Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever flipped off another motorist?
Yes 136 79.53%
No 35 20.47%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,319 times

Advertisements

Never flipped off motorists, although I make a point to do so with JAYWALKERS that cross mid block or when they are not supposed to like on green nonchalantly and expect oncoming traffic to accommodate them!!!

Just like the war on terror, there is no "neutral" position. Your driving behavior either enables jaywalking, or deters jaywalking. I for one deter jaywalking.

In no way am I advocating breaking the law or vehicular manslaughter, but I will not stop and signal jaywalkers to go ahead (extremely dangerous, just today I was on a road with 2 lanes going both ways and the driver furthermost to the right stopped and signaled with his hand to let a jaywalker pass but someone coming up on the left of him at the speed limit of 35 mph didn't see him and nearly hit the jaywalker). If I am to come to a stop I will honk and rev the engine but not signal them to pass to see if they stop or go back to the sidewalk or have the audacity to continue.

Furthermore, I will actively honk and rev my engine to let jaywalkers know they are not welcome, which usually leads them to stand in the road to the left or right of me and give me a finger. On roads with multiple lanes going in both directions separating by a median, if I see a jaywalker starting to enter my side of the road I will honk and rev my engine as well, which gets the law breakers angry.

PS: I am in no way anti-pedestrian. I always stop when pedestrians have the right of way, INCLUDING those unsignalized marked crosswalks that most other drivers seem to ignore. I am also mindful of pedestrians that have the right of way when I am making a right turn or unprotected left turn.

Always remember that the laws of physics are more powerful than the laws of any state or country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Never.

Some people carry guns.
Living in NJ most of my life flipping the bird was an everyday occurrence by many drivers.

Now living in NC and also having a gun in my possession as do many NC drivers, flipping the bird could be very dangerous. Not all gun owners are rational thinkers.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:36 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Felony assault.
Yeah, it probably was, but he was too drunk to call a cop.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:01 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,981 times
I grew up in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale - in the 60's)
Since they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em?
I've flipped off more NY, NJ, Ontario, PA, OH, or IL drivers than there are stripes in the road...

I moved to Atlanta, GA where on a GOOD DAY, your middle finger doesn't get exhausted...

I now live in Huntsville, AL and I'm so happy that people here KNOW HOW TO DRIVE! and the only time I put my arm out the window is to pick up my drive thru lunch or to wave to a passer by....

Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Hell, I just gave two people the finger this morning. Both of them weren't paying attention and would have hit my car if I hadn't hit the brakes and laid on the horn. One a young guy driving a Smart car (not too smart, my SUV would have killed you) and another an old guy in a small old pickup.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Hey, it's Chicago. We're a rude bunch. Actually it's been years since I've done that. It was for some moron in the passing lane driving slow and talking on his cell phone. Of course the entitled rectum could see no wrong in what he was doing and flipped me back. Whatever. He did finally get out of the passing lane and let me get ahead of him.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:33 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Yes. Also, when someone honks at me, sometimes I honk back if I'm mad.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 PM

924 posts, read 752,389 times
Not sure if this counts since I don't/can't drive, but I've definitely flipped off a few motorists before. Mostly because they've done one of the following:

- when stopped at a red light, pulled up into the clearly marked crosswalk, so I had to walk outside of the crosswalk to get around them.

- speeding through water puddles when I'm walking down the sidewalk.....apparently there's an unwritten rule that drivers here "must" attempt to get pedestrians wet.

- nearly hitting me in the crosswalk because they absolutely "had" to speed through it.

- not knowing how to park correctly, so anyone who parks next to you risks hitting your car when opening their door. Also, having your car windows tinted so darkly that nobody can see you're sitting in your car, and honking/getting annoyed when the other person tries to get out of their vehicle. (happened once when I was at the mall with my mom)

Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,950,643 times
What's everyone's take on New Mexico drivers and conditions. I think they drive like mad Max over there. Don't know why. There is so much open space and lack of people. The whole state has only 2 million people.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,649 times
I drive in the Philadelphia area. Most of my birds get flipped at NJ and NY drivers. Occasionally, a PA driver may get it too, as it seems that many people in this state don't know how to properly operate a turn signal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive