Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:03 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
To be fair (speaking as someone closing in on 50) it takes about 2-3 minutes to rip a CD to MP3 (or whatever audio format you want) to ultimately put hundreds of CDs on a thumb drive and never have to carry a cd again
Well, I'm a (relatively) young dude with conservative tastes, tech-wise. Guess there's a term for folks like me: Luddite, possibly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
A Ford representative told me that Ford and some other manufacturers are phasing out the CD players in favor of thumb/flash drives that take up less space leaving room for additional electronic devices an/or larger dash screens.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
I just use my phone to play music, linked via bluetooth.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:53 PM

269 posts, read 246,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaeB View Post
I plan on getting a 2017 Honda Accord Sport SE (replaces my Dieselgate VW Passat) next week and it has a CD player.
I ended up getting a 2017 Subaru Outback and my car DOES have a CD player.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:06 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I remember the Lexus LS was one of the last cars offering a tape/cd player combo. Given the demographic that buys those cars, it's not surprising.
Insult aside, I drive a Lexus LS and I love my 6 CD changer (there's no tape player). In fact, when I went shopping in 2014, the very reason I went with a CPO 2012 was because they took the CD changer out in 2013 (that, plus the ugly new grill and stupid Nav mouse). The reason I like it is that I have 2 cars and a boat. My Porsche is a 2005 and it has no ability to play from a phone or an Ipod or anything else. My boat has a CD player, but has a similar lack of other options. This, plus I hate trying to f*ck with an Ipod or phone while I'm driving. In fact, in LA even touching your phone will get you a ticket. Having CDs allows me to upload them to my desktop computer and my phone and then use them in other places.

Actually, this is the same reason I buy DVDs. I can't "stream" movies from my boat when I'm sitting in Catalina harbor, but I can always pop in a DVD for movie night.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Insult aside, I drive a Lexus LS and I love my 6 CD changer (there's no tape player). In fact, when I went shopping in 2014, the very reason I went with a CPO 2012 was because they took the CD changer out in 2013 (that, plus the ugly new grill and stupid Nav mouse). The reason I like it is that I have 2 cars and a boat. My Porsche is a 2005 and it has no ability to play from a phone or an Ipod or anything else. My boat has a CD player, but has a similar lack of other options. This, plus I hate trying to f*ck with an Ipod or phone while I'm driving. In fact, in LA even touching your phone will get you a ticket. Having CDs allows me to upload them to my desktop computer and my phone and then use them in other places.

Actually, this is the same reason I buy DVDs. I can't "stream" movies from my boat when I'm sitting in Catalina harbor, but I can always pop in a DVD for movie night.
But if you had spent more time fiddly-dicking around with computers, that would have taken up the time you spent earning the money to have a Lexus, and a Porsche, and a boat at Catalina (one big enough to have "movie night"!). So you see, you wouldn't have had this problem if you had just spent more time doing things like burning CDs onto thumb drives.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:06 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,314 times
It floors me in an age of Pandora and Spotify that this is even a topic. Just plug your phone into your car radio and go. No need for a flash drive or ripping cd's at all. I don't get why all the complexity everyone is creating.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
It floors me in an age of Pandora and Spotify that this is even a topic. Just plug your phone into your car radio and go. No need for a flash drive or ripping cd's at all. I don't get why all the complexity everyone is creating.
Don't those cost money?

Old 01-09-2018, 02:16 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,137 times
My car is a 2016 and it has a cd player. However, the first time that you put a cd in the player it rips it to an internal storage drive and you no longer need to physically use that cd ever again. I think I have used the slot a couple of times in two years, mainly out of curiosity. I borrowed a cd from a neighbor to test the cd ripper function.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:07 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
My car is a 2016 and it has a cd player. However, the first time that you put a cd in the player it rips it to an internal storage drive and you no longer need to physically use that cd ever again. I think I have used the slot a couple of times in two years, mainly out of curiosity. I borrowed a cd from a neighbor to test the cd ripper function.
You borrowed a CD from a neighbor??

K-Man to Doc Brown! K-Man to Doc Brown! Things are worse in 2018 than we thought!!

Seriously though, that ripper function sounds cool. Does it automatically add meta-data(Title/Artist/Year/Genre etc) to the rips?

Still, it is good to have CDs waiting for you back at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive