was raining; he put in more effort than it was worth.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:20 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,089 times
Yesterday when I was making a protected left turn in an intersection with two left turn lanes another driver that was turning from the other protected left turn lane pulled up to me at the next red and signaled me to lower my window. Idk wtf he wanted but I ignored him which only got him angrier.

There's no way I would lower my window just because another driver wants to talk to me.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Never.

Some people carry guns.
I tend to ignore idiots and try to chalk up the bad driving to lack of training, lack of concentration, bad day...etc. I don't think flipping them off will do anything but make them mad, make their day worse or (most of all) get myself into an altercation.

Once I was following a car onto an on-ramp. A little old man walked along the side of the pavement. The car ahead swerved over towards him and honked, causing him to throw himself convulsively off into the ditch.

The two rednecks in the car laughed as I pulled alongside to v-off in a different direction. As I passed they started hooting at me (I was much younger then and every bit as attractive ) I turned to them and clearly mouthed the derogatory slang for anal orifice. And they became instantly enraged. As I had my German Shepherd dog in the car with me they yelled "I'd rather f- your dog!" and I smiled and mouthed "I know".

That's the time that sticks in my head. If they'd been armed I'm pretty sure they were mad enough to shoot me. Glad we were heading in opposite directions!!

Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,906 times
I had my first-ever fight with my now-wife over this. I was driving down the West Side Highway in Manhattan, she was in the passenger seat, I don't even remember what happened, but she flipped off a cab driver. I was like, "Oh my God, what the hell are you doing?! He could have a gun!" Turned into a pretty big argument.

We made up. That was 13 years ago. I've still never flipped anyone off, and she hasn't since.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:21 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Yesterday when I was making a protected left turn in an intersection with two left turn lanes another driver that was turning from the other protected left turn lane pulled up to me at the next red and signaled me to lower my window. Idk wtf he wanted but I ignored him which only got him angrier.

There's no way I would lower my window just because another driver wants to talk to me.
I've had folks do that to let me know I have a low tire or a light not working. Some folks really do just want to be helpful.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:23 AM

33 posts, read 25,576 times
I was flipped off by someone in a BMW M4 tailgating me when I was doing 95 so I slammed on the brakes to let him know to either pass or back off. The kicker was, first, I'm doing 95, second, there was more than enough room to get past me if the person wanted to go over 95. I then moved out of the way and the dude follows me on my tail...Uh, okay...I got off on my exit and the dude flew by. Not sure what he wanted exactly.

Driving in Florida necessitates a psychotherapist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive