Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,730,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
And people who listen to talk/information radio, and people who listen to local sports broadcasts, and people who still want local sources for local news. People listening to radio in their cars is probably what's keeping the industry alive.
I'm the opposite, I listen to XM because I want to tune out anything local. When I'm listening to the radio in the car it's my escape from the local drama and goings on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,769,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I don't know anyone other than collectors and hobbyists that want to mess with anything involving a disc or tape anymore.

I also question how long traditional AM/FM radio receivers will remain in cars.
Radio will remain because it's a very good medium for streaming audio compared to Cellular radio. FM does not have as much interference issues and easier for towers to repeat the signal than cellular.

A FM radio can run on 1 AA battery for days while a smartphone cannot play streaming music for a whole day on a 2000maH battery which is over 8xAA batteries.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 AM

15,818 posts, read 20,598,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Audiophiles, particularly classical music aficionados, still prefer the superior sound quality of CD versus today's popular but lossy formats.

Most often, i'll stream music from my phone via Bluetooth, or use my Ipod hooked up via USB, but there's always a loss of quality.

For some of the music that I really want to hear in outstanding quality, I will buy a CD.

Still though, 99% of my listening is done via Bluetooth link to my infotainment center, but I'm glad my model '14 car still has a CD player.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,377,478 times
Did not read the whole thing, but I will chime in that I much much prefer just shoving a CD into a slot, versus fiddling around for hours to move files from CD to computer to memory stick or equivalent, then figure out how to play the files in my car. Oh, don't forget that for a large number of CDs you also have to figure out how to defeat the anti-copying provisions before you can store the files.

I also am resisting paying Apple, Sirius, or equivalent a monthly fee in perpetuity to listen to music.

"Cloud" storage sounds like a wonderful idea. Store your critical files (OK, music is not critical) on a server owned by "someone" located "somewhere" with security of "some type". What could possibly go wrong?

Just like Bic pens and spiral notebooks have not been eliminated by e-mail and word processing, CDs will not be eliminated by successor technologies. Less common, yes, but not eliminated.

I dread the day which has not yet arrived when my chosen vehicle is not available with a CD player and I have to rig up some kind of kludge.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,377,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You should start working on copying your CDs and if you use iTunes you can store the songs there
Some of us have full time jobs and families, plus other interests that don't involve computers. Taking a CD out of the case and shoving it into the slot is near zero time investment.

Frankly, I consider every second fiddling with a computer (as opposed to using it as a tool) a second lost from my life.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:09 AM

154 posts, read 177,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
But again, that sounds like a lot of work, and half the videos I find on YouTube have TERRIBLE sound quality. I don't want to have to convert anything, I just want to stick the stupid cd into the slot and play it.
Ok, you make a good point. I felt the same way when Apple iMacs came with no floppy disk drive in the late 90's.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,523,263 times
I just got a car with an auxiliary chord input but I still like CDs. Sound quality is much better and it's easier to control from the steering wheel. Plus the songs stay in order, many MP3 players sort album songs alphabetically.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,280,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah I don't know anyone who listens to AM radio, expect for a couple of hardcore religious people who want to listen to preaching and gospel music all day.
I listen to sports talk.
I also love baseball on the radio. They used to be on AM but they moved to FM a couple of years ago.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I listen to sports talk.
I also love baseball on the radio. They used to be on AM but they moved to FM a couple of years ago.
I also listen to AM radio sometimes, in the car and in the house. Mainly KNX 1070 news radio and a few talk stations.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:21 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,755,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I also listen to AM radio sometimes, in the car and in the house. Mainly KNX 1070 news radio and a few talk stations.
also talk radio sounds better on AM - it just doesn't sound right on FM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive