Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 10:45 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
just got a new Impala and while some of the brochure info shows CD slots in the dash, mine does not have one. Was a little annoyed at first but my Zune (120 GB/15,000 songs) and it's playlists will operate normally through the available aux jack. I do like the potential to play my music files thru the usb/MyLink interface and having those operating features and conveniences available. It only works with an iPod and I do not have one, but will likely pick one up one my free XM/Sirius subscription runs out. There appears to be some incompatibility issues with the older ipods that use a hard drive, so I may be limited to a smaller capacity Nano and will rotate my music files thru that device as necessary. Even still, I should be able to load about 150 full CDs onto a 16 GB Nano device and be able to access them through the cars interface and much easier than searching through the console for the next CD.
I thought they didn't make those anymore. I have one, but it is in the closet gathering dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 02:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I thought they didn't make those anymore. I have one, but it is in the closet gathering dust.

I bought mine new thru Amazon just as they were discontinuing their support and streaming function...about a year ago, looks like they're still available.

I have stubbornly refused to join the ipod cult because it has too many features that I don't need or want, the built in obsolescence, they don't have the capacity for my library and their music player used on my PC is not as good as what I have with Winamp.

My previous mp3 player (still have and use) was an old 20 GB brick Archos...no bells or whistles, just plays my music files and has proved to be indestructible.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,219 times
Quote:
I bought mine new thru Amazon just as they were discontinuing their support and streaming function...about a year ago, looks like they're still available.

I have stubbornly refused to join the ipod cult because it has too many features that I don't need or want, the built in obsolescence, they don't have the capacity for my library and their music player used on my PC is not as good as what I have with Winamp.

My previous mp3 player (still have and use) was an old 20 GB brick Archos...no bells or whistles, just plays my music files and has proved to be indestructible.
Google Play Music FTW, trust me. Get a cheap or used Android phone with an SD slot and just don't put a SIM in. A Moto G or a Blu phone will do the trick.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
My new 2107 Ford Explorer has a one CD player. My 2005 Ford Escape had a 5 CD player.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
just curious, how come you don't want to copy the discs to a file, and put that file on a usb thumb drive?

It will take a few minutes per cd, and cost $10-$20 for a thumb drive. Not only is it a lot easier to use once you do this, its easier to do while driving, and your cds and files will keep there quality.

But to try to answer, I would think your head unit would have an auxiliary input (probably in the back). You could then run a cord to a cd player that had a headphones jack.

Theres a good chance your stereo if it has usb and mp3, that it would have Bluetooth. Another way you might be able to play it off a phone, or if you have bluetooth and a way to connect cd, but the reality is CDs are a dying technology. Digital is just much more efficient, keeps its quality, takes up less space, and if you put all your music on a thumb drive.. if it gets lost or stolen, you just buy another one for $10 or $20, copy it and good as new.

+1, my stereo does, the entire face comes down to make the cd input visible.
Thumb drives are great, rip music from youtube videos, convert to MP3 and copy to drive.
I also got a MP3 player from Walmart for $20, holds hundreds of songs.
My volvo has a CD drive that eats the CD's , so its a gonner.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Google Play Music FTW, trust me. Get a cheap or used Android phone with an SD slot and just don't put a SIM in. A Moto G or a Blu phone will do the trick.

sounds great but I don't have a cell phone, nor an urge to obtain one.

ended up using a san disc 16GB thumb drive and am loading my music files (mp3) onto that. The Impala entertainment system will read and catalog those files by artist, album, genre and I can play whole albums at a time as it cycles thru each in order and provides artist/album/track/cover art info through the entertainment display. Should be able to get most of my CDs (already ripped) onto one or maybe at the most two thumb drives.

For some (probably proprietary nonsense) reason, that same usb port will not read my mp3 player.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:37 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
if you really want CD, just buy one and replace your head unit. if you still need those 9 CD changer, look for them in Amazon or Ebay

Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,219 times
Quote:
sounds great but I don't have a cell phone, nor an urge to obtain one.

ended up using a san disc 16GB thumb drive and am loading my music files (mp3) onto that. The Impala entertainment system will read and catalog those files by artist, album, genre and I can play whole albums at a time as it cycles thru each in order and provides artist/album/track/cover art info through the entertainment display. Should be able to get most of my CDs (already ripped) onto one or maybe at the most two thumb drives.

For some (probably proprietary nonsense) reason, that same usb port will not read my mp3 player.
Without a SIM card, it's not a cellphone. Basically. It's a little tablet. Or a music player with a camera and WiFi.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
My new 2017 Hyundai Sonata has a CD player in it. I hope they don't become dinosaurs, I don't do music from my phone or tablet.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:

My ex had an Archos!!!

I've managed to avoid the i-cult myself. I had two Dell DJ players, the Zune, and now I use my Note 5 as my MP3 player. For phones I had the Galaxy SII before I traded that in for the Note 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive