Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:01 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,521,364 times

Advertisements

Review them on YELP!

Then go to the AZ attorney general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 PM

805 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I bought it from a lot, how would I get an independent mechanic before rolling it off the lot?
You can smack you're head all you want, you still brought this on yourself.

If the seller won't let you drive the car to a mechanic, pay the mechanic to visit the seller with you. It's not hard to figure out.

Quote:
I find that big government is only big government when people don't benefit from it.
That's because you have no knowledge how life is in Europe....but then I guess you are a Govt employee living of the tax payer dime

Last edited by Cranston; 01-22-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 02:12 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Here in PA, once you take delivery, it's yours unless the dealer has a stated return policy.

I once signed a buyer's order for a car but didn't take delivery that day since they didn't have time to prep it. The next morning I realized I could get a better price elsewhere. I made up a BS story about losing my job that morning and the dealer allowed me to cancel the deal. As I had not taken delivery yet.
I find most dealers in my region prep their vehicles (new & used) prior to making them available for sale. Once the buyer agrees to the purchase and begins finalizing the documents with the finance manager, it's a matter of running the vehicle through the wash rack, and affixing the temporary tag. The vehicle is ready to be driven away by the time the buyer finishes signing all the documents.

With immediate delivery like that, if buyer's remorse sets in, the buyer has essentially no time to back out of the deal.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:
I'll take responsibility for that. It's getting fixed after I complained about the way the salesman and financier wanted me to come back two more times after I mentioned the lock didn't work and to sign new paperwork even though I just signed it already on Thursday night. Plus at the time the salesman wanted me to come 8-4 when he was there and charge me for the replacement. I wish I would have known he was a total snake before hand...

Guess I'll chalk up that for experience.
Yeah, don't buy from them again, and check reputations of other places before you buy.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:14 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
No its called bigger Government. As the poster wrote, it leads to more laws. More laws equal higher prices and less choice for the consumer. Less choice in cars to buy and less choice in companies selling cars. New cars in Europe can be 50% more than the cost in the US, that's the true price of regulations.

Your buying strategy was wrong. You should have paid an independent mechanic to check the car over before buying.
No, it's your reasoning that's wrong. Legislating something doesn't make it more expensive necessarily; it merely gives a process legal guidelines where none existed before. And sometimes it's a good idea. I don't think it is in this case, but consumer protections exist for a reason. That's why we have mechanics look at used cars before buying them (at least I always do). And although used cars are generally sold "as is" with not warranty, any used car buyer can negotiate a warranty with the seller, if the parties agree to it.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times
Did you go over his head to the sales-manager or owner? IMHO they should provide you with a working key. Assuming that is the only reason you want to return the car, make yourself a nuisance on that issue.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times
Quote:
I find that big government is only big government when people don't benefit from it. Take taxes, people hate that but tax prep is an entire industry that we would see shut down. Through most proposals we would see 1 million people enter unemployment, fall onto social security, or be employed in a different yet likely lower paying job (unless they have business tax abilities and we still have corporate taxes.) Plus it removes all those credits and depictions we enjoy each April when we don't have enough withholding.

The other side to over-regulation is the lack of regulation. Take pollution for example. We saw the effects of pollution in the 1950's with the overuse of DDT on grass and fields yet we didn't look at animals or plants that effect us by eating them.

I bought it from a lot, how would I get an independent mechanic before rolling it off the lot?
I bought a used car this summer. I took at least 6 prospective cars to off site mechanics for a pre-purchase inspection before I made my choice. It only takes about 30 minutes and they do them all the time.

it was time consuming, but it did help me avoid some lemons.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:33 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,786,698 times
A 3-day grace period would be hell especially on long weekends when the beach is calling. Of course no one here would complain about "new" sports cars, convertibles and SUVs with several hundred miles on them and the slight smell of saltwater and musty swim trunks.

...or maybe you just need a truck to move some mulch or appliances to help a friend move. Why not...right?

Maybe your state has some special rules for tent sales. Mine does. Look into that or just suck it up and make sure you are satisified with the terms and conditions before you take delivery next time.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
A 3-day grace period would be hell especially on long weekends when the beach is calling. Of course no one here would complain about "new" sports cars, convertibles and SUVs with several hundred miles on them and the slight smell of saltwater and musty swim trunks.

...or maybe you just need a truck to move some mulch or appliances to help a friend move. Why not...right?

Maybe your state has some special rules for tent sales. Mine does. Look into that or just suck it up and make sure you are satisified with the terms and conditions before you take delivery next time.
I actually am chalking it up for tent sales (which are exempt from the 3-day period regardless of if it isn't a thing to begin with. I will be more mindful next time, I already mentioned that actually.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Did you go over his head to the sales-manager or owner? IMHO they should provide you with a working key. Assuming that is the only reason you want to return the car, make yourself a nuisance on that issue.
I did, I called the sales rep three times, no answer. Finally called the dealership and got through and it cleared up. It already happened by the time I am posting but it was an annoyance to go back and back to try and get the paperwork (I never got my copy of the lease terms), sign new paperwork (possibly the cause of the previous) and the working remote (which according to the rep, I had to pay for programming even though he "allowed the replacement to be on the house.") This constant returning was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive